Thread: Another leaving GOP

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,127 Times in 33,842 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,082 Times in 4,698 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Another leaving GOP

Instead, what we saw on Wednesday were Republicans, including their House leadership, pandering to a mob by pretending that Congress had any authority at all over the certified results of elections in the states. They did so on behalf of a president who appears incapable of relinquishing power in an orderly and lawful manner, as though power was his birthright and any election results to the contrary were ipso factoinvalid. Republicans in both chambers justified these actions not from any principle, but by explicitly citing the mobs of people that prefer to believe in conspiracy theories stoked by this president and his advisers. Rather than standing on republican and federalist principles, they lied to these supporters and led them to believe that Congress could actually change the results of these elections — and stoked the fury of the mobs when it didn’t happen...

That’s their choice; my choice is very clear. I don’t choose to participate in such a nihilistic political party. I’ll stand on my own as an independent, ready to vote for responsible conservatives but under no obligation to vote for or support anyone else. Until the GOP comes to its senses and returns to true republican and federal principles, I will not be back.

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2021/01/11/republican-no-gops-existential-crisis/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-11-2021), Cypress (01-11-2021), Guno צְבִי (01-11-2021), PoliTalker (01-11-2021), ThatOwlWoman (01-11-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,675 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Sometimes, traditional Republicans can be the most effective critics of the Trump crime family.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-11-2021), Phantasmal (01-11-2021), PoliTalker (01-11-2021), ThatOwlWoman (01-11-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

This feels too little, too late.

Where was this dude the last 5 years?

No lifeboat for him.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-11-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,483 Times in 7,579 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Kudos to those leaving the republicans, I did so in 1999. Shows they are principled.
    Unfortunately those in dim leadership that egged on the BLM/antifa riots or did nothing to counter BLM/antifa insurrections are basically complicit in those insurrections.
    They’re no different than those who still stand by Trump. No different at all.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post

No lifeboat for him.
    It took me eleven years to realize my vote for Ronnie Reagan was a mistake.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-11-2021), Guno צְבִי (01-11-2021), Phantasmal (01-11-2021), PoliTalker (01-11-2021), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2021)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Instead, what we saw on Wednesday were Republicans, including their House leadership, pandering to a mob by pretending that Congress had any authority at all over the certified results of elections in the states. They did so on behalf of a president who appears incapable of relinquishing power in an orderly and lawful manner, as though power was his birthright and any election results to the contrary were ipso factoinvalid. Republicans in both chambers justified these actions not from any principle, but by explicitly citing the mobs of people that prefer to believe in conspiracy theories stoked by this president and his advisers. Rather than standing on republican and federalist principles, they lied to these supporters and led them to believe that Congress could actually change the results of these elections — and stoked the fury of the mobs when it didn’t happen...

That’s their choice; my choice is very clear. I don’t choose to participate in such a nihilistic political party. I’ll stand on my own as an independent, ready to vote for responsible conservatives but under no obligation to vote for or support anyone else. Until the GOP comes to its senses and returns to true republican and federal principles, I will not be back.

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2021/01/11/republican-no-gops-existential-crisis/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    So, who is leaving the GOP?

Ed Morrissey?

And why did you not use quotes when clearly you were quoting another author?

I found myself wondering if you were a Republican.

I don't know how you can expect users to abide by the site rules when a moderator ignores them.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-11-2021)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,127 Times in 33,842 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,082 Times in 4,698 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Phantasmal,

So, who is leaving the GOP?

Ed Morrissey?

And why did you not use quotes when clearly you were quoting another author?

I found myself wondering if you were a Republican.

I don't know how you can expect users to abide by the site rules when a moderator ignores them.
    This article is written by Ed Morrissey, he is the one who authored the article.

You are mistaken in your accusations.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post

No lifeboat for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It took me eleven years to realize my vote for Ronnie Reagan was a mistake.
    No lifeboat for you either?

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    This article is written by Ed Morrissey, he is the one who authored the article.

You are mistaken in your accusations.
    A post which contains text not enclosed in quotation marks is assumed to have been written by the poster.

Simply including a link is not the same as using quotes.

How is a reader supposed to know whether the text was written by the poster or someone in a link?

Without quotes there is no way to know who wrote what without going to the link.

Very sloppy.

I see that you wrote none of the OP, but halfway through it the text font changes, suggesting it is not all from the same source.

Quotes would clear everything up.

That is why they are used.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

15. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Phantasmal (01-11-2021), Rune (01-11-2021)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    No lifeboat for you either?
    More like water wings.

I never hide or tried to tip-toe away from my votes for Bedtime for Bonzo, which is what some former George Dumbya supporters try to do.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

More like water wings.

I never hide or tried to tip-toe away from my votes for Bedtime for Bonzo, which is what some former George Dumbya supporters try to do.
    Me too. I admit I voted for Trump this last time as a protest vote against the these idiots yakking about reparations, the Mueller investigation, and the riots by BLM/antiffa this past summer. Not because I approved of him. If I could do it over again I would've voted my usual libertarian ticket. It's what I get for not adhering to my principles. I learned.
    That's the only vote I can recall regretting.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Phantasmal,

A post which contains text not enclosed in quotation marks is assumed to have been written by the poster.

Simply including a link is not the same as using quotes.

How is a reader supposed to know whether the text was written by the poster or someone in a link?

Without quotes there is no way to know who wrote what without going to the link.

Very sloppy.

I see that you wrote none of the OP, but halfway through it the text font changes, suggesting it is not all from the same source.

Quotes would clear everything up.

That is why they are used.
    Off topic, wrong forum and should be in p.m.

Furthermore your comments are pejorative, inappropriate and incorrect.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-11-2021)

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Rune,

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Off topic, wrong forum and should be in p.m.

Furthermore your comments are pejorative, inappropriate and incorrect.
    You are entitled to your view but unless you care to explain what you think is incorrect then such a claim is as empty as the claim that the 2020 election was 'fraudulent.'

Additionally, if my comment belongs in a PM, then so does yours.

ps: I've had my say on the matter and have no plans to pursue it unless there is a response which deems a subsequent comment.

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,375 Times in 53,261 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sometimes, traditional Republicans can be the most effective critics of the Trump crime family.
    And *that* right there -- despite being a lifelong liberal -- is why I value and want to preserve real Republicans.

Brakes. Brakes are what a car needs, a plane, an economic system, a country. A real Republican can tell me when my pipe dreams are not practical because [real reasons backed by data]. I will listen. In turn a real liberal can explain to that real Republican that yes, he's right but this is why it is a good idea for the country to support ____. He will listen. If we both listen, we can hammer things out for all the people. We used to do that.

We got way too much yelling and bullshit now, and way too little actual listening.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (01-11-2021), Phantasmal (01-11-2021), PoliTalker (01-11-2021)

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    And *that* right there -- despite being a lifelong liberal -- is why I value and want to preserve real Republicans.

Brakes. Brakes are what a car needs, a plane, an economic system, a country. A real Republican can tell me when my pipe dreams are not practical because [real reasons backed by data]. I will listen. In turn a real liberal can explain to that real Republican that yes, he's right but this is why it is a good idea for the country to support ____. He will listen. If we both listen, we can hammer things out for all the people. We used to do that.

We got way too much yelling and bullshit now, and way too little actual listening.
    I completely agree.

I WANT there to be a vibrant Republican party even though I am a Democrat. Each party keeps the other in check and provides a backdrop for reasonable dissent. This prevents either party from becoming too extreme. It is only when disrespect leads to a breakdown of communication that this breaks down.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-11-2021)