Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus gone in 3 weeks.

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Sorry, dude, but it won't be gone in three weeks or even three months. Enough doses of the vaccine probably won't be available to everyone who wants one in six months. Plus factor in that it's a two dose vaccine. As I'm sure you understand about vaccines, you aren't immune the first day or even after the second shot. It takes time for you body to develop antibodies against the virus. The world won't return to normal, IMO, until next summer.

That said, as more vaccine becomes available, our nation should slowly start returning to normal.

If the virus stops spreading, it will disappear. After having had the virus for 10 days, you are no longer contagious. My plan would give an extra 11 days to make sure it is good and gone. Like it or not, quarantines work. If my plan was followed, we wouldn't even need a vaccine.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by overall View Post
    Nothing I said had anything to do with how they work. What I said was to suspend them for 3 weeks. Not add anything to what debt people may already have. Make those weeks FREE. Do you need to ask your parents what that means?
    LOL. Of course you think weeks could be FREE. You don't own anything.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

If the virus stops spreading, it will disappear. After having had the virus for 10 days, you are no longer contagious. My plan would give an extra 11 days to make sure it is good and gone. Like it or not, quarantines work. If my plan was followed, we wouldn't even need a vaccine.
    The human net is not a machine. It would certainly slow down the virus, but in a nation of 328M people, expecting that everything would go perfectly is forgetting Murphy's Law.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tell me why. If you dare. There is some talk on the news about the economic hardships. But for the most part they talk about things like how fast infection and death rates are rising. What about all those people who have no doubt become homeless because of 9+ months of this economic hardship. Of which there no doubt are MANY. They spoke last night about all the people waiting in long lines for food. But as you might imagine, not having a roof over your head is at least just as much of a hardship. There have been around 36 weeks of this shit. If you could be rid of all that in just 3 weeks, I say go for it.
    lockdown with no end in sight. is that your plan? this is sayback. it's to clarify.

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,832 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,598 Times in 4,276 Posts

A 3-week total lockdown would end the Trump virus. Fine people who shop without masks. After 3 weeks we could open up. Or we could continue with righty defiance and keep spreading it until a vaccine comes. Then the anti vaxers would wreck that. The problem is not that we do not have solutions, but it is the people. They will wreck them.
    Corona is here to stay.

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    LOL. Of course you think weeks could be FREE. You don't own anything.

Tell me. Let's say you were a landlord. What would 3 weeks of not receiving rent cost you. I'll tell you. Next to nothing. Just 3 weeks of wear and tear on your property. Which for something meant to last for years is nothing compared to 3 little weeks. And if you had even a grain of patriotic duty in your body, it would be a "cost" that you would gladly accept. Now keep in mind that any taxes you had to pay on that property would also be suspended for 3 weeks. And any mortgages you had to pay on that property would be suspended for 3 weeks. And as I said, to help prepare for a real lockdown, people would have to receive at least another $1200 dollar stimulus check to buy the things they might need to last them for 3 weeks. So after all that, where is the unfathomable, unimaginable wallet ripping "cost" you would have to endure. Also, I own a brain. If you own one, don't give me any more of your crap on this matter.

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The human net is not a machine. It would certainly slow down the virus, but in a nation of 328M people, expecting that everything would go perfectly is forgetting Murphy's Law.

You are talking about possibilities. I am talking about certainties. Just think if we had a president who instead of basically making it a "patriotic duty" to ignore the virus, we had a president who made it a patriotic duty to fight the virus. President Biden could ask people on TV as President if the American people were "girly men." And ask them if they're pussies. He could point out that if the Chinese can beat the coronavirus, we can too. Because anything the Chinese can do, we can do better. He could ask the American people to prove to the world that they have some dignity. And to do what is necessary to rid ourselves of the coronavirus. It's easy enough to convince the American public to back some bullshit war. It should be easy enough to get them to back fighting the coronavirus. And point out that any vaccine is a cavalry that is going to arrive too late.

