Thread: Time To Recognize Who We Are; Reunite America

1. #496 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,415 Times in 52,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    I am not advocating for totalitarian anything.

No, private transportation should not be banned at all.

We can find a cleaner more environmentally sensitive way forward that creates well-paying jobs, allows personal transportation, and does it efficiently and productively, AND earns a profit.

We just have to keep on working on it until we get where we want to go. There are lots of great ideas out there already and more to come. Lots of work to be done figuring it all out. Lots of money to be made solving these problems.

Capitalism has always endeavored to furnish society with what it wants.

Society wants a clean sustainable carbon-neutral future.

If the new tech gave the left everything it wants and still generated profits for investors then everybody can be happy.
    Never said you did. You seemed to have some problem with defining extremism. I gave an example. Have you ever advocated gun confiscation? Regardless, are you denying several Democrats have advocated it? What are the odds President Biden will be signing a gun bill next year?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #497 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,663 Times in 17,923 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    What did the Supreme Court say about the elections in 2016, 2012,200,.2004? You say the weirdest things.
    The post was to PoliTalker and he will understand.

3. #498 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Win/Win is always best. Even birds are able to recognize that shitting in the nest is bad. https://www.audubon.org/news/what-ar...pers-basically

Industry is good. If all the factories in the world stopped working for six months, billions of people would die in the interim. In the beginning it would be fratricide in the competition for food. After that, starvation will be the killer. Cormac McCarthy's pulitzer-winning 2006 novel "The Road" gave a depiction of what such an event would look like. A real life example was when Bush signed the Biofuel bill and we started burning corn as fuel. That caused the price of corn to go up which pushed millions of people over the edge from subsistence living to starvation. Same thing happened when the price of oil shot up in 2008. Fortunately, those problems were corrected before millions died of starvation.

Obviously banning cars and shutting down the factories would solve the Global Warming issue but the result would be a very bad smell across the planet for a year or two until the amount of food grown supported the surviving population.
    We are still going to need factories. And just like the factories of today look nothing like the ones of 50 years ago, the factories of the future will be different from today. There has to be an emphasis on efficiency with everything.

One of the problems with our society is: we generate too much waste. We need clever engineering that takes what we once threw away, and puts it to some good use some new way. We are seeing more of that and I predict that trend continues. That's a win/win. I also think we need to give refuse-sorting another try. And we just need to let people decide if they wish to participate or not, but don't expect everyone to do it, and don't give them containers or bins if they are not going to properly sort everything. The one thing that totally screws that up is when people don't pay attention to what goes in what bin. It's no good if there's glass in the paper bin and steel in the aluminum bin. Un-monitored public bins just don't work because there is always a jerk in every crowd that puts the wrong thing in. They need to be under security camera and people using it need to be identified and written up if they put wrong things in.

We could use this new stream of raw materials for creative benefits. We just need some clever people to start working on what to do with all the stuff besides throwing it in a landfill.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #499 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

We are still going to need factories. And just like the factories of today look nothing like the ones of 50 years ago, the factories of the future will be different from today. There has to be an emphasis on efficiency with everything.

One of the problems with our society is: we generate too much waste. We need clever engineering that takes what we once threw away, and puts it to some good use some new way. We are seeing more of that and I predict that trend continues. That's a win/win. I also think we need to give refuse-sorting another try. And we just need to let people decide if they wish to participate or not, but don't expect everyone to do it, and don't give them containers or bins if they are not going to properly sort everything. The one thing that totally screws that up is when people don't pay attention to what goes in what bin. It's no good if there's glass in the paper bin and steel in the aluminum bin. Un-monitored public bins just don't work because there is always a jerk in every crowd that puts the wrong thing in. They need to be under security camera and people using it need to be identified and written up if they put wrong things in.

We could use this new stream of raw materials for creative benefits. We just need some clever people to start working on what to do with all the stuff besides throwing it in a landfill.
    It'd be better to most most toxic industries into space. Why do you think more isn't being done to put mankind into space and on the Moon for industrial purposes and mining?

5. #500 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Never said you did. You seemed to have some problem with defining extremism. I gave an example. Have you ever advocated gun confiscation? Regardless, are you denying several Democrats have advocated it? What are the odds President Biden will be signing a gun bill next year?
    That depends on the GA Senate vote on Jan 5.

Clearly something needs to be done. We have too many gun deaths.

I don't know. Maybe you don't think it's a problem or you think it's simply unavaoidable.

We should not accept this amount of gun deaths without wanting to do something.

What's the solution?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #501 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

It'd be better to most most toxic industries into space. Why do you think more isn't being done to put mankind into space and on the Moon for industrial purposes and mining?
    Cost prohibitive.

No for-profit space industry is making a profit.

7. #502 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

That depends on the GA Senate vote on Jan 5.

Clearly something needs to be done. We have too many gun deaths.

I don't know. Maybe you don't think it's a problem or you think it's simply unavaoidable.

We should not accept this amount of gun deaths without wanting to do something.

What's the solution?
    I think it's a problem Democrat lie about "gun violence" by padding and doubling their numbers with suicides.

8. #503 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Cost prohibitive.

