Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID kids

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default COVID kids

As a mom of five children, I’m acutely aware that this decision increases the burden our youngest generation is bearing to control a virus that rarely makes them sick. Furthermore, experts say children are not driving transmission of COVID-19, especially in school settings.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...20COVID%20Kids

The outbreak challenges the resilience of vulnerable children as it increases in children’s environments the number of already existing risks . . . and reduces the number of protective forces,” states a report published in August by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. “The pandemic and the associated policy responses of confinement and social distancing touch on almost every part of children’s worlds.”

Right now, kids are more vulnerable to education loss, increased risk of family violence, loneliness, derailed trajectories including higher drop-out rates, depression, suicide, and increased attacks by online sexual predators.

The spring should have been the canary in the mine, exposing the sudden crippling of all in-person K–12 education as too dangerous to ever repeat. Just the educational losses alone — 15,000 students completely AWOL in Los Angeles, millions without high-speed Internet access at home, and those doing school online losing between three months and one year of learning — are unacceptable.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Darth Omar (11-24-2020), Eagle_Eye (11-24-2020), Evmetro (11-24-2020), Stretch (11-24-2020), Truth Detector (11-24-2020), War=Peace (11-24-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Los Angeles Unified School District students Keiley Flores, 13, Andrea Ramos, 10, and Alexander Ramos, 8, work on school-issued computers with unreliable internet connectivity at their home in Los Angeles, Calif., August 18, 2020. (Lucy Nicholson/Reuters)
    School closures are putting a generation in danger, again.

Amid another nationwide COVID-19 spike, schools are closing again coast to coast, and one thing is certain: It’s wreaking havoc on a generation.

Earlier this month, our governor here in Michigan directed high-school students to go 100 percent online; likewise, hundreds of thousands of K–12 students nationwide return to homebound, remote learning even though in-person connection is the linchpin for academic success, according to many teachers.

As a mom of five children, I’m acutely aware that this decision increases the burden our youngest generation is bearing to control a virus that rarely makes them sick. Furthermore, experts say children are not driving transmission of COVID-19, especially in school settings. I wonder whether Generation Z — the 56 million school-age Americans who have been dealt disorder and whiplash since March — might someday be called by another name, “the COVID kids,’ since it seems more and more likely that this pandemic is going to irreversibly define them.

“The outbreak challenges the resilience of vulnerable children as it increases in children’s environments the number of already existing risks . . . and reduces the number of protective forces,” states a report published in August by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. “The pandemic and the associated policy responses of confinement and social distancing touch on almost every part of children’s worlds.”

Right now, kids are more vulnerable to education loss, increased risk of family violence, loneliness, derailed trajectories including higher drop-out rates, depression, suicide, and increased attacks by online sexual predators.

The spring should have been the canary in the mine, exposing the sudden crippling of all in-person K–12 education as too dangerous to ever repeat. Just the educational losses alone — 15,000 students completely AWOL in Los Angeles, millions without high-speed Internet access at home, and those doing school online losing between three months and one year of learning — are unacceptable.

And yet in August, adults in power ignored the strong recommendation of the American Association of Pediatrics and the CDC, and 74 percent of the 100 largest school districts returned to school online. Now it’s November, and schools that had worked so hard to deliver protocol-laden in-person learning are shutting their doors again, including ones in Connecticut and Iowa.

High-school science teacher Alexis Zieler in Michigan told me that virtual high school is “a disaster” that is working well only for very few students. Of her 35 students in virtual biology class, 30 are struggling, she said. The accountability and motivation she provides in spades inside her classroom are gone. So too is her arsenal of creative teaching methods.

“There are no varied learning styles in virtual at all,” Zieler says. “My student who is tied for valedictorian, she’s really bright, and a hard worker. She gets nothing from those videos. It’s only working for students whose learning style is in sort of a Goldilocks sweet spot.”

Jackie Hall, a mom of four in California’s Bay Area, told me that virtual school for her eleven-year-old son who has an IEP for dyslexia made him feel like a failure, and online teachers offered no extra attention or help.

“By the end of the day, he was a disaster,” Hall says. “His attitude toward everything was bad — it was heartbreaking. And each day he was just falling farther and farther behind.”

After two weeks of virtual schooling this fall, she pulled him out and is now homeschooling him — “something I never thought I could or would do,” she says.

