Thread: Biden names climate statesman John Kerry as climate envoy

1. #226 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    It's called solar, wind, nuclear and fusion, fucktard.

Welcome to the 21st century. Don't forget to use your lamps when you stumble to your outhouse at 3 am, broke-ass hillbilly douchebag.
    Solar power is only available during the day and is the most expensive power per watt produced.
    Wind power is only available during certain wind speeds and is very expensive per watt produced.
    Nuclear power is practical as a source of power, but it is not using renewable fuel. At least it doesn't use much of it.
    There is no fusion power plants in existence. No one has managed to get fusion to be a practical source of power.

Oil is a practical source of power. It is also a renewable fuel.
    Natural gas is a practical source of power. It is also a renewable fuel.
    Coal is a practical source of power. It is plentiful and cheap. It is unknown whether it is a renewable fuel. Indications are it might be.

The SOTC is not capable of producing sufficient power for it's citizens. It should be cut off.
    Due to King Newsom banning oil and gas engines, all shipments to or from the SOTC should also be cut off. No trucks, no ships, no aircraft, no trains, NOTHING.

You can sit in the dark and starve and swelter in your summer heat without air conditioning until you figure it out.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

2. #227 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Are you under the impression that there is ANYTHING in this world you need to explain to me?

I know what the subsidies are, and what they're for.

We need to stop spending the money on oil & gas subsidies. Exploration subsidies are absurd.
    Oil production and natural gas production does not have subsidies. The only subsidies going towards oil and gas products is research on finding new ways to use them. That itself is illegal, just as subsidies to solar and wind to build and produce power.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

3. #228 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Are much larger, by proportion, subsidies on wind and solar okay? What about subsidizing battery powered cars when gasoline and diesel ones aren't?

You do know most government funding that goes to energy companies doesn't subsidize their production but is for R & D in areas like pollution reduction, new products for military use, that sort of thing don't you?
    Apparently he doesn't. He's believing the Democrat propaganda, and is simply cut and pasting it.

4. #229 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 177 Posts

Are much larger, by proportion, subsidies on wind and solar okay? What about subsidizing battery powered cars when gasoline and diesel ones aren't?
    Absolutely. In fact, they're essential in order to ensure solar and wind are cheap and abundant. Otherwise it's game-over with the climate. We HAVE to stop emissions, or we'll have mass-starvation, mass-migration, civil wars over resources, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Actually I have a nice penis

5. #230 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Ya-Hoo! Finally, we recognize Climate Change as a serious problem.

"John Kerry, one of the leading architects of the Paris climate agreement, is getting one more chance to lead the fight against climate change after President-elect Joe Biden named the longtime senator and former secretary of state as climate envoy for national security."
    https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...21a2e299388a62
    Didn't Al Gore want the job?

No matter, Kerry is an awesome pick.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #231 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,497 Times in 7,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

We need to stop spending the money on oil & gas subsidies. Exploration subsidies are absurd.
    There are no subsidies for oil and gas. None. You saying there are doesn't make it so.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Sailor (12-01-2020)

8. #232 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    There are no subsidies for oil and gas. None. You saying there are doesn't make it so.
    Wow I'm totally shocked that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fac...societal-costs

[TR]

[/TR]

There is a long history of government intervention in energy markets. Numerous energy subsidies exist in the U.S. tax code to promote or subsidize the production of cheap and abundant fossil energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Actually I have a nice penis

9. #233 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,497 Times in 7,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow I'm totally shocked that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fac...societal-costs

[TR]

[/TR]

There is a long history of government intervention in energy markets. Numerous energy subsidies exist in the U.S. tax code to promote or subsidize the production of cheap and abundant fossil energy.
    You need to look up the definition of subsidy. A subsidy cannot exist in a tax code.

Are you advocating eliminating Master Limited Partnerships?
    Eliminating Intangible Drilling Costs?
    Royalty Payment Reductions on Federal Lands?
    Domestic Manufacturing Deduction?
    Foreign Tax Credit?

