Thread: NY city council votes to extend city councils term limits.. NICE

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default NY city council votes to extend city councils term limits.. NICE

I wish I could vote to extend my own job.

NEW YORK (CBS) ― Mayor Michael Bloomberg's bid to run for a third term got the all-clear Thursday when the City Council voted to allow term limits to be extended from 8 to 12 years.

Emotional and often outspoken council members voted 29-22 in favor of the extension that now allows officeholders three consecutive four-year terms. About two-thirds of the City Council is currently in their second term.

http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts....2.847239.html
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chapdog View Post
    I wish I could vote to extend my own job.

NEW YORK (CBS) ― Mayor Michael Bloomberg's bid to run for a third term got the all-clear Thursday when the City Council voted to allow term limits to be extended from 8 to 12 years.

Emotional and often outspoken council members voted 29-22 in favor of the extension that now allows officeholders three consecutive four-year terms. About two-thirds of the City Council is currently in their second term.

http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts....2.847239.html

But would you then put your job up for a vote?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think term limits are stupid. If you don't think someone should run for more than two terms, just don't vote for them. There's no reason an excellent lawmaker should only be limited to eight years even though his constituents love him.

And Chap, only the voters will decide whether or not he's "extending his job".
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

i disagree. I think term limits should be in place for senators 2.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

i disagree. I think term limits should be in place for senators 2.
    Alright then vote against your incumbent senators. There's no reason you have to enforce this undemocratic provision on me.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Alright then vote against your incumbent senators. There's no reason you have to enforce this undemocratic provision on me.
    Its undemocratic that we cant vote to have term limits. Id at a minimum like to see what people felt about it.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Its undemocratic that we cant vote to have term limits. Id at a minimum like to see what people felt about it.
    I don't really like direct democracy, for the same reason the founders didn't. Reading a description on the ballot isn't adequate debate time to decide on something, and some truly atrocious legislation has been produced out of California's initiative system. Term limits sound better on a ballot than whenever actually thought out. Again, if you want term limits you are always free as a person to impose them yourself instead of imposing them on other people. But it's simply a poor criterion for voting on someone.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Term Limits have always existed. They are called losing your seat because voters don't like you anymore. Daschle anyone? Elizabeth Dole this year...Anyone?