Thread: Remembering Christ at Christmas

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sorry, PeesNCarrots, not interested in your droolings. lol

This message is hidden because Peace n Safety is on your ignore list.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    How odd to belong to a faith yet know nothing about its history, including the history of its adherents and holy texts. Anyone reading only just the Gospels can clearly see that the authors mention that the Jews, under Roman rule in the Holy Land, were still allowed their own government underneath the Roman govt. The Sanhedrin tried Christ, then handed Him over to the Romans. That is typical of Roman rule of the time; they allowed occupied lands to keep their own customs, religions, leaders but they had to pay taxes, and offer some of the young men as soldiers to serve in the Roman army. I'm shocked that Sister Stench does not understand any of this. Well, not really, given the other idiocy the idiot has posted. lol
    ^ That is a lot of brainpower.

Let's face it, your garden-variety bible thumper is simply not willing to put in the work to be an authentic Christian. Kierkegaard maintained that being an authentic Christian is extremely hard work; being a phony Christian is effortless.

There are bible thumpers on this forum who are not aware Roman Catholics are Christians, some think the crucifixion happened on Easter, many believe the Rapture is sound Christian theology (which it is not).

I am the farthest thing from a Christian scholar or trained theologian. But I recognize my limitations, and defer to trained religious scholars and theologians to acquire what limited knowlege I have.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-29-2020)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    ^ That is a lot of brainpower.

Let's face it, your garden-variety bible thumper is simply not willing to put in the work to be an authentic Christian. Kierkegaard maintained that being an authentic Christian is extremely hard work; being a phony Christian is effortless.

There are bible thumpers on this forum who are not aware Roman Catholics are Christians, some think the crucifixion happened on Easter, they believe the Rapture is sound Christian theology (which it is not).

I am the farthest thing from a Christian scholar or trained theologian. But I recognize my limitations, and defer to trained religious scholars and theologians to acquire what limited knowlege I have.
    Ditto for me. I do NOT rely on copy-n-pastes from whacko blogs and pseudo emissaries of whatever faith is being studied.

What happens with the fundies is they are discouraged from reading any sources that conflict with what their preachers want them to know. Certain books, movies, magazines, web sites, and so on are forbidden and labeled with pejoratives that often include references to "of Satan" or "Satanic." You'll no doubt remember this from when the first Harry Potter book was released and became an instant best-seller. If you can control the people's emotions, information, and contacts you've got them in your pocket. It's interesting to me that conservatives in general, and fundie/evangelical people as well, share that common trait of allowing someone else to color their POV and even their spirituality.

For me personally, I think that knowing the truth (as far as is possible 2,000 years later) about Jesus, the context of his life, how the NT was written and translated and re-translated to put the spin on it of the times -- makes him a far more fascinating historical and holy figure. The fact that His message has lasted two thousand years, despite the thousands of attempts over the centuries to change it by various priests and ditzes like Sister Stench, speaks of its worth to all people, not just Christians.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (12-29-2020)

6. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Ditto for me. I do NOT rely on copy-n-pastes from whacko blogs and pseudo emissaries of whatever faith is being studied.

What happens with the fundies is they are discouraged from reading any sources that conflict with what their preachers want them to know. Certain books, movies, magazines, web sites, and so on are forbidden and labeled with pejoratives that often include references to "of Satan" or "Satanic." You'll no doubt remember this from when the first Harry Potter book was released and became an instant best-seller. If you can control the people's emotions, information, and contacts you've got them in your pocket. It's interesting to me that conservatives in general, and fundie/evangelical people as well, share that common trait of allowing someone else to color their POV and even their spirituality.

For me personally, I think that knowing the truth (as far as is possible 2,000 years later) about Jesus, the context of his life, how the NT was written and translated and re-translated to put the spin on it of the times -- makes him a far more fascinating historical and holy figure. The fact that His message has lasted two thousand years, despite the thousands of attempts over the centuries to change it by various priests and ditzes like Sister Stench, speaks of its worth to all people, not just Christians.
    I remember the Harry Potter book burnings by Republican Christian fundies!

Like you, I am fascinated with the history and philosophies of world religions. One cannot understand history and the human condition without understanding religion. That religious thinking is part and parcel of being human, goes back to the Druids and Stonehenge and even farther into the mists of time.