None of these qualify as subsidies. The author of your link also needs to look up the definition of subsidy. Even what he calls direct subsidies are not subsidies.

From dictionary. com.
    Subsidy: a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.
    a sum paid, often in accordance with a treaty, by one government to another to secure some service in return.
    a grant or contribution of money.
    money formerly granted by the English Parliament to the crown for special needs

The authors in your link even describe Indirect Subsidies, a complete contradiction in terms. Even the title of the article is a giveaway that it's pure BS: Fact Sheet: Fossil Fuel Subsidies: A Closer Look at Tax Breaks and Societal Costs. The authors don't even try to mention direct pecuniary aid furnished by government, So really, your entire link is not credible.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 12-01-2020 at 04:06 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

anatta (12-03-2020), cancel2 2022 (12-03-2020), Sailor (12-01-2020)

11. #234 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yep. For a long time now the Reichwingers have despised any (R) politician who even *hints* at compromising with the (D)s. The LWers are increasingly getting the same way.
    It always amazes me, these people with extreme views shared by only a small segment, who expect to get it completely their way; and if they don't then they downtalk pretty much the whole world for not sharing what they already know is a view shared by only a few.

As if that's the way to convince anyone to rethink their view. Insult them.

Yeah, right.

That works.

Sometimes, right?

What. Never?

Hmmmm.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (12-03-2020)

13. #235 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Ever see one of these?

Nice.

And cool juxtaposition.

That, I presume, is the USS Constitution?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-01-2020)

15. #236 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Notice how often politicians try to avoid upsetting the nutjobs? The main reason most Republicans remained silent about Trump's post-election tantrum is to avoid pissing off both Trump and the RWNJs. No one wants militia dragging Democrats out of their homes and executing entire families in the streets of America like some South American shithole.

Sure, eventually the good guys would win even if the entire US military had to be used, but how many innocent Americans would die in the process?
    Yeah, well, the thing is there are really so few actually violent RWNJs that would do such a thing that if any of them even tried something like that they wouldn't get very far until they were dealt with by the authorities to end up on the six o'clock news.

Meanwhile, there are so many Americans in their homes, Republican and Democrat, and often times in the same homes, it would be virtually no threat to most because again simply too few RWNJs to threaten everybody before the offenders would be rounded up.

16. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (12-03-2020)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-01-2020)

18. #237 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,484 Times in 52,487 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

Nice.

And cool juxtaposition.

That, I presume, is the USS Constitution?
    Thanks. Correct.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-01-2020)

20. #238 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,484 Times in 52,487 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

Yeah, well, the thing is there are really so few actually violent RWNJs that would do such a thing that if any of them even tried something like that they wouldn't get very far until they were dealt with by the authorities to end up on the six o'clock news.

Meanwhile, there are so many Americans in their homes, Republican and Democrat, and often times in the same homes, it would be virtually no threat to most because again simply too few RWNJs to threaten everybody before the offenders would be rounded up.
    Agreed for all your reasons mentioned. Additionally, most of the tough-talking RWNJs on JPP are so old and inept, they are more likely to hurt themselves zipping up their pants in the morning than be a threat to innocent Americans.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-01-2020)

22. #239 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Kerry did this on his active duty. This is me reading between the lines of his service if you will...

Kerry was ambitious about getting into politics. Like many aspiring politicians a stint in the military at the time was considered de rigors. It was considered a good resume builder. Kerry got commissioned and entered the Navy. He was sent to a destroyer as a division officer. That's a pretty typical first tour assignment for an officer. But it also didn't do much for making a good political career story later.
    So, Kerry--likely looking through a copy of Link, a publication that back then listed all the open billets and career information for the Navy--likely saw the volunteer for Swift Boats ad in it and applied. Accepted, Kerry went to Swift Boats not having much of a clue what was involved in being there.
    Unlike his position on the destroyer, this was actually dangerous service. So, Kerry worked quickly to get himself some medals and then connived a way of getting the hell out of danger-- which was the 3 purple hearts thing. Now, most people I've ever met that got a purple heart have scars or other trauma to show for it. Not Kerry. He somehow got three and never suffered more than a bandaid needing scratch.
    As an officer, it was reasonably easy for him to initiate the paperwork for his awards. All he had to do was get them past the first gatekeeper, his immediate superior. Once past that hurdle they generally were just rubber stamped up the chain.
    Thus his one-year tour in Vietnam lasted less than 90 days.

