Thread: American Federal Debt To Absolutely SOAR

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tacomaman View Post
    tRump certainly owns a large piece of it. Truly a shame that tRumpanzees are so void of character that they won't acknowledge any tRump failures. Truly sad indeed.
    Congress is in charge of the money moron.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    ???.....you are strange....
    It's called fractional reserve banking. Most people are unaware of it. If you understood it, you would understand why our debt is necessary and why paying it off would make our money worthless.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Congress is in charge of the money moron.
    No shit dumbass. It WAS a Republican led Congress that passed this bill that disproportionally benefits the uber rich. The measure was strongly pushed by your savior Donald-I want to "boink" my daughter-tRump.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

No shit dumbass. It WAS a Republican led Congress that passed this bill that disproportionally benefits the uber rich. The measure was strongly pushed by your savior Donald-I want to "boink" my daughter-tRump.
    This sounds a lot like when lawyers blame their behavior on their clients.

I am not having it.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    This sounds a lot like when lawyers blame their behavior on their clients.

I am not having it.
    Given you propensity to live in utter "denial" I am not surprised.

At some point, you are going to realize that you worshipped a "fraud".
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 416 Times in 383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    How can talk about federal debt and not discuss trillions in potential (stimulus) spending? Where do you think that money would come from?
    Yeah what the hell, we spend damn near a trillion every year on defense, those starving in the streets evicted from their homes will just have to die, we don't know where the money is going to come from.

Raise taxes on those making over 400,000 and make them 50-60% for those making over 10 million, then eliminate any cutoff on social security taxes, that's where you get it.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 416 Times in 383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    You got that right, miraculously, all the GOP concern over deficits/debt will return come 1/21
    You got it! You never heard the repubs bitching about spending under trump when we should have been able to balance a budget. Now we have a democrat in there it's the first thing the assholes in the senate will say. The fucking teabagger mentality, I'm like Reagan, "Do what you must, the deficit is big enough to take care of itself".

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Panetta View Post
    It's called fractional reserve banking. Most people are unaware of it. If you understood it, you would understand why our debt is necessary and why paying it off would make our money worthless.
    sure.......it's logical.......I know I have no hope of living if I have money in the bank and don't owe anyone anything........

tell me this.......why would the nation fail if, instead of the required minimum reserve banks had a higher percentage of people's cash on hand in the bank
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,448 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    I can't see any way around this.
    It's like COVID: we could have controlled the virus without mandates if the US leadership had kept us informed and provided leadership by example. Now, it's so out of control, barring an effective, easily available vaccine, medical mandates may be the only way to stop it.

The budget is the same way. It's so far out of control the only solution is for our leaders to set up an austerity plan and raise taxes. Unfortunately, like COVID, they'll probably keep their heads in the sand and nothing will change until the entire thing is collapsing.

Notice the chart below is debt as a percentage of GDP. Notice the spike and how debt is over 40% greater than GDP.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GFDEGDQ188S
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Tacomaman,

If memory serves, the OMB and other agencies warned of this as a result of the tRump tax cuts that benefitted him immensely.
    Exactly.

Beats the heck out of me why Democrats, who have been far better to the Federal Budget for decades, don't make more of an issue out of this.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Port Tack View Post
    Yeah what the hell, we spend damn near a trillion every year on defense, those starving in the streets evicted from their homes will just have to die, we don't know where the money is going to come from.

Raise taxes on those making over 400,000 and make them 50-60% for those making over 10 million, then eliminate any cutoff on social security taxes, that's where you get it.
    You're free to support, or not support, whatever spending you want. The OP is about the soaring debt and the trillions in proposed stimulus spending. Raising taxes isn't going to cover the amount of spending being talked about.

12. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Michael_Panetta,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Panetta View Post
    Either extreme makes our money worth less.

If we allowed the debt to GDP ratio to get too high, our money would lose value.

We have to manage our debt responsibly to keep our credit, and ability to carry that debt, strong.

Debt/GDP must be kept in the 'sweet spot.'

It is debatable where that 'sweet spot' is.

50% would be good.

It is now 128%.

Debt is $27 Trillion.

GDP is $21 Trillion.

CURRENT US DEBT FIGURES
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Port Tack View Post
    You got it! You never heard the repubs bitching about spending under trump when we should have been able to balance a budget. Now we have a democrat in there it's the first thing the assholes in the senate will say. The fucking teabagger mentality, I'm like Reagan, "Do what you must, the deficit is big enough to take care of itself".
    Well, if you're concerned about the debt soaring why would you complain that Republicans in Congress will be more fiscally conservative? You can (rightfully) complain about when they chose to do so but not sure why you complain them doing it however.

14. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Well, if you're concerned about the debt soaring why would you complain that Republicans in Congress will be more fiscally conservative? You can (rightfully) complain about when they chose to do so but not sure why you complain them doing it however.
    Because it is obviously false.

When they can find no other fault with Democrats, they resort to the debt.

And they themselves caused the increase with irresponsible tax cuts for the rich and for Trump.

How many people here paid more than $750 tax last year?

15. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Because it is obviously false.

When they can find no other fault with Democrats, they resort to the debt.

And they themselves caused the increase with irresponsible tax cuts for the rich and for Trump.

How many people here paid more than $750 tax last year?
    If you care about the debt why do you get upset when people focus on it to lower it?