The New Testament is an extremely important piece of world literature worth the attention of any educated person. To me, the thing that is really radical about the NT is its treatment of the poor, the dispossed, the opressed. It is literally the first piece of literature in the western canon to treat the poor and oppressed with dignity and humanity, to advocate for them.

Prior to the NT, to the extent peasants and poor people ever appeared in literature, they were two dimensional caricatures, subjects of humour or even of scorn

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-29-2020)

8. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 56 Posts

Sorry, PeesNCarrots, not interested in your droolings. lol

This message is hidden because Peace n Safety is on your ignore list.
    “Blessed are ye when men shall reproach you, and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.”
    **Matthew‬ *5:11‬ *ASV‬‬
    https://www.bible.com/12/mat.5.11.asv

Bless you my child

9. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I remember the Harry Potter book burnings by Republican Christian fundies!

Like you, I am fascinated with the history and philosophies of world religions. One cannot understand history and the human condition without understanding religion. That religious thinking is part and parcel of being human, goes back to the Druids and Stonehenge and even farther into the mists of time.

The New Testament is an extremely important piece of world literature worth the attention of any educated person. To me, the thing that is really radical about the NT is its treatment of the poor, the dispossed, the opressed. It is literally the first piece of literature in the western canon to treat the poor and oppressed with dignity and humanity, to advocate for them.

Prior to the NT, to the extent peasants and poor people ever appeared in literature, they were two dimensional caricatures, subjects of humour or even of scorn
    The difference between our faith and every other belief system is the difference between "advice" and "news". Yeshua didn't just come to give advice. He came to bear our debt, to pay for the penalty of our sins (the wages of sin is death), so that we could be free to forgive one another as he forgave us. Its not advice that is the message of the bible, but it is news, good news. The news that God has intervened on our behalf, and has provided forgiveness for our sins.
    We are beings that need unconditional all accepting love. Our problem is that none of us know how to give this kind of love because all of our love is conditional in some way and is self serving. But God who is the embodiment of love, and who does not need love, became a willing sacrifice and gave his life as a ransom for sin. Why? Because we needed love. And so that we could receive the kind of love we as human beings so desperately needed - unconditional, accepting love and so that we could become the kind of people He created us to be.

It's not what we can do for God but what He has done for us. He entered "our world," He took on
    "our humanity," He bore "our sins," He died "our death, "He was resurrected for "our life," He's coming again for "our glorification."
    Paul in his letter to the Romans is urging us on the basis of all that he taught on, on the basis of all that has been done, he urges us to become living sacrifices:
    "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God". (Romans 12:1, 2 KJV)
    "therefore" meaning all Paul taught concerning grace and mercy, we have become thru Christ the objects of God's omnipotent, eternal love.

If we have not understood all that the mercies of God has done, if we have not understood doctrinally and theologically deep enough, all that Messiah has accomplished for us, then we have become useless to him. God is calling us to live our lives as living sacrifices unto him. Our problem is, we are so prideful that we are not willing to give up anything for others. When a sacrifice was laid upon the altar there was a great deal of suffering involved, the animal experienced pain and suffering. What are we willing to give up? What are we willing to place upon the altar? So that we can become a blessing to others, and become servants of the Most High God?

Blessin’s

10. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Orgasmal is really starting to fry my ass.
    My stars woman! Why do you continue to lock the truth down? I can see that prayer and fasting will be needed to cast out this rebellious spirit SMDH

Blessin’s

11. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peace n Safety View Post
    Orgasmal is really starting to fry my ass.
    My stars woman! Why do you continue to lock the truth down? I can see that prayer and fasting will be needed to cast out this rebellious spirit SMDH

Blessin’s

If you are thinking of harming yourself, please call the Suicide Hotline.

If you are thinking of harming others, please call the FBI. Or we will do it.

12. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    If you are thinking of harming yourself, please call the Suicide Hotline.

If you are thinking of harming others, please call the FBI. Or we will do it.
    Hahahaha. See bp? We can laugh at each other. Lighten up btcih

Blessin’s

13. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That’s right. Owned

Blessings