Back home, he found the political winds had shifted against the military and war and he took full advantage of that to switch sides, so-to-speak. He thought it was to his political advantage to do so. Later when all this was coming back to bite him in the ass, he tried his damnest to make it all just disappear and never get mentioned again.
    I believe that is inaccurate.

Here is what I believe about John Kerry's Military Honors:

"Military honors:

During the night of December 2 and early morning of December 3, 1968, Kerry was in charge of a small boat operating near a peninsula north of Cam Ranh Bay together with a Swift boat (PCF-60). According to Kerry and the two crewmen who accompanied him that night, Patrick Runyon and William Zaladonis, they surprised a group of Vietnamese men unloading sampans at a river crossing, who began running and failed to obey an order to stop. As the men fled, Kerry and his crew opened fire on the sampans and destroyed them, then rapidly left. During this encounter, Kerry received a shrapnel wound in the left arm above the elbow. It was for this injury that Kerry received his first Purple Heart Medal.[36]

Kerry received his second Purple Heart for a wound received in action on the Bồ Đề River on February 20, 1969. The plan had been for the Swift boats to be accompanied by support helicopters. On the way up the Bo De, however, the helicopters were attacked. As the Swift boats reached the Cửa Lớn River, Kerry's boat was hit by a B-40 rocket (rocket propelled grenade round), and a piece of shrapnel hit Kerry's left leg, wounding him. Thereafter, enemy fire ceased and his boat reached the Gulf of Thailand safely. Kerry continues to have shrapnel embedded in his left thigh because the doctors that first treated him decided to remove the damaged tissue and close the wound with sutures rather than make a wide opening to remove the shrapnel.[37] Although wounded like several others earlier that day, Kerry did not lose any time off from duty.[38][39]

Silver Star

Eight days later, on February 28, 1969, came the events for which Kerry was awarded his Silver Star Medal. On this occasion, Kerry was in tactical command of his Swift boat and two other Swift boats during a combat operation. Their mission on the Duong Keo River included bringing an underwater demolition team and dozens of South Vietnamese Marines to destroy enemy sampans, structures and bunkers as described in the story The Death Of PCF 43.[40] Running into heavy small arms fire from the river banks, Kerry "directed the units to turn to the beach and charge the Viet Cong positions" and he "expertly directed" his boat's fire causing the enemy to flee while at the same time coordinating the insertion of the ninety South Vietnamese troops (according to the original medal citation signed by Admiral Zumwalt). Moving a short distance upstream, Kerry's boat was the target of a B-40 rocket round; Kerry charged the enemy positions and as his boat hove to and beached, a Viet Cong ("VC") insurgent armed with a rocket launcher emerged from a spider hole and ran. While the boat's gunner opened fire, wounding the VC in the leg, and while the other boats approached and offered cover fire, Kerry jumped from the boat to pursue the VC insurgent, subsequently killing him and capturing his loaded rocket launcher.[41][42][43]

Kerry's commanding officer, Lieutenant Commander George Elliott, stated to Douglas Brinkley in 2003 that he did not know whether to court-martial Kerry for beaching the boat without orders or give him a medal for saving the crew. Elliott recommended Kerry for the Silver Star, and Zumwalt flew into An Thoi to personally award medals to Kerry and the rest of the sailors involved in the mission. The Navy's account of Kerry's actions is presented in the original medal citation signed by Zumwalt. The engagement was documented in an after-action report, a press release written on March 1, 1969, and a historical summary dated March 17, 1969.[44]

