Thread: Marc Anthony

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Marc Anthony

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Cypress (10-30-2020), Doc Dutch (10-30-2020), signalmankenneth (10-31-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Yeah.

VOTE TRUMP OUT!

He has been a pus pocket on our nation.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-30-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Rick James, bitch!

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Yeah.

VOTE TRUMP OUT!

He has been a pus pocket on our nation.
    Lemme guess: You're a 1st-gen natural born citizen whose parents were Bolsheviks, amirite?

What's your opinion on Truman and Kennedy?

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,173 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

It's time we make Puerto Rico a state and elect two more US senators and several new House Members!

LET'S GO DEMOCRATS! VOTE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-30-2020)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,618 Times in 51,913 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Another great film by the Lincoln Project. Have they done one of women yet? Either way, there's a lot more demographics voting in this election than Trump's fan base of white, male, poor and stupid.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Frank Apisa (10-30-2020), Guno צְבִי (10-30-2020)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Another great film by the Lincoln Project. Have they done one of women yet? Either way, there's a lot more demographics voting in this election than Trump's fan base of white, male, poor and stupid.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-30-2020)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,618 Times in 51,913 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Awesome. Thanks!
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-30-2020)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Lemme guess: You're a 1st-gen natural born citizen whose parents were Bolsheviks, amirite?
    My father was born in Italy...came to the US when he was a baby. My mother was born in New York City. Both were registered Republicans...and both would qualify as solid conservatives. My guess though is that my father would consider Trump to be an ignorant, classless, loud-mouth...and probably would not have voted for him under any circumstances.

What's your opinion on Truman and Kennedy?
    Truman was probably in over his head (he had not been kept in the loop) and followed a very, very popular president. But he did a decent job...and gained the grudging respect of lots of people. I thought he was okay.

JFK seemed like a miracle on the political stage when I was young. My guess is he drew people to public service more than any president before him. But it was "feel good" thing with JFK...just as it was "feel good" thing with Reagan. My guess is history will not rate either of them particularly high.

Of the 44 presidents we have had...14 have served during my lifetime. So almost 1/3 of all the presidents who have ever served...have served during my lifetime.

I'd probably put FDR at the head of my list of most effective of those 14.

Either LBJ or Nixon (!) as second.

I think Eisenhower, Clinton, Obama, and Truman were effective at the job.

I feel that JFK and Reagan brought a nice feeling to the country. Both did an adequate job. But being adequate is not what I am looking for in a president.

George H. W. was, at best, okay. George W. was in way over his head, but had the good sense to allow others to do the heavy lifting. I could have done without Cheney, but that is what we had. George W. I actually got to like...a lot. He was a decent sort...and I miss that.

Ford and Carter just did not stack up in my opinion.

Finally, the Abomination. A totally incompetent, dangerous, clueless, classless stain on the office. How we managed to get one of the most disgusting individuals on the planet as our president, I will never know. He is so bad, I don't even want to give him last place...but I guess I have to.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

John Barron (10-30-2020)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,920 Times in 13,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    It's time we make Puerto Rico a state and elect two more US senators and several new House Members!

LET'S GO DEMOCRATS! VOTE!
    This has been tried like 5 times now and the Puerto Ricans have been split on it every time where it doesn't happen. What are the Democrats going to do, force Puerto Rico to become a state? Maybe they'll use voter fraud and hold a rigged election? What means will the Democrats use to do this? What happens when the roughly half of all Puerto Ricans who are against statehood turn on the Democrats?

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,920 Times in 13,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    My father was born in Italy...came to the US when he was a baby. My mother was born in New York City. Both were registered Republicans...and both would qualify as solid conservatives. My guess though is that my father would consider Trump to be an ignorant, classless, loud-mouth...and probably would not have voted for him under any circumstances.

Truman was probably in over his head (he had not been kept in the loop) and followed a very, very popular president. But he did a decent job...and gained the grudging respect of lots of people. I thought he was okay.

JFK seemed like a miracle on the political stage when I was young. My guess is he drew people to public service more than any president before him. But it was "feel good" thing with JFK...just as it was "feel good" thing with Reagan. My guess is history will not rate either of them particularly high.

Of the 44 presidents we have had...14 have served during my lifetime. So almost 1/3 of all the presidents who have ever served...have served during my lifetime.

I'd probably put FDR at the head of my list of most effective of those 14.

Either LBJ or Nixon (!) as second.

I think Eisenhower, Clinton, Obama, and Truman were effective at the job.

I feel that JFK and Reagan brought a nice feeling to the country. Both did an adequate job. But being adequate is not what I am looking for in a president.

George H. W. was, at best, okay. George W. was in way over his head, but had the good sense to allow others to do the heavy lifting. I could have done without Cheney, but that is what we had. George W. I actually got to like...a lot. He was a decent sort...and I miss that.

Ford and Carter just did not stack up in my opinion.

