Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Any reloaders or gun guys or gals here ?

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    fair question . These days I either carry a slightly modified Glock 26 , it has a heavier firing pin spring , after market night sights and grip wraps, I normally load it with guard dog ammo which is very effective.

Sometimes I also carry a Rugar 101 snub 5 shot in 357 mag. its the stainless version stock except for some after market grips.
    I also occasionally carry a Kel Tec 380 in my wallet pocket as a emergency back up .

Before that I carried a para ordinance LDA sub compact in .45 acp before that I carried a Steyr MP .40 cal. before that SW in 41 mag or 357 mag ,But that was before semi autos became popular .

Also with the advances in ammo tec a 9 mm is good for self defense.
    Before I retired I was able to get great deals on glocks and police only ammo .at the local policeman supply. a glock 26 or 19 or 17 cost me 400.00

The Steyr was carried a as a duty weapon. I switched over to glocks after the department I worked for made us all carry glock 19s . I find them reliable affordable and good shooters and after market and factory parts are cheap. Mags are cheap and very well made .

I have 3 glocks a 26 a 34 highly modified and a G 17 long slide.
    I have other hand guns also.

How about you dutch, what do you carry

I wouldnt trust a crack head like hunter Biden with a squirt gun
    I carry a S&W M&P Shield 45 with a wheelgun in every car. I tell my wife they're all loaded with 38s because she doesn't like the .357s, but I lied. All .357 JHP. She can handle it when it comes down to it. I've seen her. Likes and don't likes don't matter much in that situation.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I carry a S&W M&P Shield 45 with a wheelgun in every car. I tell my wife they're all loaded with 38s because she doesn't like the .357s, but I lied. All .357 JHP. She can handle it when it comes down to it. I've seen her. Likes and don't likes don't matter much in that situation.
    I understand loading revolvers with .357 mag Its much better a choice then .38, not to sell .38s short they are a good caliber . It can be a hand full for smaller framed people. I had a desert eagle in .44 mag at one time , scoped for hunting. most people didnt like the recoil, and at one time I had a .475 single action Linebaugh. I got it for a song at the time but didn't shoot it but a few times. I could shoot it one handed with out a lot of problem, many friends shot it one time only it was a beast.

I had plans of using it on a elk hunt for a camp a gun and on horseback in case of brown bear but the trip never happened so I ended up selling it.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

I understand loading revolvers with .357 mag Its much better a choice then .38, not to sell .38s short they are a good caliber . It can be a hand full for smaller framed people. I had a desert eagle in .44 mag at one time , scoped for hunting. most people didnt like the recoil, and at one time I had a .475 single action Linebaugh. I got it for a song at the time but didn't shoot it but a few times. I could shoot it one handed with out a lot of problem, many friends shot it one time only it was a beast.

I had plans of using it on a elk hunt for a camp a gun and on horseback in case of brown bear but the trip never happened so I ended up selling it.
    I've mostly been a long gun guy and never shot a pistol to proficiency until in the military. Sharpshooter the first year shooting the .45 and Expert every year after that. When I crossdecked to the Navy, the Navy standard issue sidearm for pilots was a S&W .38 four-inch. We were allowed our own sidearms and I carried a Browning Hi-Power with the standard 13-short plus two 25 shot extended magazines. All loaded up, I had a box of 9mm divided across all three magazines. All would fit in my LPA front left pocket. This was late 80s and it looked like this:

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Bulletbob (12-11-2020)

5. #94 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,515 Times in 16,977 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

I think you have a very limited knowledge of guns caliber and killing power and ethical harvesting of game.
    You might want to ask him which is more powerful (in a modern handgun) The .44 MAG. or the .45 Long Colt...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Bulletbob (12-12-2020)

7. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

that is a excellent question for those that actually are able to comprehend the key work in the question.

8. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

that is a excellent question for those that actually are able to comprehend the key work in the question.
    The .45LC bullet is a true .45 and the .44 MAG is only .429 in diameter.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    The .45LC bullet is a true .45 and the .44 MAG is only .429 in diameter.
    well thats true but it has nothing to do with the power of the round . a STANDARD .44 MAG IS A LOT MORE POWERFUL THEN A .45 LONG COLT.
    The .44 mag delivers a lot more foot pounds of energy then the.45 long colt.

It delivers over 2x the muzzle energy of a .45 long colt, the original .45 lc was a black power round designed for firearms with a much weaker design and different metals.
    The .45 long colt when loaded up and uses in a modern fire designed for high pressure loads can can exceed 1000 ft lbs of energy and thats the trick question modern fire arm

10. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

well thats true but it has nothing to do with the power of the round . a STANDARD .44 MAG IS A LOT MORE POWERFUL THEN A .45 LONG COLT.

It delivers over 2x the muzzle energy of a .45 long colt, the original .45 lc was a black power round designed for firearms with a much weaker design and different metals.
    The .45 long colt when loaded up and uses in a modern fire designed for high pressure loads can can exceed 1000 ft lbs of energy and thats the trick question modern fire arm
    Actually, the .45 Long Colt can be loaded to equal or exceed the power of the .44 magnum.

11. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Actually, the .45 Long Colt can be loaded to equal or exceed the power of the .44 magnum.
    thats what I just said

12. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Funny that you guys have been talking about the 45 long colt. My son is a Senior in high school this year and just got one given to him by the girls basketball coach for keeping the stats for both girls and boys basketball teams for four years. A really nice Henry carbine with walnut stock and fore end. Of course we can’t find shells for it right now but I have some brass, large pistol primers and a box of 100 bullets in 250 gr. and plenty of powder. We’ll build him some next week while we are out of school. What a super gift though. The coach is a former student of mine as well.

13. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Funny that you guys have been talking about the 45 long colt. My son is a Senior in high school this year and just got one given to him by the girls basketball coach for keeping the stats for both girls and boys basketball teams for four years. A really nice Henry carbine with walnut stock and fore end. Of course we can’t find shells for it right now but I have some brass, large pistol primers and a box of 100 bullets in 250 gr. and plenty of powder. We’ll build him some next week while we are out of school. What a super gift though. The coach is a former student of mine as well.
    look at small gun shops , they might have some.

14. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Speaking of small gun shops I went to a small one about 15 miles from the house the other day and to my surprise they had some things I wanted a spare mag for my glock 34 , while I have several I always can use more also a spare mag for my glock 43 and some law enforcement only hollow points . 60.00 bucks a box but I only carry top enf factory ammo in my carry guns limit was one box , they also had some sub sonic .22 ammo for suppressor use. while I already have a good bit of it , I picked up as much as they would sell me. I have a couple .22 s a rifle and pistol both suppressed and as I cant make .22 ammo I always buy it when I can I, up to about 2000 rounds stocked up

15. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was able to score again at a small local gun shop, they had the law enforcement hollow points still but are limiting sales of course 1 box per customer and they had the subsonic suppressor loads I like to use in my .22 rifle and pitol that I shoot suppressed they also got in the glock 43 finger mags I was told them I wanted no 00 buck yet.

I do order online from time to time but I try to support local shops when I can

16. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I won an Anderson manufacturing AR15 .223 in a raffle the other day. I have no use for it. I went to the shop to pick it up and was able to get a Glock 41 Gen 4 45 ACP instead. I’m a happy camper.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Bulletbob (02-08-2021)

18. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

good for you that you could trade it for something you wanted or needed.
    I have all the ar 15s I need all are set up for my needs except one which just has A2 sights on it, might add a optic 1x4 . I have several glocks and am in the process of making one a polly 80 build.
    If I was to add another gun to my collection it would probably be a single action revolver in .357 mag for cowboy action shooting

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulletbob For This Post:

leaningright (02-09-2021)