View Poll Results: Was dropping the A-bomb on Japan racist?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

6 66.67%
  • Undecided

3 33.33%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Was dropping the Bomb on Japan racist?

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RomanDmowski View Post
    Lol, Italy killed less civilians in WW2 than the USA / UK.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, agreed considering Soviet armed conflict with Japan. Made the the A- bombs as overkill.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

3. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Lol, is the USA that?

Actually thevUSA since WW2 has killed a similar amount as Japan did in WW2.

Are we the good guys, really?
    ^Dumb cunt thinks America is the problem.

4. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The U.S. Army was never going to beat the Red Army to Poland and Hungary.
    WRONG; our mere presence in Europe stopped the Communists in their tracks which is why Europe has seen peace for the last 75 years. Try to be less stupid and dishonest.

5. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Anglos killed about 200,000 civilians in the A- bombs over Japan, 25,000 in the Dresden firebombing , 2,000,000 civilians Bengai famine & 150,000 civilians in the Italian campaign.

Italy killed about 380,000 civilians in Ethiopia.
    ^Dumb cunt doesn't know the difference between starting a war and ending one started by despots.

You can't be less stupid. You're an epic moron.

6. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    ^Dumb cunt thinks America is the problem.

USA wars since WW2 killed 14 - 30 million.

7. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,092 Times in 25,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    It is rarely ever mentioned that the US was planning to drop 12 bombs in total. Operation Downfall would only have been implemented after that!

LONDON — American military archives reveal that if the Japanese had not surrendered on August 15, 1945, they would have been hit by a third and potentially more powerful atomic bomb just a few days later and then, eventually, an additional barrage of up to 12 further nuclear attacks.

Documents highlighted during commemorations to mark the 70th anniversary of the bombings of Hiroshima on August 6, and Nagasaki on August 9, which forced the end of World War II, show the determination of the United States to make Japan surrender unconditionally.

In the spring of 1945, the U.S. Army set up a special target committee to debate key Japanese cities to attack as officials believed their regime had already made it perfectly clear they were not willing to surrender at any price.

Confidential reports added that “even after two atom bombs, they preferred to fight on till they are all dead. Death or glory.”

It was a belief shared by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, who attended talks with Allied leaders Harry S. Truman, the new American president, and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin at Potsdam in July 1945, where he gave consent to using atomic weapons following the successful “Trinity” test.

“There was unanimous, automatic, unquestioned agreement around our table,” Truman later admitted in his memoirs. “Never did I hear the slightest suggestion that we do otherwise.”

There was no reference though to the number of bombs under consideration, although Churchill casually initialed a minute telling U.K. officials to go along with what the Americans decided.

Presidential scientific adviser James B. Conant reported: “A number of military experts tended to see the bomb as nothing more than just a bigger bang, and it seems Churchill and Stalin were similarly ignorant.”

Target committee members believed an atom bomb could destroy the infrastructure of Japan without the need for an invasion, so the cities of Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama, Kokura, Niigata, and even Tokyo were identified as potential areas for destruction.

The main criteria included cities not previously bombed by conventional means so that experts could fully assess the effects of a nuclear strike.

Although Tokyo still remained a possibility, it had already suffered extensive damage from a firebombing campaign that incinerated 16 square miles and as many as 100,000 people. In addition, officials believed Emporer Hirohito might still be needed to help negotiate any surrender.

Targets in the south were given priority to boost possible invasion plans but the ancient city of Kyoto was withdrawn because the U.S. Secretary of War, Henry Stimson, who had honeymooned there, said it was an important cultural center and “must not be bombed.”

Kyoto had been favored for the very first attack but the committee opted to blitz Hiroshima, which was an important army depot and embarkation port within an urban environment.

In August 6, a B-29 bomber, the Enola Gay, dropped an estimated 12 kilotons of TNT in a uranium bomb termed “Little Boy” on Hiroshima.

Just three days another B-29, Bockscar, took off for Kokura carrying a second and more deadly plutonium bomb called “Fat Man,” estimated to be between as powerful as 20 kilotons of TNT. It seems inclement weather forced the aircrew to abandon their original plans to attack Kokura and go to Nagasaki instead. Weather was so bad there that the crew had even considered violating their orders to drop the bomb via radar before finding a small gap in the clouds to deliver their deadly cargo. Archivists now suggest the attack on Nagasaki was a shock to Truman, as Kokura was meant to be the primary target, with Nagasaki a secondary option.

Both attacks combined killed more than 200,000.

Archival records show a third bomb was under assembly at Tinian in the Mariana Islands where the Enola Gay and Bockscar had flown from, with the main plutonium core about to be shipped from the U.S.

Although some aircrew saw “Tokyo Joe” chalked on the bomb’s casing, it was said to be destined for Kokura, the original target for the second bomb, and named “Fat Boy.”

A transcript of a top-level call between two military experts on August 13 reveals details of this “third shot.” It also confirmed that a vast production line of about 12 other atomic bombs was being readied for additional continuous strikes against other key targets.

It was agreed this next bomb would be available to be dropped on August 19, with a schedule of further bombs available throughout September and October.

