Thread: No, Trump Isn’t Guilty of Incitement

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Default No, Trump Isn’t Guilty of Incitement

No, Trump Isn’t Guilty of Incitement

Inflaming emotions isn’t a crime. The president didn’t mention violence, much less provoke it.

House Democrats have drafted an article of impeachment that accuses President Trump of “incitement to insurrection.” Acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin said Thursday that his office is “looking at all actors here and anyone that had a role” in the Capitol riot. Some reporters have construed that as including Mr. Trump.

The president didn’t commit incitement or any other crime. I should know. As a Washington prosecutor I earned the nickname “protester prosecutor” from the antiwar group CodePink. In one trial, I convicted 31 protesters who disrupted congressional traffic by obstructing the Capitol Crypt. In another, I convicted a CodePink activist who smeared her hands with fake blood, charged at then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in a House hearing room, and incited the audience to seize the secretary of state physically. In other cases, I dropped charges when the facts fell short of the legal standard for incitement. One such defendant was the antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-trum...J1MlpvqYIfljEg

The president didn’t mention violence on Wednesday, much less provoke or incite it. He said, “I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (01-11-2021), Truth Detector (01-11-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

John Adams, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, Paul Revere, and Patrick Henry all incited rebellion against their lawful king.

Anyone got anything to say about that?

Any hypocrites wanna howl about their SHAMEFUL UNDEMOCRATIC LAWLESS TREASONOUS behavior?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

Truth Detector (01-11-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post

Inflaming emotions isn’t a crime. The president didn’t mention violence, much less provoke it.

House Democrats have drafted an article of impeachment that accuses President Trump of “incitement to insurrection.” Acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin said Thursday that his office is “looking at all actors here and anyone that had a role” in the Capitol riot. Some reporters have construed that as including Mr. Trump.

The president didn’t commit incitement or any other crime. I should know. As a Washington prosecutor I earned the nickname “protester prosecutor” from the antiwar group CodePink. In one trial, I convicted 31 protesters who disrupted congressional traffic by obstructing the Capitol Crypt. In another, I convicted a CodePink activist who smeared her hands with fake blood, charged at then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in a House hearing room, and incited the audience to seize the secretary of state physically. In other cases, I dropped charges when the facts fell short of the legal standard for incitement. One such defendant was the antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan.

The president didn’t mention violence on Wednesday, much less provoke or incite it. He said, “I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”
    Naturally you neglected to mention the many attempts this president has made to inflame his supporters by pretending the election was illegal and in reality he had won by thousands of votes. A message that was repeated over and over to those who would believe anything he tells them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-11-2021), Guno צְבִי (01-11-2021), no worries (01-12-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

You Lost ... Go Away
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-11-2021)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Naturally you neglected to mention the many attempts this president has made to inflame his supporters by pretending the election was illegal and in reality he had won by thousands of votes. A message that was repeated over and over to those who would believe anything he tells them.
    President Trump said PEACEFULLY !!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Once again I mention every single attempt he has made to make his followers believe that the election was illegal, that he had won handily and that it was stolen away from him.

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,573 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 153 Posts

Oh, so NOW you want to take him at his word, but for the past 4 years when we've done that, it's all "he really meant THIS".

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He mentioned peace and peaceful protests!

just like some Dims mentioned peace and peaceful protests regarding BLM!!!!

Harris on BLM protests

“They’re not going to stop. They’re not going to stop,” she told him. “This is a movement, I’m telling you. They’re not gonna stop. And everyone beware because they’re not gonna stop. They’re not gonna stop before Election Day and they’re not going to stop after Election Day. And everyone should take note of that. They’re not gonna let up and they should not.”

The protests Harris spoke of were responsible for an estimated $1 – $2 billion in property damage between May 26 and June 8, 2020, and dozens of deaths, including that of retired St. Louis police officer David Dorn.

BEWARE? Why should anyone BEWARE of a peaceful protest?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    That’s not going to fly.

In order to incite an insurrection you have to *intend* for one to occur and it needs to be explicitly stated.

But go ahead and over reach, again. Between this and the literal *purging* of conservative voices on major platforms it’s becoming clear that the left is going to use this opportunity [more of a gift, from from some very stupid individuals] to go full China.

They will quickly blow through whatever political capital that was gained by last Wednesday.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    That’s not going to fly.

In order to incite an insurrection you have to *intend* for one to occur and it needs to be explicitly stated.

But go ahead and over reach, again. Between this and the literal *purging* of conservative voices on major platforms it’s becoming clear that the left is going to use this opportunity [more of a gift, from from some very stupid individuals] to go full China.

They will quickly blow through whatever political capital that was gained by last Wednesday.
    Personally my dear, I couldn't give a fuck what you think or spew. You have spent 4 years defending every dumb, idiotic, dangerous, or stupid thing this President has done. There is nothing he could ever say or do that would in the least bother you.
    In you favor, I know you would never join the hordes in DC, because you are a little cowardly cunt.

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,396 Times in 6,143 Posts
    Blog Entries

volkscrock
    Incitement was evident from what the world witnessed on TV. Now Trump's files and computers should be seized.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Of course you realize that this is an opinion piece, an opinion piece authored by a lawyer who referred to Obama as “Kenyan Muslim President,”
    (https://twitter.com/scottjshapiro), and his opinion is easily matched with others arguing the opposite view

Just because Trump didn’t verbally say “go bust into the Capital” doesn’t mean he didn’t incite the riot

A more objective view would be that at this point it is undecided (https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...f25bd18db5b268), arguments on both sides, which is why they would have a trial in the Senate

Regardless, his actions were definitely beneath that of a sitting President

20. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

no worries (01-12-2021)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

If asked, "Who incited the crowd on Wednesday?", I can't imagine any American that wouldn't honestly answer, "Trump."

If he didn't incite what happened, then incitement doesn't exist as a concept.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

moon (01-11-2021)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As Protest Violence Mounts, Rep. Ayanna Pressley Recklessly Calls for More 'Unrest in the Streets'

Massachusetts Democrat Rep. Ayanna Pressley, appearing on MSNBC Saturday to discuss taking to the streets to protest the Trump administration’s COVID-19 policies, decided it was high time to go with “unrest.”

https://www.westernjournal.com/prote...nrest-streets/

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

As Protest Violence Mounts, Rep. Ayanna Pressley Recklessly Calls for More 'Unrest in the Streets'

Massachusetts Democrat Rep. Ayanna Pressley, appearing on MSNBC Saturday to discuss taking to the streets to protest the Trump administration’s COVID-19 policies, decided it was high time to go with “unrest.”

https://www.westernjournal.com/prote...nrest-streets/

Ok, so the Trump-supporting crowd at the Capitol is just as bad as BLM and Antifa.

Got it. Thanks.
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”