Thread: white people are a shrinking percentage of the U.S. population

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,849 Times in 14,187 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default white people are a shrinking percentage of the U.S. population

Texas is ahead of the country as a whole in demographic changes. Non-Hispanic white people are already a minority there, accounting for about 40% of the population. But whites represent two-thirds of the state’s congressional delegation and state legislature.

Changing demographics have turned Georgia into a battleground state where disenfranchisement tactics narrowly prevented a Black woman, Stacey Abrams, from becoming governor two years ago. Republican Brian Kemp, who beat her in that race, was the architect of those tactics as Georgia’s secretary of state. They included polling place closures, depriving election officials in Black communities of resources, and purging Black people from voting lists.

Then, segregationists used a McCarthyist fear of communism around every corner to fight organizers registering Black people to vote. Today, almost every measure that disenfranchises Black, Latino and Native American citizens is based on a false narrative that voter fraud is a widespread problem or threat.

“These claims of widespread fraud are nothing more than old wine in new bottles,” Max Feldman wrote for the Brennan Center in May. “President Trump and his allies have long claimed, without evidence, that different aspects of our elections are infected with voter fraud. Before mail voting, they pushed similar false narratives about noncitizen voting, voter impersonation, and double voting in order to enact laws that reduce turnout and discredit adverse election results.”

Some tactics that date back to the era before the Voting Rights Act was adopted in 1965 haven’t changed at all.

https://publicintegrity.org/politics...ctics-changed/
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-28-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,485 Times in 52,488 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Texas is ahead of the country as a whole in demographic changes. Non-Hispanic white people are already a minority there, accounting for about 40% of the population. But whites represent two-thirds of the state’s congressional delegation and state legislature.

Changing demographics have turned Georgia into a battleground state where disenfranchisement tactics narrowly prevented a Black woman, Stacey Abrams, from becoming governor two years ago. Republican Brian Kemp, who beat her in that race, was the architect of those tactics as Georgia’s secretary of state. They included polling place closures, depriving election officials in Black communities of resources, and purging Black people from voting lists.

Then, segregationists used a McCarthyist fear of communism around every corner to fight organizers registering Black people to vote. Today, almost every measure that disenfranchises Black, Latino and Native American citizens is based on a false narrative that voter fraud is a widespread problem or threat.

“These claims of widespread fraud are nothing more than old wine in new bottles,” Max Feldman wrote for the Brennan Center in May. “President Trump and his allies have long claimed, without evidence, that different aspects of our elections are infected with voter fraud. Before mail voting, they pushed similar false narratives about noncitizen voting, voter impersonation, and double voting in order to enact laws that reduce turnout and discredit adverse election results.”

Some tactics that date back to the era before the Voting Rights Act was adopted in 1965 haven’t changed at all.

https://publicintegrity.org/politics...ctics-changed/
    Change is hard for some people.

In another half century more people will be like Tiger Woods. Not "white", not "black", not "Asian". In Woods' case he's 'Cablinasian'.

https://apnews.com/article/458b77108...0f1b73be0da618
    When Tiger Woods was asked in school to check one box that best described his background, he couldn’t settle on one. Perhaps that’s because there wasn’t a box for ``Cablinasian.″

That’s the word that best describes his background, a blend of Caucasian, black, Indian and Asian, the 21-year-old golf star said on ``The Oprah Winfrey Show.″

Woods, described as the first black Masters champion, said it bothers him when people call him an African-American.

``It does,″ he said Monday during the taping in Chicago. ``Growing up, I came up with this name: I’m a `Cablinasian.‴

Woods’ race has often been an issue in a game played predominantly by whites. It was brought to the forefront again when Fuzzy Zoeller referred to him as ``that little boy″ and urged him not to put fried chicken or collard greens on the menu of the Champions Dinner next year at Augusta National.

The remarks were broadcast Sunday on CNN’s ``Pro Golf Weekly,″ a week after Woods’ record-setting victory at the Masters.

Zoeller, who won the tournament in 1979, apologized Monday, saying he was merely joking when he made the comments after finishing his round at Augusta, while Woods was still on the course.

But on Tuesday Kmart said it had ``mutually agreed with Fuzzy Zoeller to immediately end our relationship.″ with the golfer. The company said the decision was made ``after it reviewed the comments″ by Zoeller.

International Management Group, the agency that represents Woods, said he would not comment Tuesday. He was in Portland, Ore., to meet with Nike Inc. executives.

Woods is one-fourth black, one-fourth Thai, one-fourth Chinese, one-eighth white and one-eighth American Indian.

When he was asked to fill out that form in school, he said he checked off African-American and Asian.

