Thread: Fascism expert: Donald Trump’s coup is not over

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Fascism expert: Donald Trump’s coup is not over

Dismiss Donald Trump and the GOP’s attacks on the 2020 election at your peril, warns Ruth Ben-Ghiat, historian and author of the new book, “Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present.” In our recent interview for Salon Talks, Ben-Ghiat — a professor of history and Italian studies at NYU — observes that Trump probably hasn’t actually studied other leaders in history who transformed functioning democracies into authoritarian regimes. Nonetheless, his actions line up almost perfectly with many who have done just that, from Benito Mussolini in fascist Italy to Vladimir Putin in contemporary Russia.

“For the strongman, politics is always personal,” Ben-Ghiat explains which may sound ironic given that “strongmen” are all about displaying virility. As she explained in our conversation, they tend to take every slight personally, and that’s certainly the case with President Trump, who constantly complains that he’s a victim who has been treated unfairly, which for some reason has endeared him even further to his supporters.

Even with Trump on his way out in January, Ben-Ghiat makes clear the threat of authoritarianism in America is not over. She explains that the Republican Party is increasingly embracing undemocratic methods to acquire and retain power, from voter ID laws to blocking Barack Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland to the U.S. Supreme Court in 2016. Some GOP elected officials — thankfully, not all — even enabled Trump’s efforts to overturn or delegitimize the 2020 election results.

Ben-Ghiat’s book it serves as a wake-up call for any who believe what we are seeing is nothing more than an extra dose of our “normal” hyper-partisan politics. If we as a nation don’t attempt to rein in the use of undemocratic or anti-democratic tactics, the U.S. may end up featured in future history books as a former democracy that slid into authoritarianism
    https://www.salon.com/2020/12/02/his...rs-arent-done/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-02-2020), PoliTalker (12-02-2020), Tranquillus in Exile (12-02-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,549 Times in 52,759 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

What a great (and terrifying) read. Excerpt:

"Clearly Joe Biden and many leading Democrats have made the strategic decision not to join this battle, to stay above it. Maybe on Twitter, you see some members of Congress, but they certainly have not flooded the zone calling this out. It concerns me that it almost feels like an unintentional appeasement of Donald Trump, letting him say what he's going to say because democracy is going to win out at the end of the day. Does history tell us that's a good or bad strategy?

"I'm really glad you made that point, because I think one of the hard truths we have to face is that the GOP is an authoritarian party. The other day they issued a very aggressive declaration, saying they're going to fight to liberate the country from tyranny, which is this old right-wing line that democracy is tyranny and authoritarian government is freedom. So they went out in a new aggressive way, saying they're going to back [Trump] all the way to the end.

"We're in a situation where Erdogan in Turkey and Modi in India, who are not liberal rulers, have called Biden to congratulate him on the election, but the GOP will not concede. In this situation, it's very important that the Democrats come out very strongly, because the history of authoritarian shows that Trump is a bully and if you don't push back against him, he will take more advantage and consider you to be a lesser opponent. I think they're going to have to change their messaging, because things are getting very, very frightening, very, very serious. Being above it all is not going to work."

The (D)s need to grow a spine and speak out more forcefully against what #LOSER45 is trying to do post-election. We've already seen in recent history how appeasement and "we go high" doesn't work when dealing with would-be tyrants.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-02-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello floridafan,

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Dismiss Donald Trump and the GOP’s attacks on the 2020 election at your peril, warns Ruth Ben-Ghiat, historian and author of the new book, “Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present.” In our recent interview for Salon Talks, Ben-Ghiat — a professor of history and Italian studies at NYU — observes that Trump probably hasn’t actually studied other leaders in history who transformed functioning democracies into authoritarian regimes. Nonetheless, his actions line up almost perfectly with many who have done just that, from Benito Mussolini in fascist Italy to Vladimir Putin in contemporary Russia.

“For the strongman, politics is always personal,” Ben-Ghiat explains which may sound ironic given that “strongmen” are all about displaying virility. As she explained in our conversation, they tend to take every slight personally, and that’s certainly the case with President Trump, who constantly complains that he’s a victim who has been treated unfairly, which for some reason has endeared him even further to his supporters.

Even with Trump on his way out in January, Ben-Ghiat makes clear the threat of authoritarianism in America is not over. She explains that the Republican Party is increasingly embracing undemocratic methods to acquire and retain power, from voter ID laws to blocking Barack Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland to the U.S. Supreme Court in 2016. Some GOP elected officials — thankfully, not all — even enabled Trump’s efforts to overturn or delegitimize the 2020 election results.

Ben-Ghiat’s book it serves as a wake-up call for any who believe what we are seeing is nothing more than an extra dose of our “normal” hyper-partisan politics. If we as a nation don’t attempt to rein in the use of undemocratic or anti-democratic tactics, the U.S. may end up featured in future history books as a former democracy that slid into authoritarianism
    From the OP link:

"I think one of the hard truths we have to face is that the GOP is an authoritarian party. The other day they issued a very aggressive declaration, saying they're going to fight to liberate the country from tyranny, which is this old right-wing line that democracy is tyranny and authoritarian government is freedom."

Can't deny that.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-02-2020), Trumpet (12-02-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,937 Times in 13,200 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Another radical Leftist academic quack, this time from the rather radical Leftist leaning New York University comes out with her latest hit piece on Trump. This is hardly the first time she's called him a "fascist." I'd like to ask her exactly which of his "...actions line up almost prefectly with... Benito Mussolini...to Vladimir Putin..."

