Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Texas is now a toss up state

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 119 Times in 114 Posts

The whole country is about to go Blue. The polls show this clearly.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,453 Times in 52,468 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Political Suicide!

OH WELL! WE TRIED TO WARN THEM!
    Agreed. The Democrats are moving in that direction too. Will they go too far or will they pull back from the brink??
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,858 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    It's close. The whole Left/Right, Democrat/Republican core disagreement seems to boil down to Urban/Rural. People who live in high density areas (i.e. cities) are primarily Left/Democrat/Urban. Suburbians are somewhat in the middle, but lean right while people in the lowed density populations are Right/Republican/Rural. If all that's true, then Texas turning blue is a foregone conclusion as it's major cities grow.

Around 2000 I was working with the Feds on Bush International safety projects anticipating major growth as the North-South international gateway grew. At the time Houston was among the fastest growing cities in the US. As cities grow, they turn blue. As a state's ratio of Urban/Rural shifts from Rural to Urban, the state turns blue.

Idiots on this forum see the solution as "Treat them like enemies! Make them bend the knee! Kill all who don't!" because they've only seen the world through their TV and computer screens such as GOT. My solution is to infect them with logic and agree we are a symbiotic body that will die if we can't get along.

Congratulations on making a decent post... (regarding the urban/rural divide, anyway)

4. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,858 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Texas is about to become a TOSS OUT state.

We are voting now to TOSS Cornyn OUT of the SENATE.

In 2022 we intend to toss out our TRUMP HUMPIN' sorry excuse of a GOVERNOR- AND TED CRUZ!
    Cornyn will win. Idk about 2022 because it isn't 2022 yet...

5. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,034 Times in 14,529 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Kids aren't voting... They are underperforming from the last cycle...
    No. No they aren't.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Plenty of them are, yes... but more of them will vote for Biden than for Trump...

Thankfully, their share of the electorate is DOWN this cycle, despite the media feeding incomplete information to people. You are now choosing to outright deny mathematics and proper data analysis in favor of holding onto your fervent misguided belief that the youth vote is WAYYYYY up in Texas (and elsewhere)...

I can only lead a horse to water... I cannot force it to drink the water...
    You're doing nothing but making unverified claims.

It won't age well.

Ask me how I know this
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

7. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post

Yes. That's my data as well. Especially THIS snippet, which is appropriate for THIS thread.

The figures are particularly dramatic in Texas, a state that has been known for low overall rates of voter participation, including among young voters. But turnout among young Texans skyrocketed in 2018, and an analysis of early voting suggests that young voters in that state could be on pace to set records this year. More than 800,000voters under 30 have already voted in Texas, and 66% of them did not vote in 2016.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-30-2020)

9. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's not your data, it's you just going an random google search and linking to an article that says what you want it to say...

It's WRONG because it is only focusing on the NUMERATOR (youth vote) and completely ignoring the DENOMINATOR (all votes)... IOW, it is comparing solely by raw numbers rather than by a percentage of the whole...
    Idiot. You're trying to claim that youth voters aren't voting, when all evidence to the contrary is being forced down your throat.

Nobody's interested in your denominators. All voting is through the roof, in direct rejection of trump's voter suppression efforts.

10. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My solution is to infect them with logic and agree we are a symbiotic body that will die if we can't get along.
    I fear that this is gone forever. Gingrich started this with his 'contract on America', and bipartisanship has slowly been withering on the vine ever since.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-30-2020)

12. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    I fear that this is gone forever. Gingrich started this with his 'contract on America', and bipartisanship has slowly been withering on the vine ever since.
    Then the human race is doomed.

That said, I disagree. Two steps forward, one step back is still progress.

13. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Cornyn is worried just like Cruz was worried about Beto. 2018 was close and I think this will be even closer.

It brings up a good point; even if Trump won, what if he lost the Senate? If Biden wins, even if the Senate is still Republican, I think it will have 2-3 more Democrats.
    Beto was a tease, that ended up being a farce. He's been active ever since in getting people to the polls. It seems to be working. I think you already said that it might take another election cycle to complete, but Texas is heading Blue.

I'm hoping that the general election, as opposed to the Beto mid term makes enough difference to oust Cornyn. Jones is going to be close in Alabama, but Mr. Football is a complete moron who just hails trump every step of the way. Running against a pedophile in a special election is vastly different than running in a general for a 6 year term.

I hope Alabama lets college football be football, and adult politics be adult politics.

Assuming a Jones loss, it looks like Dems might still pick up 3 seats. Maybe more in a best case scenario. Georgia is fascinating after the last debate.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-30-2020)

15. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Then the human race is doomed.

That said, I disagree. Two steps forward, one step back is still progress.
    The problem is that it now takes a supermajority to get anything passed. When Schumer does away with the filibuster it will help, but that still isn't bipartisanship.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-30-2020)

17. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The problem is that it now takes a supermajority to get anything passed. When Schumer does away with the filibuster it will help, but that still isn't bipartisanship.
    A supermajority isn't a problem. The problem are two political parties so diametrically opposed that they can never agree on anything.

Look at it like a couple. If they are always fighting, the marriage will fail. Counseling may save it but both have to be willing. Congress is dysfunctional because neither are willing to work out their differences.
    Last edited by Doc Dutch; 10-30-2020 at 03:03 PM.

18. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A supermajority isn't a problem. The problem are two political parties so diametrically opposed that they can never agree on anything.
    That's what I mean. Nothing gets passed without a supermajority, and that doesn't make for compromise. Even when Clinton lost Congress, they still managed to legislate.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-30-2020)

20. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's what I mean. Nothing gets passed without a supermajority, and that doesn't make for compromise. Even when Clinton lost Congress, they still managed to legislate.
    The problem has been worsening since the 90s. I blame the end of the Cold War as the catalyst. Clinton, Gingrich and even Trump are not causes; they are the results.