Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why Our Universities Have Failed

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,293 Times in 13,419 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Notice how the Left is desperate that there be no conversation about the failure of the University.
    Not exactly correct. There can be no conversation with the Left, at least no rational polite one, when you do anything but completely agree with their positions on everything. If saying universities are failing is in conflict or contrary to their position on universities be prepared for nothing but ad hominem and vulgar insults coming your way in return. The Left has zero tolerance for independent thinking, new or different ideas, or anything else that challenges their myopic world view of whatever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Blackwater Lunchbreak (12-01-2020)

3. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Not exactly correct. There can be no conversation with the Left, at least no rational polite one, when you do anything but completely agree with their positions on everything. If saying universities are failing is in conflict or contrary to their position on universities be prepared for nothing but ad hominem and vulgar insults coming your way in return. The Left has zero tolerance for independent thinking, new or different ideas, or anything else that challenges their myopic world view of whatever.
    I would go further.....they are now hostile to almost all honest examination of reality, they are determined to live in their fantasylands, they are immune to learning, which is willful.

They then bully the rest of us to support their malfeasance.

This will not end well.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Blackwater Lunchbreak (12-01-2020)

5. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,760 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    You do realize that English is a liberal art. Do you want high schools to stop teaching English?
    "Across the country, humanities majors have plummeted. Since 2011, history has seen a 33-percent drop in majors. English has seen a longer and more drastic decline, while languages, philosophy, and religion have also been hit hard since the 2008 recession."

"The share of undergraduates taking humanities courses has also cratered. In 2016 only 10 percent of graduating Purdue students had taken a class in literature, and just 7 percent had taken American history."

6. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

Charoite (12-01-2020), Phantasmal (12-01-2020)

8. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    He gets disability is my thought, he lives with his sister, there is no job.
    Lives with sister? Yeah, that's a probability of disability there. You live with family because it's the only housing you can afford.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Charoite For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-01-2020)

10. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I would go further.....they are now hostile to almost all honest examination of reality, they are determined to live in their fantasylands, they are immune to learning, which is willful.

This will not end well.
    It usually ends this way:

11. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    "Across the country, humanities majors have plummeted. Since 2011, history has seen a 33-percent drop in majors. English has seen a longer and more drastic decline, while languages, philosophy, and religion have also been hit hard since the 2008 recession."

"The share of undergraduates taking humanities courses has also cratered. In 2016 only 10 percent of graduating Purdue students had taken a class in literature, and just 7 percent had taken American history."

quotes without citations are meaningless

12. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This will not end well.
    you're a moron

13. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why Our Universities Have Failed
    Something went wrong with the rapidly expanding university in the 1960s, and the new 21st century, high-tech, globalized campus has made the mess it inherited dangerous.

By Victor Davis Hanson

https://amgreatness.com/2020/11/29/w...s-have-failed/

Great piece except Victor and I disagree about the original sin....I say that it was the GI Bill....that the Universities set out to suck up all that money especially after the Korean conflict then standards and competence of university leadership tanked, then the student rebellions really crushed the place as the universities capitulated in mass just as Allan Bloom said in "The Closing of the American Mind". We do agree that the Universities expanding too fast was the problem though. They were overly stretched, then they crashed, and now we are really fucked.
    The Closing of the American Mind was about as big a literary farce as has ever perpetuated in the book industry.

14. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post

That's what happens when the word gets out that you ain't learn'n nothing in them there classes...

Would you take a history course on US history from say a Communist professor who rants the whole time about how evil and racist the US is because it is a Capitalist Republic while ignoring completely that over a half million Whites died in the Civil War to end slavery of Blacks?

15. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It usually ends this way:

The thing you need to remember is how tech changes everything. Look at China and their surveillance state, with the willingness to ruin not only individuals who defy the party but their family and friends too. Most people faced with that remain docile.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

16. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's what happens when the word gets out that you ain't learn'n nothing in them there classes...

Would you take a history course on US history from say a Communist professor who rants the whole time about how evil and racist the US is because it is a Capitalist Republic while ignoring completely that over a half million Whites died in the Civil War to end slavery of Blacks?

You are very stupid. Sorry, I get sick to my stomach seeing bad people like you lying.

17. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    The Closing of the American Mind was about as big a literary farce as has ever perpetuated in the book industry.
    History proved Bloom correct.

DARK AGES SUCK!

18. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

History proved Bloom correct.
    What was Bloom correct about? You never read his book, did you.

19. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    You are very stupid. Sorry, I get sick to my stomach seeing bad people like you lying.
    Exactly where's the "lie" in what I stated? Your stomach sickness is likely due to your inability to rationally respond to my statements, arguments, and positions. It must be tearing you up to not have anything coherent to say in rebuttal...