Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Any reloaders or gun guys or gals here ?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Default Any reloaders or gun guys or gals here ?

I am a active reloader and gun guy wouldn't mid getting a thread here started if there are others here.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    I am a active reloader and gun guy wouldn't mid getting a thread here started if there are others here.
    There's probably others. I'm an active sport shooter and hog hunter but don't reload. What calibers do you reload? Any specific purpose such as bird hunting or long range shooting?

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Bulletbob (11-21-2020)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

5. The Following User Groans At Doc Dutch For This Awful Post:

Matt Dillon (11-25-2020)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Bulletbob (11-21-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Bulletbob (11-21-2020), Matt Dillon (11-25-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    There's probably others. I'm an active sport shooter and hog hunter but don't reload. What calibers do you reload? Any specific purpose such as bird hunting or long range shooting?

Yes these days I mainly reload .223 5.45 , 3006 and 300 black out for a short barreled rifle that is suppressed, and 9mm and 9 mm subsonic for my silencers and some for a fully automatic sub gun that myself and 2 other friends own in a gun trust .380 and .38 and .357

Some of the 9mm I load is for competitive shooting also, but mainly plinking these days.
    I do load .223 for target shooting for group size but also for my plinking .
    At one time I also loaded .41 mag .44 mag .308 .45 acp and a limited amount of of .300 win mag and . 45 120.

I never loaded shot shell mainly because I didn't use one except for hunting and probably no more then a couple boxes a year for rabbit, turkey, grouse ,squirrels . and its been some time sense I have been hunting .

I was teaching shooting at a university and did a lot of shooting at one time and tried to save the kids money . I no longer do that and sold a lot of my guns and reloading eqt also .
    But I still enjoy shooting when time and my health allows it the last being the major issue.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulletbob For This Post:

Doc Dutch (11-20-2020)

12. #7 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Yes these days I mainly reload .223 5.45 , 3006 and 300 black out for a short barreled rifle that is suppressed, and 9mm and 9 mm subsonic for my silencers and some for a fully automatic sub gun that myself and 2 other friends own in a gun trust .380 and .38 and .357

Some of the 9mm I load is for competitive shooting also, but mainly plinking these days.
    At one time I also loaded .41 mag .44 mag .308 .45 acp and a limited amount of of .300 win mag and . 45 120.

I never loaded shot shell mainly because I didn't use one except for hunting and probably no more then a couple boxes a year for rabbit, turkey, grouse ,squirrels . and its been some time sense I have been hunting .

I was teaching shooting at a university and did a lot of shooting at one time and tried to save the kids money . I no longer do that and sold a lot of my guns and reloading eqt also .
    But I still enjoy shooting when time and my health allows it the last being the major issue.
    What bullet do you use for the .223? I use the 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip in my .220 Swift. 3850 fps. out of a 26 inch barrel and it is rather accurate at 600 yd. and beyond.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Bulletbob (11-21-2020), Matt Dillon (11-25-2020)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    What bullet do you use for the .223? I use the 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip in my .220 Swift. 3850 fps. out of a 26 inch barrel and it is rather accurate at 600 yd. and beyond.
    well for plinking I normally use a 55 grain Hornady fmj, for hunting game up to deed at under 150 yards or so I use Sierra 55 grain game king , its been a proven performer for me on game up to deer sized.

For target I use Nosler 69 grain hollow point match bullet., with these to get max accuracy I sort my brass by brand and trim to match with in 2 1000 of a inch for each batch and weigh each bullet and sort by actual weight so each group us with in 1/10 a grain. I measure each oal to get them as close as possible preferring to be with in 2 1000 th of a inch per batch and the powder is also weighed to with in 1/10 of a f
    grain .these are shot out a ar 15 I built myself with a crowned stainless bull barrel . I prefer a 16 in because it seems to be more rigid and the harmonics of vibration affet the shot less . the gun shoots sub 1/2 moa . naturally it has been tuned with a match grade trigger 2 stage with about 1.5 lb pull.
    my other ar 15s are basically stock type guns for reliability and longevity ,

my competition pistol is a modified glock 34 gen 4 thats I modified , and I also target shoot with a glock long slide that is modified as far the trigger goes and it has a after market silencer co barrel so I can attack a suppressor . my day to day carry gun is a g 26 which which just has a heavy weight firing pin spring for reliable function and night sights and talon grips. I dont make mads on guns for self defense except for sights comfort or optics to assure reliably.