In Northern Virginia, mom of four boys Veronika Cowen told me that virtual elementary school is “horrible,” especially for her kindergartener, who “refuses to do any work virtually.” Further, Cowen’s own goals as a parent have derailed.

“My biggest accomplishment as a modern-day parent was that I managed to keep my boys not addicted to screen . . . till now,” she says. “Now I am supposed to keep them staring at screens all day long.”

These are common woes of the dozens of parents I’ve talked with who feel frustrated, stuck, and angry. But they’re also problems on the surface; the underbelly of homebound, virtual learning and isolation is much uglier.

Experts are calling the pandemic a perfect storm for abusers and pedophiles, whose access to children in 2020 is unprecedented. Last month the FBI and Department of Justice issued a joint warning asking parents to wake up to predators’ “increased access to children,” stating, “Parents don’t know all the apps or how to use them, but sexual predators do. They know where the kids are and how to reach them.” Law enforcement is reporting record levels of online child sexual crimes worldwide, including in Scotland and Louisiana. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says a good rule of thumb for school-age kids is “the expectation . . . that they are only connected with people they know in real life.”

But family violence can get all too real for virtual learners isolated at home......

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Evmetro (11-24-2020), Stretch (11-24-2020), Truth Detector (11-24-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    As a mom of five children, I’m acutely aware that this decision increases the burden our youngest generation is bearing to control a virus that rarely makes them sick. Furthermore, experts say children are not driving transmission of COVID-19, especially in school settings.

The outbreak challenges the resilience of vulnerable children as it increases in children’s environments the number of already existing risks . . . and reduces the number of protective forces,” states a report published in August by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. “The pandemic and the associated policy responses of confinement and social distancing touch on almost every part of children’s worlds.”

But your president told you it's a hoax!

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/6341715002

In many cases, schools are closing because too many teachers are quarantined or infected with COVID-19. Others are responding to high rates of virus transmission in their communities.Kentucky's governor announced a statewide closure of schools to take effect Monday, a move that followed Michigan closing all high school classrooms and New York City schools – the largest district in the country – moving back to all-remote learning.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Charoite (11-24-2020), christiefan915 (11-24-2020), Doc Dutch (11-24-2020), Guno צְבִי (11-24-2020)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/6341715002

[FONT="]In many cases, schools are closing because too many teachers are quarantined or infected with COVID-19. Others are responding to high rates of virus transmission in their communities.[/FONT][FONT="] [/FONT]Kentucky's governor announced a statewide closure of schools to take effect Monday, a move that followed Michigan closing all high school classrooms and New York City schools – the largest district in the country – moving back to all-remote learning.
    where do you see teachers being quarantined as a problem? kids are a poor source of COVID transmission

Now add up your factors against what kids are going thru -not even close

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Into the Night (11-24-2020), Truth Detector (11-24-2020)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

where do you see teachers being quarantined as a problem? kids are a poor source of COVID transmission

Now add up your factors against what kids are going thru -not even close
    They don’t care.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Into the Night (11-24-2020), Truth Detector (11-24-2020)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

The leftist goons don't give a shit about that. The more stupid and scared they can make the kids the more control they will have. This is all a calculated effort to screw America long term and we are just letting it happen. They kept sending their kids to those indoctrination centers day after day year after year. The final polish is out on in college. Its sad to watch.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yakuda For This Post:

Evmetro (11-24-2020), Into the Night (11-24-2020), Truth Detector (11-24-2020)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

Los Angeles Unified School District students Keiley Flores, 13, Andrea Ramos, 10, and Alexander Ramos, 8, work on school-issued computers with unreliable internet connectivity at their home in Los Angeles, Calif., August 18, 2020. (Lucy Nicholson/Reuters)
    School closures are putting a generation in danger, again.

Amid another nationwide COVID-19 spike, schools are closing again coast to coast, and one thing is certain: It’s wreaking havoc on a generation.

Earlier this month, our governor here in Michigan directed high-school students to go 100 percent online; likewise, hundreds of thousands of K–12 students nationwide return to homebound, remote learning even though in-person connection is the linchpin for academic success, according to many teachers.

