2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Althea,

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Ironically, if the Senate would have held a trial the first time, Pence would probably have been re elected as POTUS in November. McConnell screwed the pooch.
    And THOUSANDS of Americans would be alive today who have been needlessly lost to the dismal pandemic response (if you can even call it one.)
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Althea (01-14-2021)

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    An impeachment trial decides two things: whether the accused should be removed from office, and whether the accused should be banned from office. While the first issue will no longer be important after January 20th, the second will still be. It is completely constitutional to have the Senate decide the second issue.

And Republican Senators will be very interested in banning trump from office. If trump runs in 2024, he will almost certainly win the nomination, and lose the general election. If Republicans can ban him from office... They have a much better chance of winning.

What might happen is that Republicans would not show up to vote on the impeachment trial. They only need two thirds of the Senators voting to ban trump from office. If 25 Republicans decide to go on vacation that day...
    Would they be able to establish a quorum? Does impeachment require all the Senators to be there?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,022 Times in 8,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    going forward to die.
    There will be more Democrats than last time, Democrats will manage how it goes forward, and the Republicans will be more receptive to it all. It will be a trial in a Senate chamber which had been attacked by trump worshipers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-14-2021)

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Walt,

Would they be able to establish a quorum? Does impeachment require all the Senators to be there?
    The Constitution requires a quorum of 51 Senators, so there would have to be one Republican present, but that Republican would not have to vote.

So lets say 25 Republicans walk out, 25 Republicans vote not guilty, and 50 Democrats vote guilty, trump is convicted.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Althea (01-14-2021), PoliTalker (01-14-2021)

9. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

There will be more Democrats than last time, Democrats will manage how it goes forward, and the Republicans will be more receptive to it all. It will be a trial in a Senate chamber which had been attacked by trump worshipers.
    definitely not.

10. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,734 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

The Constitution requires a quorum of 51 Senators, so there would have to be one Republican present, but that Republican would not have to vote.

So lets say 25 Republicans walk out, 25 Republicans vote not guilty, and 50 Democrats vote guilty, trump is convicted.
    And that's exactly what I would expect McConnell to orchestrate. A passive 'yes' vote on guilty.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

11. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

definitely not.
    You may not like it, but the Senate and VP elections have been decided. Democrats have 50 seats in the Senate, and Harris will be the deciding vote in who controls the Senate.

12. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And that's exactly what I would expect McConnell to orchestrate. A passive 'yes' vote on guilty.
    You are correct. There are two reasons for this.

If trump runs in 2024, he will almost certainly get nominated, but also almost certainly lose the general election. This will really hurt the Republican Party. McConnell wants to ban trump from running.

And that trump thugs threatened McConnell twice in under a week. He wants trump out of power permanently to save his own life.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-14-2021)

14. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

NICE!

15. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

If trump runs in 2024, he will almost certainly get nominated, but also almost certainly lose the general election. This will really hurt the Republican Party. McConnell wants to ban trump from running.

And that trump thugs threatened McConnell twice in under a week. He wants trump out of power permanently to save his own life.
    Not to mention that Trump has made a fool out of him. Payback time.

16. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,734 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Yep. Further...McConnell will never run for Senate again. He has no worries about a primary challenge. Unlike trump though, McConnell cares about the future of the party.

So even though is actions will have zero effect on his political future, he's such a piece of shit he's not satisfied with a stacked Supreme Court, hundreds of unqualified judges in lifetime positions, and most corporations paying almost nothing in taxes.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

17. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

I saw the cops letting people in and taking selfies.
    Your point? You're talking about American police here, child!

18. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep. Further...McConnell will never run for Senate again. He has no worries about a primary challenge. Unlike trump though, McConnell cares about the future of the party.

So even though is actions will have zero effect on his political future, he's such a piece of shit he's not satisfied with a stacked Supreme Court, hundreds of unqualified judges in lifetime positions, and most corporations paying almost nothing in taxes.
    trump cares about the country, not the republican party. and you spin in it as "disloyal" or whatever you're doing with all this. silly.

19. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,920 Times in 13,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

It would be a much wiser move to keep the articles of impeachment from the Senate until after Biden's cabinet is seated, and the nation is moving in the right direction with respect to Covid.

By then, the investigation into trump's involvement in the terrorist actions at the Capitol, as well as his campaign violations in Ga will be finished. We already know that he pressured more than one person in Ga to falsify the ballot count. Who knows how many more will surface? Say nothing about staff who will be coming forward with information about the crimes committed after the election.

The House can add more articles of impeachment, and pressure a small handful of Senate Republicans to do the right thing. Imagine trump stroking out because he won't be able to ever run for office again? He can't fundraise for same, and he might even lose SS protection.

Clyburn says House may hold articles of impeachment until after Biden's first 100 days
    Why don't the Democrats go all the way with this then? They could impeach Nixon and try him. He was a corrupt President. Sure, he's dead but that never stopped a Democrat from voting. Why should it stop Democrats from impeaching someone?
    Maybe they could impeach a bunch of other conservatives that might run for President in 2024. That'd put them ahead of the game there!

Impeachment is done to remove someone from office. If they are no longer in office, there's no legal reason to impeach them...