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good selection. I used to shoot competitively but haven't done so in decades. I've seen all the new rounds out there like the 5.45 and 300 Black out but have never fired a rifle with them. Since I don't reload, I buy ammo in bulk and mostly stick to a few types of rounds: 9mm, .45ACP, 7.62 in x39, x51 and x54R. I like to collect old bolt actions so I have a few hundred rounds each 30.06 for my M1903 Springfield, 8mm for Zastava M48 and .303 for the Enfield. I have a few cases each for 3 Mosin-Nagants, SKS/AK-47s and both 9mm and .45 pistols. About a thousand rounds for a Bushmaster AR-15. The past year or so I've mostly been focusing on optics.

Every once in awhile someone will be arrested and found to have "an arsenal" with a picture laid out of their rifles, pistols and ammo. Despite the hype in those news articles, all my stuff is legal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...arges-n1062101
    Lt. Christopher Hasson, 50, of Silver Spring, Maryland, admitted in court that he illegally bought prescription painkillers and amassed an arsenal of 15 firearms and two illegal gun silencer attachments. As a drug abuser, he was not legally entitled to possess the guns.

The FBI said he also had over 1,000 rounds of ammunition for those weapons and a briefcase full of human growth hormone vials.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Bulletbob (11-21-2020)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

well for plinking I normally use a 55 grain Hornady fmj, for hunting game up to deed at under 150 yards or so I use Sierra 55 grain game king , its been a proven performer for me on game up to deer sized.

For target I use Nosler 69 grain hollow point match bullet., with these to get max accuracy I sort my brass by brand and trim to match with in 2 1000 of a inch for each batch and weigh each bullet and sort by actual weight so each group us with in 1/10 a grain. I measure each oal to get them as close as possible preferring to be with in 2 1000 th of a inch per batch and the powder is also weighed to with in 1/10 of a f
    grain .these are shot out a ar 15 I built myself with a crowned stainless bull barrel . I prefer a 16 in because it seems to be more rigid and the harmonics of vibration affet the shot less . the gun shoots sub 1/2 moa . naturally it has been tuned with a match grade trigger 2 stage with about 1.5 lb pull.
    my other ar 15s are basically stock type guns for reliability and longevity ,