No for-profit space industry is making a profit.
    With thinking like that, Columbus should have stayed in the Med.

9. #504 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

I think it's a problem Democrat lie about "gun violence" by padding and doubling their numbers with suicides.
    So nothing need be done? We simply accept the gun deaths as inevitable? The occasional gun-nut massacre is to be expected?

No. I can't do that. I think we need to improve.

10. #505 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

With thinking like that, Columbus should have stayed in the Med.
    Not a good example.

Lotta people would have lived better lives if he had stayed home.

He brought massive death to the new world.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (11-16-2020)

12. #506 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

So nothing need be done? We simply accept the gun deaths as inevitable? The occasional gun-nut massacre is to be expected?

No. I can't do that. I think we need to improve.
    Better mental health care. Remove the stigma from mental illness. Consider this; A person has a small bout of depression because their parents died then, after a month of treatment they're all better. They apply for a new job and the application includes questions about mental illness. Do you think employers would be more inclined or less inclined to hire a "nut job"?

Why do you think suicide is higher in the military than non-military professions? Higher stress, yes, but there are plenty of high stress non-military jobs. It's because if a person turns themselves in for treatment, they might as well have "nut job" tattooed on their foreheads. In the military, it's up or out. There are no career corporals or 1st Lieutenants. Additionally, there's no 401k. No pension before 20 years. All of the vets on this forum who didn't do at least 20 years (occasionally, an early out package) get nothing for retirement, even if it was 19 years, 11 months and less than a month. In order to avoid the stigma of mental illness, they hold it in until they kill themselves.

Mental illness is also associated with another killer: violent domestic disputes. You certainly know abusers grew up with abuse. How to break the cycle? Sterner sentences for abuse just so they can learn more abuse in prison? Wouldn't mental health care be the better solution, at least for the most part?

13. #507 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Not a good example.

Lotta people would have lived better lives if he had stayed home.

He brought massive death to the new world.
    Have you considered how many would have died or never been born if he hadn't? Besides, it's bound to have happened one way or another. The Vikings have visited before and there's evidence Polynesians made the trip. It was only a matter of time before civilizations on different continents met.

14. #508 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Better mental health care. Remove the stigma from mental illness. Consider this; A person has a small bout of depression because their parents died then, after a month of treatment they're all better. They apply for a new job and the application includes questions about mental illness. Do you think employers would be more inclined or less inclined to hire a "nut job"?

Why do you think suicide is higher in the military than non-military professions? Higher stress, yes, but there are plenty of high stress non-military jobs. It's because if a person turns themselves in for treatment, they might as well have "nut job" tattooed on their foreheads. In the military, it's up or out. There are no career corporals or 1st Lieutenants. Additionally, there's no 401k. No pension before 20 years. All of the vets on this forum who didn't do at least 20 years (occasionally, an early out package) get nothing for retirement, even if it was 19 years, 11 months and less than a month. In order to avoid the stigma of mental illness, they hold it in until they kill themselves.

Mental illness is also associated with another killer: violent domestic disputes. You certainly know abusers grew up with abuse. How to break the cycle? Sterner sentences for abuse just so they can learn more abuse in prison? Wouldn't mental health care be the better solution, at least for the most part?
    The 20 years thing is interesting. Sounds like a change is needed there, if that is leading to suicides and people just 'bucking up and stuffing it in.' A proportional military retirement based on any time served is in order.

Mental health is the only issue? So where is the big Republican initiative to tax gun owners and the gun industry to pay for better mental health care?

How about a deal between proponents and opponents of gun rights.

Since the mental health issue is not currently resolved, tighten restrictions on gun ownership until it is. Once that is done, and it can be assured that guns are only in the hands of responsible owners, then the restrictions can be safely lifted.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (11-17-2020)

16. #509 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Have you considered how many would have died or never been born if he hadn't? Besides, it's bound to have happened one way or another. The Vikings have visited before and there's evidence Polynesians made the trip. It was only a matter of time before civilizations on different continents met.
    It is irrelevant. We can't go back and change history. And no, the Polynesians never visited America. It was the other way around as Thor Heyerdhal proved with his Kon Tiki voyage. The Polynesians are descendant from South Americans.

17. #510 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,
    The 20 years thing is interesting. Sounds like a change is needed there, if that is leading to suicides and people just 'bucking up and stuffing it in.' A proportional military retirement based on any time served is in order.

Mental health is the only issue? So where is the big Republican initiative to tax gun owners and the gun industry to pay for better mental health care?

How about a deal between proponents and opponents of gun rights.

Since the mental health issue is not currently resolved, tighten restrictions on gun ownership until it is. Once that is done, and it can be assured that guns are only in the hands of responsible owners, then the restrictions can be safely lifted.
    The "20 years thing" has been like that far longer than I've been alive. The fact most people don't understand it is classic example of them not giving a shit. Democrat have commented to me numerous times about military deaths or permanent maimings with "They volunteered. They knew what they were getting into".

When have Democrats ever put better mental healthcare over banning and more restrictions? Never. Obama added it as an afterthought when his first gun bill failed to pass the House(?). It was in the bill that made the Senate.....waaaayyyyy down at the bottom. Well below banning AK-47s and high capacity magazines.