Finally, the Abomination. A totally incompetent, dangerous, clueless, classless stain on the office. How we managed to get one of the most disgusting individuals on the planet as our president, I will never know. He is so bad, I don't even want to give him last place...but I guess I have to.
    I see it somewhat differently.

FDR and Truman were before my time so I'll leave them out.

Eisenhower was probably one of the most effective, if low key, Presidents we've had.

I rate JFK as possibly the most dangerous and reckless President in our history. We came within inches of a nuclear holocaust twice in his short administration. There were scandals galore with it too. Yes, he like Obama was something of a "rock star" president but when you look at what he did, it's mostly OMG!

LBJ was probably singularly the worst president in of the post-WW 2 era. He got us into Vietnam. His massive expansion of the welfare state and his "Great Society" programs were disastrous. The nation fell into near open civil war over his decisions. Top that off with his being an out-and-out racist and just vulgar and coarse person and you can see why he wasn't elected to a second term.

Nixon was partially a result of LBJ. Nixon go us out of Vietnam--messy but it happened. He opened relations with China. He was also responsible for establishing OSHA and the EPA, both needed at the time as pollution and worker safety were virtually out of control. Yes, both have since become burdens as much as necessary, but that's any bureaucracy for you. Nixon was also probably the most personally detestable president we've had with... maybe, maybe... LBJ. LBJ was coarse and vulgar not to mention corrupt. Nixon was devious, malicious, and corrupt.

Ford was a seat warmer and little more.

Carter was a knee jerk reaction to Nixon and Watergate. He was also easily the most incompetent and ineffective president we've had in the post WW 2 era. The guy was a complete disaster. Hence why he got one term.

Reagan is a mixed bag. The country returned to feeling good about itself and Reagan did end the Cold War with the collapse of the Soviet Union. He had his scandals too so there's a downside to his administration.

George HW Bush (aka Bush I) was riding Reagan's coattails mostly. Overall, he was run of the mill average as a president. Again, why he had one term.

Clinton is another mixed bag. Once Congress went Republican the Progressive nonsense stopped and Clinton was savvy enough to work with them to get things done. Welfare reform was an amazing tonic to get the country and economy moving. He had the luck to get the drawdown of the military following the Soviet Union's collapse to get a balanced budget even. On the down side, there were scandals--really serious scandals--galore in his time in office. "Chinagate" was probably the worst one. Waco was another major fiasco. His "drive by" tomahawking of terrorists, thugs, and others looked weak but it did keep us out of boots on the ground. However, overall his foreign policy, or lack thereof, really hurt the US in the long run.

Bush II wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either. He did manage to hold the economy together and dealt effectively, if with some controversy, on the foreign policy messes Clinton left in play.

Obama was mediocre. His one significant accomplishment was the controversial Obamacare. It cost him Congress passing it and he proved, unlike Clinton, completely unable to work with the Republicans. His foreign policy was nothing short of disastrous. From the Arab Spring that turned into a Winter, to the rise of ISIS, to dithering on Osama bin Laden, to being unable to effectively manage Iraq or Afghanistan he was just terrible. Domestically, the economy limped along in mediocrity as the national debt mushroomed to gigantic proportions like never before.

Trump? On a personal level he's a troll and an arrogant ass. No doubt about that. Domestically he's done reasonably well. Foreign policy hasn't been disastrous and he's had some successes. N. Korea isn't firing missiles over Japan, etc., every other week and making noises about war. China is largely behaving themselves at the moment. Many of the Arab states have normalized relations with Israel, something any other president would have gotten major kudos for.
    Yes, COVID is a big issue, but it will pass.

If Biden's elected, I don't expect much good to come from it.

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,563 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Ike was an acting president. He went from general to president., He did not know what to do. He was silent during the Army/McCarthy hearings. He could have defused that. He was also a golfing president, The press slammed him for golfing so much.
    That was my first presidential campaign as a kid, I went door to door with metal canisters with slots on top asking for money, They poked the money through the slots. I did that for Adlai Stevenson. Campaign financing was simple back then.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Ike was an acting president. He went from general to president., He did not know what to do. He was silent during the Army/McCarthy hearings. He could have defused that. He was also a golfing president, The press slammed him for golfing so much.
    That was my first presidential campaign as a kid, I went door to door with metal canisters with slots on top asking for money, They poked the money through the slots. I did that for Adlai Stevenson. Campaign financing was simple back then.
    Only complete losers supported Adlai Stevenson.

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    This has been tried like 5 times now and the Puerto Ricans have been split on it every time where it doesn't happen. What are the Democrats going to do, force Puerto Rico to become a state? Maybe they'll use voter fraud and hold a rigged election? What means will the Democrats use to do this? What happens when the roughly half of all Puerto Ricans who are against statehood turn on the Democrats?
    Fun fact: there are far more people "identifying" as Puerto Ricans living on the US mainland than there are on the island, and that's been true for decades.

https://www.puertoricoreport.com/puerto-rican-population-in-the-states/#.X5zwbc8YCUk

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Only complete losers supported Adlai Stevenson.
    You could have just said DEMOCRATS.