my competition pistol is a modified glock 34 gen 4 thats I modified , and I also target shoot with a glock long slide that is modified as far the trigger goes and it has a after market silencer co barrel so I can attack a suppressor . my day to day carry gun is a g 26 which which just has a heavy weight firing pin spring for reliable function and night sights and talon grips. I dont make mads on guns for self defense except for sights comfort or optics to assure reliably.
    My Swift is a Pre '64 Mod. 70 topped with a 6.5 x 20X Leupold. I trued the bolt and added a Timney trigger (with trigger shoe) set at 2.5 lbs. I only use it for groundhogs.
    My "meat gun" is a Rem. 700 BDL .30-06, also a trued bolt, topped with a 3-9 Leupold. It shoots sub .5 MOA. (on a good day).
    My "all around" rifle is a Sako L579 .243 topped with a Redfield 3X9. I don't shoot it very often, I just have it because...
    My "plinkers" are a pair of M1 Garands. One a Springfield NM and the other a Winchester. Both are smooth as silk. I have over 600 rounds of ball ammo for them.
    I have an early Gov. Issue 1911 and a nice Ruger Blackhawk .45LC /.45ACP Convertible. The Ruger hangs loaded on my bedpost in a custom made Western holster.
    One I must mention is a S&W K .38, with Ivory target grips my father had made back in the late '40's. One beautiful handgun and was my father's favorite.
    I do all my own reloading except for .22LR. Many of my bullets for plinking (for various handguns) I cast myself. I probably have 1000+ rounds loaded for them.
    My rifle cartridges are trimmed and seated within .002/.003 off the lands, all using quality and proven factory bullets, charges are individually weighed.
    The one I've been having the most fun with of late at the gun club is my Uberti 1858 New Army .44 cap and ball. Nothing like the smell of burnt black powder!
    I have a number of other handguns and rifles, a few I don't shoot, for collectable purposes. Oh, and a Colt Buntline Special in .45LC. Every man should have a Peacemaker
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Bulletbob (11-21-2020)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    My Swift is a Pre '64 Mod. 70 topped with a 6.5 x 20X Leupold. I trued the bolt and added a Timney trigger (with trigger shoe) set at 2.5 lbs. I only use it for groundhogs.
    My "meat gun" is a Rem. 700 BDL .30-06, also a trued bolt, topped with a 3-9 Leupold. It shoots sub .5 MOA. (on a good day).
    My "all around" rifle is a Sako L579 .243 topped with a Redfield 3X9. I don't shoot it very often, I just have it because...
    My "plinkers" are a pair of M1 Garands. One a Springfield NM and the other a Winchester. Both are smooth as silk. I have over 600 rounds of ball ammo for them.
    I have an early Gov. Issue 1911 and a nice Ruger Blackhawk .45LC /.45ACP Convertible. The Ruger hangs loaded on my bedpost in a custom made Western holster.
    One I must mention is a S&W K .38, with Ivory target grips my father had made back in the late '40's. One beautiful handgun and was my father's favorite.
    I do all my own reloading except for .22LR. Many of my bullets for plinking (for various handguns) I cast myself. I probably have 1000+ rounds loaded for them.
    My rifle cartridges are trimmed and seated within .002/.003 off the lands, all using quality and proven factory bullets, charges are individually weighed.
    The one I've been having the most fun with of late at the gun club is my Uberti 1858 New Army .44 cap and ball. Nothing like the smell of burnt black powder!
    I have a number of other handguns and rifles, a few I don't shoot, for collectable purposes. Oh, and a Colt Buntline Special in .45LC. Every man should have a Peacemaker
    I love pre 64 Winchesters great guns and very6 collectable these days.Yes back when I was teaching shooting I had several Sand w revolvers . I had picked them up over the years . mostly larger calibers couple 357s a 41 mag and a a 38a nd a 32 but ended up selling them when I stopped teaching.

I found them much easier to teach hand gun basics with to al lot of student from overseas where guns were not really as common as they were her , plus they were safer to place in first time shoots hands. now a days the only revolvers I have are a rugar sp101 and a total titanium .both in 357 mag.
    is it a original peacemaker ?

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

talk to Billy.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes all of my guns are also legal I wouldn't have it another way.

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I love pre 64 Winchesters great guns and very6 collectable these days.Yes back when I was teaching shooting I had several Sand w revolvers . I had picked them up over the years . mostly larger calibers couple 357s a 41 mag and a a 38a nd a 32 but ended up selling them when I stopped teaching.

I found them much easier to teach hand gun basics with to al lot of student from overseas where guns were not really as common as they were her , plus they were safer to place in first time shoots hands. now a days the only revolvers I have are a rugar sp101 and a total titanium .both in 357 mag.
    is it a original peacemaker ?
    The Win. was given to me for my 12th. birthday present from my father. It had a Weaver K10 on it. I thought it was the coolest gun he had back then. It's a "tack driver."
    I also have a K.22 with original box. VG+ condition. My father gave it to me when I was around 10 or 11, his best friend's widow gave it to him after he was killed.

The Buntline is a Second Gen. peacemaker with a 12" barrel. My father used to load wax bullets and roll cans across the floor off the hip with it in our basement. He could shoot a handgun!
    I sold a lot of my guns over the years, but still maintain a nice, but smaller collection. I haven't shot competitions for years, I did make it to Camp Perry once. I wasn't quite as good as I thought I was!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Bulletbob (11-21-2020)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Went by wondering WTF a reloader is and saw this. Might want to choose a different pic for this because it's not American or 2nd amendment, it's Ghost In The Shell cosplay. It's a Japanese anime fangirl pic. Also the whole babes with assault weapons is Legion's shtick, I'd avoid it