Bronze Star

On March 13, 1969, on the Bái Háp River, Kerry was in charge of one of five Swift boats that were returning to their base after performing an Operation Sealords mission to transport South Vietnamese troops from the garrison at Cái Nước and MIKE Force advisors for a raid on a Vietcong camp located on the Rach Dong Cung canal. Earlier in the day, Kerry received a slight shrapnel wound in the buttocks from blowing up a rice bunker. Debarking some but not all of the passengers at a small village, the boats approached a fishing weir; one group of boats went around to the left of the weir, hugging the shore, and a group with Kerry's PCF-94 boat went around to the right, along the shoreline. A mine was detonated directly beneath the lead boat, PCF-3, as it crossed the weir to the left, lifting PCF-3 "about 2-3 ft out of water".[45]

James Rassmann, a Green Beret advisor who was aboard Kerry's PCF-94, was knocked overboard when, according to witnesses and the documentation of the event, a mine or rocket exploded close to the boat. According to the documentation for the event, Kerry's arm was injured when he was thrown against a bulkhead during the explosion. PCF 94 returned to the scene and Kerry rescued Rassmann who was receiving sniper fire from the water. Kerry received the Bronze Star Medal with Combat "V" for "heroic achievement", for his actions during this incident; he also received his third Purple Heart.[46]

Return from Vietnam

After Kerry's third qualifying wound, he was entitled per Navy regulations to reassignment away from combat duties. Kerry's preferred choice for reassignment was as a military aide in Boston, New York City or Washington, D.C.[47] On April 11, 1969, he reported to the Brooklyn-based Atlantic Military Sea Transportation Service, where he would remain on active duty for the following year as a personal aide to an officer, Rear Admiral Walter Schlech. On January 1, 1970, Kerry was temporarily promoted to full lieutenant.[48] Kerry had agreed to an extension of his active duty obligation from December 1969 to August 1970 in order to perform Swift Boat duty.[49][50] John Kerry was on active duty in the United States Navy from August 1966 until January 1970. He continued to serve in the Naval Reserve until February 1978.[51]

"Swiftboating" controversy

Main article: John Kerry military service controversy

With the continuing controversy that had surrounded the military service of George W. Bush since the 2000 Presidential election (when he was accused of having used his father's political influence to gain entrance to the Texas Air National Guard, thereby protecting himself from conscription into the United States Army, and possible service in the Vietnam War), John Kerry's contrasting status as a decorated Vietnam War veteran posed a problem for Bush's re-election campaign, which Republicans sought to counter by calling Kerry's war record into question. As the presidential campaign of 2004 developed, approximately 250 members of a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT, later renamed Swift Vets and POWs for Truth) opposed Kerry's campaign. The group held press conferences, ran ads and endorsed a book questioning Kerry's service record and his military awards. The group included several members of Kerry's unit, such as Larry Thurlow, who commanded a swift boat alongside of Kerry's,[52] and Stephen Gardner, who served on Kerry's boat.[53] The campaign inspired the widely used political pejorative 'swiftboating', to describe an unfair or untrue political attack.[54] Most of Kerry's former crewmates have stated that SBVT's allegations are false.[55] " Wiki
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 12-01-2020 at 05:54 PM.

23. #240 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    You need to look up the definition of subsidy. A subsidy cannot exist in a tax code.

Are you advocating eliminating Master Limited Partnerships?
    Eliminating Intangible Drilling Costs?
    Royalty Payment Reductions on Federal Lands?
    Domestic Manufacturing Deduction?
    Foreign Tax Credit?

None of these qualify as subsidies. The author of your link also needs to look up the definition of subsidy. Even what he calls direct subsidies are not subsidies.

From dictionary. com.
    Subsidy: a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.
    a sum paid, often in accordance with a treaty, by one government to another to secure some service in return.
    a grant or contribution of money.
    money formerly granted by the English Parliament to the crown for special needs
    Outstanding. Poor Jerome. Stupid bastard.