Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As We Enter A New Dark Age.....

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default As We Enter A New Dark Age.....

Nearly a third of people worldwide back the use of torture in prisons in some circumstances, a BBC survey suggests.
    Although 59% were opposed to torture, 29% thought it acceptable to use some degree of torture to combat terrorism.

While most polled in the US are against torture, opposition there is less robust than in Europe and elsewhere.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/6063386.stm

Everyone that answered yes should be tortured and then asked the question again. Its easy to say yes when you are sat in comfort with your fat arse in an armchair.
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Something is wrong with this:

Some 36% of those questioned in the US agreed that this use of torture was acceptable, while 58% were unwilling to compromise on human rights

The number "approving" of torture is shamefully high yes, but funny how it tracks closely to bush's current approval ratings. Anyway, high or not, it is still a definite minority.

I don't believe the poll. I believe a majority of Americans do support this, but don't want to acknowledge it. They want to be "kept safe" by daddy bush, whatever safe means to them. Certainly, it doesn't mean having access to affordable health care.

Anyway, I think a lot of them are outright lying. If they weren't, why is bush getting away with it?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

why is bush getting away with it?

Because it is easy to say yes, when you sit in the comfort of an armchair....
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AnyOldIron View Post
    why is bush getting away with it?

Because it is easy to say yes, when you sit in the comfort of an armchair....
    And then lie to pollsters about it?

I wonder who is better...the 36% percent who come out and admit they dont' give a shit who does what to whom as long as they can go happy-assing around believing they are "safe", or the ones who feel the same way but don't have the guts to admit it.

Whatever, they all make me sick.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wonder who is better...the 36% percent who come out and admit they dont' give a shit who does what to whom as long as they can go happy-assing around believing they are "safe", or the ones who feel the same way but don't have the guts to admit it.

They are equally barbaric. At least one has the courage of their primitive convictions.

Friedrich Nietzsche

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The dark side is seductive to those weak of mind.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here are the two questions posed to gain these results ... (unlike the pic they published)

*Clear rules against torture should be maintained because any use of torture is immoral and will weaken international human rights standards against torture.

*Terrorists pose such an extreme threat that governments should now be allowed to use some degree of torture if it may gain information that saves innocent lives.

My concern is how one personally views torture... and I believe there is not a clear line as to where interrogation stops and torture begins. I believe if people were to be shown that picture as an example of torture... an overwhelming majority would dissaprove, on the other hand I believe there are many that would define torture as being given 1 meal a day as opposed to 3. Is with holding a meal torture or a method of interrogation?
    Once again... where are the lines of degrees...when defning torture? When does interrogation stop being interrogation and when does torture takeover? Is this a morality play? And if so, who's morailty is being used to judge torturous and/or interrogation methods?

Thats what I get out of this article .....
    ""Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington "

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Once again... where are the lines of degrees...when defning torture?

Torture is clearly defined by the world community through the UN.

Currently, certain governments are attempting to 'work around' the definition, largely by using rhetorical devices such as mixing semantics.

Friedrich Nietzsche

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Darn AnyOld is Anti-semantic

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Them bloody semantics..... lol

Friedrich Nietzsche

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Them bloody semantics..... lol
    They deserve to be sectioned off into their own little books, maybe we'll call them dictionaries!
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nearly a third of people worldwide back the use of torture in prisons in some circumstances, a BBC survey suggests.
    Although 59% were opposed to torture, 29% thought it acceptable to use some degree of torture to combat terrorism.

While most polled in the US are against torture, opposition there is less robust than in Europe and elsewhere.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/6063386.stm

Everyone that answered yes should be tortured and then asked the question again. Its easy to say yes when you are sat in comfort with your fat arse in an armchair.
    you were always cool

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thank you. In the intervening years since my last visit, I have become neither left nor right, neither liberal nor conservative. There are too many flaws in both ideologies and it is too flawed to argue from a dogmatic position.

Don't be disappointed if I disagree with people I used to agree with. I will always present a reasoned argument and avoid faeces hurling. Unless it's Dixie and his missing 1/3rd remainder.

Still very much disagree with torture.

Friedrich Nietzsche

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Facts are rarely contentious. It's in their interpretation that people disagree.

Friedrich Nietzsche