One U.S. general explained: “If we had another one ready, today would be a good day to drop it. We don’t, but anyhow within the next ten days, the Japanese will make up their minds.”

On August 15, however, just as the plutonium was about to be sent to Tinian, news of the Japanese surrender came through and its loading was stopped.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...N38w30o5mtbPvI
    I vaguely remember reading something about 12 bombs. There was a website we used to cite a few years ago but I can't find it, it had a very detailed account of everything leading up to the bombing and what happened afterwards. I also found this old post from 2016.

People should know how World War II really ended

Twice recently Post-Gazette opinions said except for the atomic bomb, it would have been necessary to invade Japan. That is not true.

On Aug. 15, 1945, I dropped bombs that helped destroy Japan’s last oil refinery. That day, 10,000 airmen in 808 B-29s and other planes dropped bombs on various targets in Japan. The Japanese surrendered before we got back to our base.

Being a bombardier myself, I have no opinion about the atomic bomb. But I do wish that people knew how World War II really ended. I was there.

JOHN ROSE
    Point Breeze

First Published April 25, 2016, 12:00am

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...ight=Hiroshima

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (12-08-2020)

9. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    ^Dumb cunt doesn't know the difference between starting a war and ending one started by despots.

You can't be less stupid. You're an epic moron.

Italy didn't start WW2.

10. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I vaguely remember reading something about 12 bombs. There was a website we used to cite a few years ago but I can't find it, it had a very detailed account of everything leading up to the bombing and what happened afterwards. I also found this old post from 2016.

People should know how World War II really ended

Twice recently Post-Gazette opinions said except for the atomic bomb, it would have been necessary to invade Japan. That is not true.

On Aug. 15, 1945, I dropped bombs that helped destroy Japan’s last oil refinery. That day, 10,000 airmen in 808 B-29s and other planes dropped bombs on various targets in Japan. The Japanese surrendered before we got back to our base.

Being a bombardier myself, I have no opinion about the atomic bomb. But I do wish that people knew how World War II really ended. I was there.

JOHN ROSE
    Point Breeze

First Published April 25, 2016, 12:00am

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...ight=Hiroshima
    Yes very true they had precious little fuel or resources left to continue the war effort. If the second bomb hadn't been successful then another plutonium core would have been shipped to Tinian Island for use on the 19th August against either Niigata, Kokura or even Tokyo.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 12-09-2020 at 01:55 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-08-2020)

12. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,762 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I should have said M1 garand

I was thinking of my Papa's carbine
    Yes. The Garand was a 30-06 with plenty of punch. The .308 that replaced it has no ballistic advantage but just allows for a shorter action.
    The Garand was awkward to load, though.
    But I'm one of those lefties who isn't supposed to know anything about firearms so I'll stop now.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

13. The Following User Groans At NiftyNiblick For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (12-09-2020)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-09-2020)

15. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Aloha from Hawaii concert by Elvis Presley = 10
    The OP of this thread = -.0001²

land mass of usa = 3,797,000 sq mi
    land mass of japan= 145,914 sq mi

What kind of short Asian mafia cartel dummkopf would propose attacking Hawaii?

FYI:

The shortest distance between Hawaii and Japan is 6,625 km= 4,117 miles.
    If you travel with an airplane from Hawaii to Japan (at 560 M/Hr) It takes 7.35 hours ---One way.

Stupid is as stupid does.

The OP post is dystopian hyperbole poetry. Like bogus Salvador Dali paintings.
    Last edited by bhaktajan; 12-08-2020 at 09:11 PM.

16. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

If a white man marries a white women he's a racist!

If a white woman bores a white child she's a racist!

Are we getting warm yet?

Why would a Chinese guy want a Chinese woman? She'd have to resemble his mum is some sort of way, no?

DYK Hitler didn't really have its own race to promote.

There's no such thing as a 'pure' European—or anyone else ...www.sciencemag.org › news › 2017/05 › theres-no-suc...
    May 15, 2017 — In fact, the German people have no unique genetic heritage to protect. ... “The whole concept of an ethnic German … it's ludicrous when you ..

The word Race is ONLY for anthropologists to use.

There are different of species of every creature group.

DYK: In total there are 18 species in the penguin family

Do Penguins use the term Race in reference to other penguin families?

17. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Yes. The Garand was a 30-06 with plenty of punch. The .308 that replaced it has no ballistic advantage but just allows for a shorter action.
    But I'm one of those lefties who isn't supposed to know anything about firearms so I'll stop now.
    Off topic ffs!

18. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Limbaugh's Dittoheads would love to believe that lefties know nothing about guns and military technology.

Little boys are culturally or genetically predisposed to having an affinity for weapons and the warrior ethos. I spent countless hours on the shooting range with my Papa's collection of vintage military small arms, I am a miltary history buff, and I have spent countless hours of my life leaning about military weapons and technology.

War is wrong, but guns and military technology has a grip of fascination for most dudes.

19. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,619 Times in 51,914 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have a M1903 Springfield which uses the same cartridge along with a few rifles chambered in 7.62X51. I'd like to have a Garand, but don't want to plunk down that much for what will become a wall ornament. Yes, the 30-06 packs a lot of punch.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"