Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Why would a polling company intentionally inflate one side or the other?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,690 Times in 27,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I can see why some polling companies would inflate one side or the other, they are being funded by donors or parties or campaigns to push a narrative, but why would independent polling firms try to push the idea that one side is winning and the other is not?

If they were trying to influence an election would the campaign not want their voters to believe it is very close, or that they are just a smigion behind?

If your voters think you are cruising to a huge victory, (some say this happened to Hillary) they might just stay home, afterall the outcome is a foregone conclusion. If I were Biden I would hope Trump* voters would think he was way ahead, not need to actually risk your health to go vote.....

Someone explain to me the advantage to a partisan to having his voters falsely believe he is way ahead?
    Deep State is behind the manipulation of polls

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Jarod (10-30-2020)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,068 Times in 8,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

The state of the race is news, these are ostensibly news organizations, right?

IN theory they make money by attracting viewers who want to be informed about reality...
    "Ostensibly" being the important word.

So they play to their base? I agree. I would argue they only care about attracting viewers ...reality is a distant side light.

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,068 Times in 8,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Deep State is behind the manipulation of polls
    Don't be an idiot. Polls like statistics are nothing more than a lamp post to a drunk. It will support him it it won't help him see any clearer.

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Exit polling was always seen as bedrock. It was so good that Calif and other west coast states asked the TV networks to stop calling the election on polling because their people had not voted yet. It is used for checking to see if foreign nations are having fair elections.
    Now in one country, it does not work, the USA. We blamed the companies. I saw a mathematician saying they had doubled the exit polling and made it so it was mathematically impossible for the polling to be wrong. Then it was. This problem has existed since Diebold and other right-wing companies installed the vote machines. They do not permit the states to take them apart and test them. They claim proprietary secret information. They are fucking tabulators.
    That is what adds interest to this election. Mail-in is not handled by the machines. We may learn something.
    Mail in is handled by machines. Just saying... The counting doesn't change because it was mailed, they get them, verify them, then run them through machines. though I will tell you that the machines are very accurate. Recounts have shown this to be true. Numbers change in some recounts because of ballots that could not run through the machine and "interpretation of meaning".
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iolo/Penderyn View Post
    I don't think you have the faintest idea what a communist might be. As one who's spent lots of time arguing with stalinists, I can assure you that the very rich are strictly capitalist at all times, and ensure that their servants lick their arses over a similar period.
    Ah so you lost the first argument, and are now making a lexical argument. Noted.
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Ah so you lost the first argument, and are now making a lexical argument. Noted.
    You are pissed as a newt, lad.

8. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,662 Times in 2,116 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 93 Times in 89 Posts

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,833 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Mail in is handled by machines. Just saying... The counting doesn't change because it was mailed, they get them, verify them, then run them through machines. though I will tell you that the machines are very accurate. Recounts have shown this to be true. Numbers change in some recounts because of ballots that could not run through the machine and "interpretation of meaning".
    If the machines are programmed for a specific purpose, you can run them through until you turn blue and they will spit out the same results.https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...minutes-214144

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,833 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Don't be an idiot. Polls like statistics are nothing more than a lamp post to a drunk. It will support him it it won't help him see any clearer.
    They are statistics run by mathematicians to find out how the election is trending. They do provide a very good picture of the election. For most of them, it is their only business and they do it well.

11. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

If the machines are programmed for a specific purpose, you can run them through until you turn blue and they will spit out the same results.https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...minutes-214144
    The recounts were by hand... So, the machines were right, the recounts verified it. You seem to be arguing more stupidly than usual, probably because you want folks to think elections are not valid while saying it is the "right" who wants you to believe that.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can see why some polling companies would inflate one side or the other, they are being funded by donors or parties or campaigns to push a narrative, but why would independent polling firms try to push the idea that one side is winning and the other is not?

If they were trying to influence an election would the campaign not want their voters to believe it is very close, or that they are just a smigion behind?

If your voters think you are cruising to a huge victory, (some say this happened to Hillary) they might just stay home, afterall the outcome is a foregone conclusion. If I were Biden I would hope Trump* voters would think he was way ahead, not need to actually risk your health to go vote.....

Someone explain to me the advantage to a partisan to having his voters falsely believe he is way ahead?
    So the idiots who support that candidate will believe the election was stolen.
    You are not too bright, dude. give it up

13. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

$$. Yoar Welcome.

14. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep, you are deplorable. Thanks for proving it so soon.
    Deplorable is calling riots and arson "peaceful protesting"
    Deplorable is calling a growing human a "Clump of cells"

Liberals are the real deplorables