Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why would a polling company intentionally inflate one side or the other?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,829 Times in 17,261 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,597 Times in 4,275 Posts

Polling companies owe their future business to calling the election correctly. That is, ones that do it for a living. Fox polls are a small part of their portfolio. They can be sloppier and slant without cost. They will be doing polls again in 2 years. But to sell your polls, accuracy is important. That is why 538 has grown so big.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I can see why some polling companies would inflate one side or the other, they are being funded by donors or parties or campaigns to push a narrative, but why would independent polling firms try to push the idea that one side is winning and the other is not?

If they were trying to influence an election would the campaign not want their voters to believe it is very close, or that they are just a smigion behind?

If your voters think you are cruising to a huge victory, (some say this happened to Hillary) they might just stay home, afterall the outcome is a foregone conclusion. If I were Biden I would hope Trump* voters would think he was way ahead, not need to actually risk your health to go vote.....

Someone explain to me the advantage to a partisan to having his voters falsely believe he is way ahead?
    TO TRY TO PRODUCE THE RESULT THEY ARE SEEKING.

THE REAL QUESTION IS: "WHY DO MORONS KEEPS SWEARING BY THE SAME POLLS THAT WERE SO AGGREGIOUSLY WRONG IN 2016??"
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Then why not make it look like a blowout? Why not claim Trump has no chance?
    so when CNN and other places were declaring just weeks ago that Biden was up by 11-16 points "nationally" you don't think that is designed to make people think that it is a blow out in favor of Trump?

How many Republicans in Commiefornistan probably don't turn out because they think it is pointless? I am sure there are plenty. It is a psychological fact that people want to be associated with a winner and that is what these shitty polls are designed to do.

It is the same game they played in 2016. For months leading up to the election they kept showing BLOWOUT leads for the democrat then right before the polls "magically tightened". There are multiple ways pollsters can get the results they want. I will give you a few

1) They can decide where to make their phone calls. For example they can consolidate calls in urban areas where "republicans" like Cawackoff aren't Trump supporters and avoid rural areas where his support is higher.
    2) They can present leading questions before they actually ask who you are going to support
    3) They over sample democrats

That you even have to ask these questions shows what a political neophyte you are and why your entire "prediction" is basically parroting Nate Silver. Nothing original. Nothing intuitive. I can understand because you are a shallow thinker. And if Nate is wrong you don't have to be on the hook for being wrong yourself. You are a very lazy thinker

4. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.3 For This Post:

tinfoil (11-02-2020)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,896 Times in 21,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,687 Times in 5,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beijing Buyden View Post
    so when CNN and other places were declaring just weeks ago that Biden was up by 11-16 points "nationally" you don't think that is designed to make people think that it is a blow out in favor of Trump?

How many Republicans in Commiefornistan probably don't turn out because they think it is pointless? I am sure there are plenty. It is a psychological fact that people want to be associated with a winner and that is what these shitty polls are designed to do.

It is the same game they played in 2016. For months leading up to the election they kept showing BLOWOUT leads for the democrat then right before the polls "magically tightened". There are multiple ways pollsters can get the results they want. I will give you a few

1) They can decide where to make their phone calls. For example they can consolidate calls in urban areas where "republicans" like Cawackoff aren't Trump supporters and avoid rural areas where his support is higher.
    2) They can present leading questions before they actually ask who you are going to support
    3) They over sample democrats

That you even have to ask these questions shows what a political neophyte you are and why your entire "prediction" is basically parroting Nate Silver. Nothing original. Nothing intuitive. I can understand because you are a shallow thinker. And if Nate is wrong you don't have to be on the hook for being wrong yourself. You are a very lazy thinker
    What they declare three weeks ago will not cause someone to think its pointless three weeks later, when the numbers are closer, not to vote. That is not logical.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    Perhaps those so-called Independent polls aren't so Independent.