``Those are the two I was raised under and the only two I know,″ he said on the show, to air Thursday.

``I’m just who I am,″ he said, ``whoever you see in front of you.″
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-28-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,849 Times in 14,187 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Change is hard for some people.

In another half century more people will be like Tiger Woods. Not "white", not "black", not "Asian". In Woods' case he's 'Cablinasian'.

https://apnews.com/article/458b77108...0f1b73be0da618
    When Tiger Woods was asked in school to check one box that best described his background, he couldn’t settle on one. Perhaps that’s because there wasn’t a box for ``Cablinasian.″

That’s the word that best describes his background, a blend of Caucasian, black, Indian and Asian, the 21-year-old golf star said on ``The Oprah Winfrey Show.″

Woods, described as the first black Masters champion, said it bothers him when people call him an African-American.

``It does,″ he said Monday during the taping in Chicago. ``Growing up, I came up with this name: I’m a `Cablinasian.‴

Woods’ race has often been an issue in a game played predominantly by whites. It was brought to the forefront again when Fuzzy Zoeller referred to him as ``that little boy″ and urged him not to put fried chicken or collard greens on the menu of the Champions Dinner next year at Augusta National.

The remarks were broadcast Sunday on CNN’s ``Pro Golf Weekly,″ a week after Woods’ record-setting victory at the Masters.

Zoeller, who won the tournament in 1979, apologized Monday, saying he was merely joking when he made the comments after finishing his round at Augusta, while Woods was still on the course.

But on Tuesday Kmart said it had ``mutually agreed with Fuzzy Zoeller to immediately end our relationship.″ with the golfer. The company said the decision was made ``after it reviewed the comments″ by Zoeller.

International Management Group, the agency that represents Woods, said he would not comment Tuesday. He was in Portland, Ore., to meet with Nike Inc. executives.

Woods is one-fourth black, one-fourth Thai, one-fourth Chinese, one-eighth white and one-eighth American Indian.

When he was asked to fill out that form in school, he said he checked off African-American and Asian.

``Those are the two I was raised under and the only two I know,″ he said on the show, to air Thursday.

``I’m just who I am,″ he said, ``whoever you see in front of you.″
    yep people like me and my family
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-28-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    yep people like me and my family
    Observing history and the trends of time prove, IMO, MLK's dream is coming true; more people are being judged by their character, not their skin tone. Still a lot of growing pains to go through, still a lot of problems to fix.

IMO, one of the biggest fixes will be technological; 24/7 can't-turn-off body cams coupled with supporting legislation. Moore's Law will come into play to reduce costs and improve performance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-28-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

won't make a difference until long after guano is dead......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Why is this a good thing? Why does it matter? What difference will it make?

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Why is this a good thing? Why does it matter? What difference will it make?
    For the same reason a ship doesn't need racial strife among the crew. You have been at sea, haven't you Chief?

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    For the same reason a ship doesn't need racial strife among the crew. You have been at sea, haven't you Chief?
    One of the funniest things I ever saw at sea was a buddy of mine, a Machinist's Mate named Moss who was an Army brat who'd grown up in Germany on a base and was Black, tear into a table of blacks whooping it up on the aft mess decks. He walked up and told them "Why don't you all just shut the hell up! You're making me look bad acting all asshole and..." They were stunned. I think everybody on that mess deck would have applauded him if they dared.

I also got my fill of the "Philippine Mafia" as it was generally called where Filipino senior enlisted would work to promote other Filipinos over others in a shop even when they were dumber than brick. Speaks and writes English very well was a common eval phrase on these even when the guy spoke broken engrish at best and couldn't compose a full paragraph in English...

Affirmative action my rosy red rectum. You should be advanced on merit, and nothing else.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    One of the funniest things I ever saw at sea was a buddy of mine, a Machinist's Mate named Moss who was an Army brat who'd grown up in Germany on a base and was Black, tear into a table of blacks whooping it up on the aft mess decks. He walked up and told them "Why don't you all just shut the hell up! You're making me look bad acting all asshole and..." They were stunned. I think everybody on that mess deck would have applauded him if they dared.

I also got my fill of the "Philippine Mafia" as it was generally called where Filipino senior enlisted would work to promote other Filipinos over others in a shop even when they were dumber than brick. Speaks and writes English very well was a common eval phrase on these even when the guy spoke broken engrish at best and couldn't compose a full paragraph in English...

Affirmative action my rosy red rectum. You should be advanced on merit, and nothing else.
    Not saying I never saw unfairness, but fairness and merit constant throughout my career in both the Marine Corps and Navy. More RHIP in the Navy, but anyone in my division was always treated fairly and on merit.