1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    You're most welcome. Here's the front view which is as good as the back.

It wasn't cool when Trump hugged the flag and this pic is not cool either for the same reason. It's disrespectful.

It is disrespectful to every person who has been handed one of those flags, neatly folded, after it came off a soon to be interred casket at Arlington. If you have ever seen one of those ceremonies. That. The way THEY treat a flag. THAT is showing proper respect for the flag.

Pictures like the above may be appealing but they cheapen the flag.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,476 Times in 52,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

It wasn't cool when Trump hugged the flag and this pic is not cool either for the same reason. It's disrespectful.

It is disrespectful to every person who has been handed one of those flags, neatly folded, after it came off a soon to be interred casket at Arlington. If you have ever seen one of those ceremonies. That. The way THEY treat a flag. THAT is showing proper respect for the flag.

Pictures like the above may be appealing but they cheapen the flag.
    Disagreed. I know people who have died for that flag. Dozens of good friends. You are trying to see it as a black & white issue; making a religion out of the Flag Code.

You are equating a reality TV show host putting on an act with a pretty girl holding a flag. The world is not black & white. It's living color. Not just two colors or even 256, but an infinite combination of wavelengths that exist regardless if we perceive them or not. Codes are good. Codes help guide people, but context must be considered before lining someone up against a wall for a perceived violation of any code. Context, unlike a code, is not B&W. It varies case by case.

In short, Trump disrespected the flag with his act, the girl is just a pretty girl holding a flag. I could show you dozens of examples of other women doing the same. I see no disrespect.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Disagreed. I know people who have died for that flag. Dozens of good friends. You are trying to see it as a black & white issue; making a religion out of the Flag Code.

You are equating a reality TV show host putting on an act with a pretty girl holding a flag. The world is not black & white. It's living color. Not just two colors or even 256, but an infinite combination of wavelengths that exist regardless if we perceive them or not. Codes are good. Codes help guide people, but context must be considered before lining someone up against a wall for a perceived violation of any code. Context, unlike a code, is not B&W. It varies case by case.

In short, Trump disrespected the flag with his act, the girl is just a pretty girl holding a flag. I could show you dozens of examples of other women doing the same. I see no disrespect.
    You're as entitled to that freedom. Those ladies would be gorgeous without the flags. It doesn't really look to me like being patriotic is their intent. The intent is to have a reason to wear skimpy clothing and show off an attractive body.

I also don't like it when our Olympic athletes do a victory lap with a flag wrapped around them. Maybe not as irksome as the pick up truck with the flag dragging over the bed or tailgate, but to me, disrespect is disrespect. That is like pregnancy. Either the condition exists or it does not exist. I appreciate it when people show proper respect for the flag.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

You're as entitled to that freedom. Those ladies would be gorgeous without the flags. It doesn't really look to me like being patriotic is their intent. The intent is to have a reason to wear skimpy clothing and show off an attractive body.

I also don't like it when our Olympic athletes do a victory lap with a flag wrapped around them. Maybe not as irksome as the pick up truck with the flag dragging over the bed or tailgate, but to me, disrespect is disrespect. That is like pregnancy. Either the condition exists or it does not exist. I appreciate it when people show proper respect for the flag.
    Tastes vary. They're being patriotic and respectful from my view.

No kidding. If they are letting the flag touch the ground and they don't correct it, I'd lose respect for them. Same for anyone jibber-jabbering during the National Anthem. They're symbols and worthy of respect, but they're still symbols for the reality actually needing to be respected and protected.

Would you give your life for your country? For a flag or over a song? Hopefully you said yes to the country and no to the symbols. OTOH, do you own a gun? Do you know how to use it? Sometimes the only way to protect our country is to do violence to others. This entire country was forged mostly out of violence, but also with building many great things. Such as putting mankind on the Moon. Is this country worth dying for in your opinion? Is it worth making someone else die if they seek to harm it? Symbols are important, but what they stand for is more important.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Sailor (12-04-2020)

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Tastes vary. They're being patriotic and respectful from my view.

No kidding. If they are letting the flag touch the ground and they don't correct it, I'd lose respect for them. Same for anyone jibber-jabbering during the National Anthem. They're symbols and worthy of respect, but they're still symbols for the reality actually needing to be respected and protected.

Would you give your life for your country? For a flag or over a song? Hopefully you said yes to the country and no to the symbols. OTOH, do you own a gun? Do you know how to use it? Sometimes the only way protect our country is to do violence to others. This entire country was forged mostly out of violence, but also with building many great things. Such as putting mankind on the Moon. Is this country worth dying for in your opinion? Is it worth making someone else die if they seek to harm it? Symbols are important, but what they stand for is more important.
    The country is worth dying for, the symbols are not, agreed.

You are free to decide how you want to respect the flag. That's what freedom of expression means. My standards are different from yours. More strict, by the book. No big. I understand the situation. Disrespect for the flag is very common. I don't do anything about it. I just try to point it out where I see it if it is appropriate.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-17-2020)

8. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

The country is worth dying for, the symbols are not, agreed.

You are free to decide how you want to respect the flag. That's what freedom of expression means. My standards are different from yours. More strict, by the book. No big. I understand the situation. Disrespect for the flag is very common. I don't do anything about it. I just try to point it out where I see it if it is appropriate.
    This may look like disrespect but mostly it's just a fast, effective way to avoid being strafed by an AH-64 Apache. Those Army assholes will shoot anything that moves.