As a mom of five children, I’m acutely aware that this decision increases the burden our youngest generation is bearing to control a virus that rarely makes them sick. Furthermore, experts say children are not driving transmission of COVID-19, especially in school settings. I wonder whether Generation Z — the 56 million school-age Americans who have been dealt disorder and whiplash since March — might someday be called by another name, “the COVID kids,’ since it seems more and more likely that this pandemic is going to irreversibly define them.

“The outbreak challenges the resilience of vulnerable children as it increases in children’s environments the number of already existing risks . . . and reduces the number of protective forces,” states a report published in August by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. “The pandemic and the associated policy responses of confinement and social distancing touch on almost every part of children’s worlds.”

And yet in August, adults in power ignored the strong recommendation of the American Association of Pediatrics and the CDC, and 74 percent of the 100 largest school districts returned to school online. Now it’s November, and schools that had worked so hard to deliver protocol-laden in-person learning are shutting their doors again, including ones in Connecticut and Iowa.

High-school science teacher Alexis Zieler in Michigan told me that virtual high school is “a disaster” that is working well only for very few students. Of her 35 students in virtual biology class, 30 are struggling, she said. The accountability and motivation she provides in spades inside her classroom are gone. So too is her arsenal of creative teaching methods.

“There are no varied learning styles in virtual at all,” Zieler says. “My student who is tied for valedictorian, she’s really bright, and a hard worker. She gets nothing from those videos. It’s only working for students whose learning style is in sort of a Goldilocks sweet spot.”

Jackie Hall, a mom of four in California’s Bay Area, told me that virtual school for her eleven-year-old son who has an IEP for dyslexia made him feel like a failure, and online teachers offered no extra attention or help.

“By the end of the day, he was a disaster,” Hall says. “His attitude toward everything was bad — it was heartbreaking. And each day he was just falling farther and farther behind.”

After two weeks of virtual schooling this fall, she pulled him out and is now homeschooling him — “something I never thought I could or would do,” she says.

In Northern Virginia, mom of four boys Veronika Cowen told me that virtual elementary school is “horrible,” especially for her kindergartener, who “refuses to do any work virtually.” Further, Cowen’s own goals as a parent have derailed.

“My biggest accomplishment as a modern-day parent was that I managed to keep my boys not addicted to screen . . . till now,” she says. “Now I am supposed to keep them staring at screens all day long.”

These are common woes of the dozens of parents I’ve talked with who feel frustrated, stuck, and angry. But they’re also problems on the surface; the underbelly of homebound, virtual learning and isolation is much uglier.

Experts are calling the pandemic a perfect storm for abusers and pedophiles, whose access to children in 2020 is unprecedented. Last month the FBI and Department of Justice issued a joint warning asking parents to wake up to predators’ “increased access to children,” stating, “Parents don’t know all the apps or how to use them, but sexual predators do. They know where the kids are and how to reach them.” Law enforcement is reporting record levels of online child sexual crimes worldwide, including in Scotland and Louisiana. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says a good rule of thumb for school-age kids is “the expectation . . . that they are only connected with people they know in real life.”

But family violence can get all too real for virtual learners isolated at home......
    Look what they teach in school now...the world is melting due to climate change, people with a penis are girls and those with vaginas are boys, if you disagree no one will like you on Instagram or facepage or tweets, America is a systemically racist country, police are bad and thugs are good. The creeps on the left are an infection on America. That's the REAL pandemic.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yakuda For This Post:

anonymoose (11-24-2020), Into the Night (11-24-2020), Stretch (11-24-2020), Truth Detector (11-24-2020)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

[B]As a mom of five children.
    Five kids? You are a glutton for punishment. LOL

Seriously I salute you it takes special people to love and raise that many kids.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Darth Omar (11-24-2020)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,590 Times in 51,902 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Killing off the grandparents to share with the kids is a good plan....especially if they are "Russian" to collect their inheritance.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Killing off the grandparents to share with the kids is a good plan....especially if they are "Russian" to collect their inheritance.
    fucking dolt. you cant even read about transmissions from kids

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    They don’t care.
    apparently not. No reason to lock down grade schools

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

If you think “education loss” is a bummer, what do you think being dead is, or killing grandma feels like

22. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-25-2020)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    If you think “education loss” is a bummer, what do you think being dead is, or killing grandma feels like
    learn about transmissions from kids and fatality rates for those below 18

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    What part of “not drivers of transmission” don’t you understand?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Into the Night (11-24-2020)