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    lockdown with no end in sight. is that your plan? this is sayback. it's to clarify.

Ho wooly fucking shit!!!!! Where in the hell are you coming from. I said 3 weeks of a real lockdown. One that was prepared for. What in the hell would make you think that it would be a lockdown with no end in sight.

9. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    A 3-week total lockdown would end the Trump virus. Fine people who shop without masks. After 3 weeks we could open up. Or we could continue with righty defiance and keep spreading it until a vaccine comes. Then the anti vaxers would wreck that. The problem is not that we do not have solutions, but it is the people. They will wreck them.
    Corona is here to stay.

Well with my plan, people wouldn't need to be vaccinated. And if there is a barricades and checkpoints between towns or for example boroughs of New York to stop unnecessary travel between them, the virus couldn't spread. And for stores that stayed open, they could do what a hardware store in my town did for a while. Not let people in. Just have employees outside who the customers would tell what they needed. The employees would then go in and get the item (s) and bring them out to the customer.

People wouldn't need to be prisoners in their houses either. They could go for walks to do some window shopping. Hang out in their yards if they have one. Or plan on a 3 week camping or fishing trip. As long as they aren't around other people, it will be fine. Also, as I was telling somebody else, the Egyptians built pyramids. The Chinese built a great wall. Going for 3 weeks of a real lockdown that was prepared for would be absolutely nothing in comparison.

10. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Lockdowns work. People don't.
    because lockdowns violate the rights of the people
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

11. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Tell me. Let's say you were a landlord. What would 3 weeks of not receiving rent cost you. I'll tell you. Next to nothing. Just 3 weeks of wear and tear on your property. Which for something meant to last for years is nothing compared to 3 little weeks. And if you had even a grain of patriotic duty in your body, it would be a "cost" that you would gladly accept. Now keep in mind that any taxes you had to pay on that property would also be suspended for 3 weeks. And any mortgages you had to pay on that property would be suspended for 3 weeks. And as I said, to help prepare for a real lockdown, people would have to receive at least another $1200 dollar stimulus check to buy the things they might need to last them for 3 weeks. So after all that, where is the unfathomable, unimaginable wallet ripping "cost" you would have to endure. Also, I own a brain. If you own one, don't give me any more of your crap on this matter.
    Read your OP, and notice all of the speculation and 'what ifs?'.

You ignore that landlords have gone months without collecting rent already. You rely on another phantom stimulus check. Banks have been holding off on repos for months.

Now you think that 3 weeks of shutdown will cure this? School taxes were due in Sept., and property taxes are due in Jan. What exactly do you think is going to happen after your 3 week shutdown?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

this statement alone tells us that you have absolutely no realistic idea of economics or how the real world works........go back to playing with your legos
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

13. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    I don't know where you're getting that from.

https://www.devex.com/news/covid-19-...outbreak-96396
    Newspapers - Times probably - and BBC reports of Italian medical discussions. It's not big deal outside the US obsessions.

14. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Lockdowns don't work for the simple reason that people aren't robots. People break the rules, and when they do, it undermines any strategy you think you're going to implement.

COVID will likely go away by the end of February, however, because, as you said, it's a political issue. Not long after Biden is in office, the media's coverage of COVID will be very different from how it was under Trump. Any hiccups in dealing with COVID will not be blamed on Biden but on local officials. Eventually, it will be downplayed as a threat overall, because we will need to get the economy going again, and it needs to look like Biden was the needed change to the government that fixed things.
    When those supporting lockdowns and/or wearing of masks don't practice what they preach, only those willing to bend over and grab their ankles do what those hypocrites say.

While I agree, because it's a political issue, Covid will go away, my prediction is that it won't be until later than February. Biden will institute some actions, although inconsequential, and suddenly the numbers reported by the media will show him as the savior from the virus.

15. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ho wooly fucking shit!!!!! Where in the hell are you coming from. I said 3 weeks of a real lockdown. One that was prepared for. What in the hell would make you think that it would be a lockdown with no end in sight.
    flatten the curve!