Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House votes to decriminalize marijuana

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Default House votes to decriminalize marijuana

The House endorsed a landmark retreat in the nation’s decades-long war on drugs Friday, voting to remove marijuana from the federal schedule of controlled substances and provide for the regulation and taxation of legal cannabis sales.

The vote was 228-to-164 and marked the first time either chamber of Congress has voted on the issue of federally decriminalizing cannabis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...ection/2020/12

Spark up!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    The House endorsed a landmark retreat in the nation’s decades-long war on drugs Friday, voting to remove marijuana from the federal schedule of controlled substances and provide for the regulation and taxation of legal cannabis sales.

The vote was 228-to-164 and marked the first time either chamber of Congress has voted on the issue of federally decriminalizing cannabis.

Spark up!
    It’s time. The dinosaurs need to move on.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

anonymoose (12-04-2020), blackascoal (12-04-2020), LV426 (12-04-2020), moon (12-04-2020)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Default House votes to decriminalize marijuana, expunge nonviolent federal convictions...

It actually got 5 GOP votes + Justin Amash.

If there is one issue that transcends politics, it very well be pot. We know McConnell is never going to allow a vote on it, so that's why Ossoff and Warnock need to win here in GA next month...

House votes to federally decriminalize marijuana
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hous...ry?id=74521976
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

moon (12-04-2020), Phantasmal (12-04-2020)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

I merged the threads.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

LV426 (12-04-2020)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

“We are not rushing to legalize marijuana — the American people have already done that. We are here because Congress has failed to deal with a disastrous war on drugs and do its part for the over 50 million regular marijuana users in every one of your districts,” said Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), a longtime liberalization advocate.

“We need to catch up with the rest of the American people.”

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    It actually got 5 GOP votes + Justin Amash.

If there is one issue that transcends politics, it very well be pot. We know McConnell is never going to allow a vote on it, so that's why Ossoff and Warnock need to win here in GA next month...

House votes to federally decriminalize marijuana
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hous...ry?id=74521976
    Even if they do that's no guarantee that it would pass. It would only take one or two defectors and it fails. That is, of course, if the Democrats could get rid of the filibuster rule...

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Never thought I'd see the day.

Used to think so decades ago.

Gave up.

Wow.

My approval of Congress just went up.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

katzgar (12-04-2020)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day.

Used to think so decades ago.

Gave up.

Wow.

My approval of Congress just went up.

You are at home in a pandemic lock down. Stores and bars are closed. Spark up.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Even if they do that's no guarantee that it would pass. It would only take one or two defectors and it fails. That is, of course, if the Democrats could get rid of the filibuster rule...
    Which they can do if they retake the Senate in January.

If the GOP still controls the Senate after 1/5, then we are going to be stuck with COVID for a long, long time.

Amazing that one political party is actually pro-COVID.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Which they can do if they retake the Senate in January.

If the GOP still controls the Senate after 1/5, then we are going to be stuck with COVID for a long, long time.

Amazing that one political party is actually pro-COVID.
    Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it... For example, let's say they do and then in 2022 lose control of both houses of Congress to Republicans. It would hardly be the first time that's happened, and it [i]has[i] happened the last four times we had a Democrat president and control of Congress. Now the Republicans are running Congress and have majorities along with the Democrat imposed new rules. They trample everything the Democrats have been doing. Biden is reduced to executive orders and trying to put new regulations in place, but even those are subject to congressional and judicial review meaning many get shot down. Now what?

We're not stuck with Chinese Official Virus Invented for Death unless we choose to be. Aside from that it looks like there will be a vaccine by January in any case.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it... For example, let's say they do and then in 2022 lose control of both houses of Congress to Republicans..
    But why would they? If they do a good job with the recovery, voters will reward them for that.

This is what the GOP and Conservatism refuses to accept and understand, and why neither can legitimately win elections anymore.

Opposing COVID recovery isn't going to win you any more representation, as we will probably see here in GA in January.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We're not stuck with Chinese Official Virus Invented for Death unless we choose to be. Aside from that it looks like there will be a vaccine by January in any case.
    Trump and YOU both chose us to be stuck with this virus, that's why he lost. The choices you and Trump made during this is exactly the reason why he lost, and why the Democrats are poised to take the Senate back.

A vaccine in January has nothing to do with Trump. Nothing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

blackascoal (12-04-2020)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post

Spark up!
    Yet another progressive initiative that passes near universally accepted.

Get rid of the dinosaurs
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Yet another progressive initiative that passes near universally accepted.

Get rid of the dinosaurs
    Our nation is in a crisis. We don't need the judicial system to chase down pot smokers.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Trump and YOU both chose us to be stuck with this virus, that's why he lost. The choices you and Trump made during this is exactly the reason why he lost, and why the Democrats are poised to take the Senate back.

A vaccine in January has nothing to do with Trump. Nothing.
    Wrong. The Chinese stuck us with this virus. It makes ZERO difference who's in the White House as far as what happens once it's here. The only difference that can be made are poor decisions like Cuomo's to put Chinese Official Virus Invented for Death positive patients into nursing homes where they infected other residents all of whom were in the most vulnerable category for dying from it. Even right now, virtually the only people dying from it are ones that have serious medical conditions other than COVID or are over 65, and mostly have other serious medical conditions that complicate recovery. Children, the young and healthy, and reasonably healthy face near zero chances of death form it.
    Yet, the most virulent shutdowns of the economy, most stringent rules on social distancing, all coming from Democrat governors and politicians, is aimed at that later group that's almost certainly not going to die from it. It's as if they are studiously stupid about cause and effect.

Trump did fast track vaccine research and development, along with deployment. You can't have it both ways saying he did nothing.