My bet is she'd go right to the logical fallacy of appeal to authority and say she's an academic with a PhD and that means people like me shouldn't or are somehow not qualified to question her conclusions.

As for this bit...

“For the strongman, politics is always personal,” Ben-Ghiat explains which may sound ironic given that “strongmen” are all about displaying virility.
    Virility? Hitler, Stalin, and Mao all barely had women in their lives. They didn't display typical masculine virility at all. None were particularly pretentious about their appearance either. Any leader in a position of real power from CEO's to Monarchs throughout history tend to take criticism poorly. What does that show other than she has no grasp of the very subject she's supposedly an "expert" in?
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 12-02-2020 at 09:28 AM.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Another radical Leftist academic quack, this time from the rather radical Leftist leaning New York University comes out with her latest hit piece on Trump. This is hardly the first time she's called him a "fascist." I'd like to ask her exactly which of his "...actions line up almost prefectly with... Benito Mussolini...to Vladimir Putin..."

My bet is she'd go right to the logical fallacy of appeal to authority and say she's an academic with a PhD and that means people like me shouldn't or are somehow not qualified to question her conclusions.

As for this bit...

Virility? Hitler, Stalin, and Mao all barely had women in their lives. They didn't display typical masculine virility at all. None were particularly pretentious about their appearance either. Any leader in a position of real power from CEO's to Monarchs throughout history tend to take criticism poorly. What does that show other than she has no grasp of the very subject she's supposedly an "expert" in?
    Did you read the whole article?

I found it very interesting.

And eerily similar to what is going on with the Trump administration.

From the OP article:

"Unfortunately for us, his personality, the impulsiveness, the need to humiliate others, even those who work for him, his grandiosity, his anxieties, his fears of his insecurities, all of it matches up 100 percent to all the other rulers. The outcomes are different, as you say. We're not in a one-party state fascist era. He didn't come to power through a military coup, but the personality type, which leads to these dynamics of government from the inner sanctums to not wanting to leave to humiliating others, is the same.

In 1931, Mussolini's head of the fascist party learned he was fired by reading it in the newspaper. And Mobutu in the Congo used to have, I call them "sadistic dictator games." He used to have rallies and everybody had to be assembled, with his officials in the first row. Then he would announce, live on television, which ones were fired. Rex Tillerson in 2018 was scrolling through Twitter while on the toilet and that's how he found out he was fired. So again, the dynamics are the same, even if the outcome — like what happens to the people who get fired — changes."
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 12-02-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-02-2020), Tranquillus in Exile (12-02-2020)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This bit from the OP article sounds very familiar:

"And the thing about it is, it connects to their masculinity. I have a whole chapter on virility because on the one hand they're supposed to be alpha males, right? Trump is retweeting his face on the body of Sylvester Stallone. We can laugh at that stuff, but it's deadly serious. On the other hand, they're victims, whining all the time about being persecuted. And this actually makes people feel tenderly toward them, it's even endearing. So you go to Trump rallies and journalists will get these quotes, like a woman will say, "I'd wade through a sea of COVID to save Trump." Stuff like that. All of them have done this over a hundred years, and this is why women are a big fan base for these men who are definitely not working toward women's rights."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-02-2020)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Remember that McConnell refused to hold a proper hearing in the Senate and threatened an immediate vote of not guilty.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    This bit from the OP article sounds very familiar:

"And the thing about it is, it connects to their masculinity. I have a whole chapter on virility because on the one hand they're supposed to be alpha males, right? Trump is retweeting his face on the body of Sylvester Stallone. We can laugh at that stuff, but it's deadly serious. On the other hand, they're victims, whining all the time about being persecuted. And this actually makes people feel tenderly toward them, it's even endearing. So you go to Trump rallies and journalists will get these quotes, like a woman will say, "I'd wade through a sea of COVID to save Trump." Stuff like that. All of them have done this over a hundred years, and this is why women are a big fan base for these men who are definitely not working toward women's rights."

Messiah complex. The Victim-Hero.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Donald Trump’s coup is not over
    It will fail. Dims gave the coup against Trump their best shot and failed. They were forced to settle for an election.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,876 Times in 8,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey shit stain tell us what a fascist is. If you say trump then you will only confirm what we all already know, that you're a dumbass cunt.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Hey shit stain tell us what a fascist is. If you say trump then you will only confirm what we all already know, that you're a dumbass cunt.
    he is working very hard at it, my little stinking cunt. Sadly he aint bright enough to pull it off, nor are you. All the while your kind is encouraging, in the name of our constitution, to throw the constitution out the window. You were a fucking loser and you will always be, honey cunt.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,876 Times in 8,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

he is working very hard at it, my little stinking cunt. Sadly he aint bright enough to pull it off, nor are you. All the while your kind is encouraging, in the name of our constitution, to throw the constitution out the window. You were a fucking loser and you will always be, honey cunt.
    So you don't even know what a fucking fascist is but you think trump is one. You are the dumbest motherfucker on this site.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,795 Times in 32,158 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fascism expert
    is your Hitler Finger properly licensed?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,548 Times in 14,031 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,135 Times in 9,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

fascism is explicitly corporatism. most people means authoritarianism when they say fascism.