It's not a coincidence that most polling, news reporting and educational systems are run by leftist sociopaths.
    Just like the so called mainstream media is nothing more than a propaganda arm for the Democrats.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can see why some polling companies would inflate one side or the other, they are being funded by donors or parties or campaigns to push a narrative, but why would independent polling firms try to push the idea that one side is winning and the other is not?

If they were trying to influence an election would the campaign not want their voters to believe it is very close, or that they are just a smigion behind?

If your voters think you are cruising to a huge victory, (some say this happened to Hillary) they might just stay home, afterall the outcome is a foregone conclusion. If I were Biden I would hope Trump* voters would think he was way ahead, not need to actually risk your health to go vote.....

Someone explain to me the advantage to a partisan to having his voters falsely believe he is way ahead?
    it goes both ways.

1) SideA being up might demoralize the sideB into not voting, because it's pointless and already over

2) on the other hand, if SideA is convinced they are kicking ass, they may not feel like wasting their time (arrogant Hillary voters circa 2016)

Second, if you are a rando polling outlet, being an outlier might get you major media coverage which promotes your brand.

Thirdly, if you are wrong, everyone quickly forgets, because who the hell can remember 50 different pollsters? If you happen to luck out though and end up being "right," you become "the only pollster that got the election correct" and you can ride that coattails for another couple of cycles.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

cawacko (10-28-2020)

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don’t know much about them except they generally have higher numbers fir Republicans going as far back as GWB.
    because they consistently use a likely voter model, which is more accurate and trends conservative compared to a population of "american adults"

---

Grind is basically right

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 970 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Just like the so called mainstream media is nothing more than a propaganda arm for the Democrats.
    It all ties into one chaotic mess.
    Free speech is cool as long as it jibes with our program.

-- The Left

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,896 Times in 21,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,687 Times in 5,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTALITOPS View Post
    because they consistently use a likely voter model, which is more accurate and trends conservative compared to a population of "american adults"
    I also know that they are not consistently more accurate. They got 2018 badly wrong. They are only accurate when Republicans overperform, which is a little less than half the time.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

why does the media act like Pravda for the Dems? prolly the same things

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,829 Times in 17,261 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,597 Times in 4,275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    why does the media act like Pravda for the Dems? prolly the same things
    They don't. The media includes Fox, Breitbart, thousands of radio stations, Infowhores, and Sinclair as an example. Why are they right-wing propaganda.? There are many more like 4Chan.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I also know that they are not consistently more accurate. They got 2018 badly wrong. They are only accurate when Republicans overperform, which is a little less than half the time.
    I said more accurate compared to a sample of american adults. pay attention

---

Grind is basically right

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

why did they do it in 2016?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    I believe there definitely can be bias is polling but polling is a snap shot. Its not the entire picture but people here are getting hard ons about polls showing lying racist groping imbecile Joe and his kamal ahead in "the lead". I am amazed that they can't be more cautious given what they experienced in 2016. I guess if people are desperate enough they will grasp at anything. As they say a drowning man will grab at the blade of sword.
    No. What caused Hillary to lose was when Comey had his presser just days before the election. She had dipped significantly in the polls by this time in 2016.

Joe is doing far better than Hillary was at this time. So watch out, because the blue wave is coming to wash away the red stain in Washington.

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,056 Times in 8,411 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Panetta View Post
    No. What caused Hillary to lose was when Comey had his presser just days before the election. She had dipped significantly in the polls by this time in 2016.

Joe is doing far better than Hillary was at this time. So watch out, because the blue wave is coming to wash away the red stain in Washington.
    That's what you want the believe. It NEVER occurs to you people that maybe she did f win because she is a horrible human being and people just know that. Let alone a fucking train wreck if a candidate she is a pompous arrogant piece of shit. She lost because SHE called half of the American population deplorable but since you agree with her you have no idea why that would lies people off. This is precisely why you are cockroaches and should only ever be treated as such.