Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, canceled.2021.2, CFM, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scopes monkey trial & William Jennings Bryant

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default Scopes monkey trial & William Jennings Bryant

I assumed William Jennings Bryant was your garden variety bible thumper, but the backdrop adds some interesting texture and context.

It's easy to dismiss the anti-evolution position as sheer ignorance, but William Jennings Bryan's story reveals interesting roots for the fear that many people still hold about evolution.

- A liberal and free thinker on many other issues, Bryan took a stand against evolutionary theory after the First World War, when he became aware of the use of social Darwinism to justify militarism, imperialism, and the pseudoscience of eugenics. Eugenics advocated the elimination of undesirable characteristics from the human race through selective breeding.

- Bryan abhorred the idea, which was outlined in a book of the time called Headquarters Nights, a recounting of its author's evenings spent with German military and intellectual leaders. These leaders justified their militarism and imperialistic expansionism with classic social Darwinism-the national survival of the fittest, improvement of the superior Germanic race, and elimination of unfit races.

- Bryan became concerned for both his faith and his country. The enemy, in his mind, was not Germany but evolutionary theory, and Scope's crime was to pass this poison on to the next generation.

- In his promotion of Christian teachings over evolutionary theory, Bryan clearly stood in the way of what scientists would call progress. But it's worth noting that he also took a stand against the line of thinking that eventually led to the genocidal policies of Nazi Germany.

Source credit: Michael Shermer, Ph.D., Adjunct Professor, Claremont Graduate University

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (12-26-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

"China and Eugenic Genetic Engineering of Humans"
    https://nationalvanguard.org/2019/04...ing-of-humans/

"I CAN’T SEE why eugenic genetic engineering of humans is a bad thing for scientists to be doing, provided that they don’t do harm. There were people opposed to the automobile, too, a century ago, and they probably had more reason behind their arguments than the anti-eugenics screamers do. China’s already begun work in this area."

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "China and Eugenic Genetic Engineering of Humans"
    https://nationalvanguard.org/2019/04...ing-of-humans/

"I CAN’T SEE why eugenic genetic engineering of humans is a bad thing for scientists to be doing, provided that they don’t do harm. There were people opposed to the automobile, too, a century ago, and they probably had more reason behind their arguments than the anti-eugenics screamers do. China’s already begun work in this area."
    Genetic modifications to cure cancer and other diseases does not strike me as comparable to the social Darwinism promoted by imperialists, nationalists, and fascists 100 years ago.

Obviously though, there are undoubtedly ethical questions outside the realm of my current knowlege

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Genetic modifications to cure cancer and other diseases does not strike me as comparable to the social Darwinism promoted by imperialists, nationalists, and fascists 100 years ago.

Obviously though, there are undoubtedly ethical questions outside the realm of my current knowlege
    Would you be against a 'superior human'? More intelligent, healthier, better looking? (I can actually see the Chinese doing this)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Would you be against a 'superior human'? More intelligent, healthier, better looking? (I can actually see the Chinese doing this)
    The Nazi's tried that. There is real life experience for how that sort of thinking turns out. It is not something to be taken lightly.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Nazi's tried that. There is real life experience for how that sort of thinking turns out. It is not something to be taken lightly.
    It's inevitable in my opinion. Who doesn't think a more healthy, smarter, stronger, better looking human isn't a good idea.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's inevitable in my opinion. Who doesn't think a more healthy, smarter, stronger, better looking human isn't a good idea.
    I am happy with the way I look and feel.
    A fit body , good self-image, proper diet, exercise, self-improvement, and self-confidence is within reach of 90 percent of humans now, with proper commitment and without gene therapy.

I wish my hair had not gone prematurely white, but I do not stress about it.

No doubt the genetic science will ultimately allow us to edit genes to cure or prevent a plethora of diseases, physical disabilities.

On the flip side, using eugenics to breeding the Aryan super race is a rife with ethical complications

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Jack (12-24-2020)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am happy with the way I look and feel.
    A fit body , good self-image, proper diet, exercise, self-improvement, and self-confidence is within reach of 90 percent of humans now, with proper commitment and without gene therapy.

I wish my hair had not gone prematurely white, but I do not stress about it.

No doubt the genetic science will ultimately allow us to edit genes to cure or prevent a plethora of diseases, physical disabilities.

On the flip side, using eugenics to breeding the Aryan super race is a rife with ethical complications
    Let's say you had the opportunity and the ability to create a more intelligent Human. Or a more healthy Human. Would you make the attempt? Would a group of scientists? Would a Government?

"Eugenics
    Eugenics is a set of beliefs and practices that aim to improve the genetic quality of a human population, historically by excluding people and groups judged to be inferior or promoting those judged to be superior. The concept predates the term; Plato suggested applying the principles of selective breeding to humans around 400 BC.Wikipedia"

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

I assumed William Jennings Bryant was your garden variety bible thumper, but the backdrop adds some interesting texture and context.
    What is the point of your thread?

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wonder what he would have thought of this?

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    The point is the real reason for fear of evolutionary theory.
    Last edited by AProudLefty; 12-24-2020 at 06:17 PM.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What about this?

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Articulated in first sentence of post#1

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Let's say you had the opportunity and the ability to create a more intelligent Human. Or a more healthy Human. Would you make the attempt? Would a group of scientists? Would a Government?

"Eugenics
    Eugenics is a set of beliefs and practices that aim to improve the genetic quality of a human population, historically by excluding people and groups judged to be inferior or promoting those judged to be superior. The concept predates the term; Plato suggested applying the principles of selective breeding to humans around 400 BC.Wikipedia"
    "Intelligence" is one of those words people throw around a lot without really nailing down what exactly it is. There is the intelligence associated with logic and analytical skills, there is the intelligence which is expressed as creativity and imagination, there is the intelligence which comes with leadership talent and emotional maturity.

I actually do not think Einstein was the most intelligent physicist of the 20th century. What he had was an incredible amount of imagination and creativity.

Logic, imagination, creativity, emotional intelligence are acquired through a combination of environment, education, values, and a host of intangibles.

I am dubious of the proposition that an Albert Einstein can be created in a test tube by gene modification.

Plato's Republic was a thought experiment from 2,500 years ago, and we should not take ancient Greek philosophical musings as guidance for application of 21st century genetic science

On the other hand, there is no doubt that genetic science will devise ways to edit genes to cure or prevent disease and disability.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"Intelligence" is one of those words people throw around a lot without really nailing down what exactly it is. There is the intelligence associated with logic and analytical skills, there is the intelligence which is expressed as creativity and imagination, there is the intelligence which comes with leadership and emotional maturity.

I actually do not think Einstein was the most intelligent physicist of the 20th century. What he had was an incredible amount of imagination and creativity.

Logic, imagination, creativity, emotional intelligence are acquired through a combination of environment, education, values, and a host of intangibles.

I am dubious of the proposition that an Albert Einstein can be created in a test tube by gene modification.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that genetic science will devise ways to edit genes to cure or prevent disease and disability.
    Agree. It will be a difficult task. I'm sure it will be a 'mixed algorithm' of genetic make-up.
    It will probably 'start' with making Humans more healthy, or less prone to sickness. This will open up more doors.

Europeans and Americans will probably not lead on this. 'Eugenics' have a 'bad history', so will be repressed here. China I think will have no problem taking the lead here. The 'Superior Asian' will probably be a Goal, but I don't think that is going to be 'exclusive'. I think they will adopt anything that would lead to a 'Superior' Human.

"China has done human testing to create biologically enhanced super soldiers, says top U.S. official"
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...diers-n1249914