Thread: NEWS COVID-19 causes ‘chronic’ cognitive deficits equivalent to brain aging 10 years

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,342 Times in 6,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

Default NEWS COVID-19 causes ‘chronic’ cognitive deficits equivalent to brain aging 10 years

http://https://nypost.com/2020/10/27...ging-10-years/

Coronavirus can significantly impact brain function, causing mental decline equivalent to the brain aging 10 years, according to an alarming new study.

A study of more than 84,000 people in the UK found that the virus left even those deemed recovered with “chronic cognitive consequences” that it compared to dropping 8.5 IQ points.

“People who had recovered, including those no longer reporting symptoms, exhibited significant cognitive deficits,” the study published on MedRxiv said.

“The deficits were broad, affecting multiple cognitive domains,” the researchers warned in the study, which has yet to be peer-reviewed.

The study used cognitive tests — such as remembering words or joining dots on a puzzle — that are often used to assess brain performance in diseases like Alzheimer’s.

The cognitive deficits were “of substantial effect size” and “scaled with symptom severity,” especially those hospitalized, but also “evident amongst those without hospital treatment,” the study said.

That would make Donald mini-strokes Trump 84 years old.
    He has been acting a tad bizarre lately. Don't you think?
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

This page isn’t working.

https didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

From the real story: "experts not involved in the study warned that the results should be viewed with some caution — especially because the study did not record before-and-after cognitive test scores.

“The cognitive function of the participants was not known pre-COVID, and the results also do not reflect long-term recovery — so any effects on cognition may be short-term,” Joanna Wardlaw, a professor of applied neuroimaging at Edinburgh University, told Reuters.

Derek Hill, a professor of medical imaging science at University College London, described the results as an “intriguing” but “inconclusive” piece of research".

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,102 Times in 12,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,441 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries

A year after bug began its romp the "Experts" are just now figuring this out?

That's Interesting!
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    A year after bug began its romp the "Experts" are just now figuring this out? That's Interesting!
    The same "experts" at Imperial College London who did this, BTW:

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post

IF YOU LOST YOUR JOB OR LOST MONEY IN THE MARKET BECAUSE OF THE PANIC, THIS IS THE MAN TO BLAME

Here we are. Three weeks (at least, depending upon where you are) into what amounts to house arrest.

Stores are told what products they can and cannot sell.

A father has been handcuffed and arrested for playing with his daughter in a deserted park.

People are being fined for walking on vacant beaches.

Businesses have been shuttered.

The economy has been trashed. Our concept of civil liberties and the permissible use of the state’s police power have been irrevocably moved in the direction of totalitarianism.

There is literally no end in sight.

So it is fair to ask how we got here.

In a word: models.

The Wuhan virus frenzy really began in earnest when Neil Ferguson published the results of a simulation he’d run on the public health impact of the virus.

In it he predicted that some 2 million Americans would die from the virus.

The impact of this paper can’t be overstated. The British and Dutch governments were stampeded from pursuing what amounted to a “ride it out” strategy (which, in my view, was the only strategy even vaguely related to either science or common sense) into throwing the emergency brake on economic activity.

Once one model was accepted, other proliferated.

Perhaps the most notable one has been that from the Institution for Health Metrics and Evaluation. This one, like the non-factual Imperial College model, has produced Doomsday results that led to panicked governors believing they had to ‘do something’ by shutting down most economic activity.

These models have one unifying feature.

They were all wildly and spectacularly implausible and are all being proven wildly and spectacularly wrong on a daily basis.

They are also all being promoted by a DEMOCRAT-run website (https://covidactnow.org/) that bombards state, county and local governments with scary "data" on a daily basis to prolong the panic for political purposes.

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2020/04/09/815099/

Do a search for "Neil Ferguson" and see what you learn.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The same "experts" at Imperial College London who did this, BTW:

Do a search for "Neil Ferguson" and see what you learn.
    Are you a military guy?

I know two things....In the age of Saddam Iraq experts and right now Russian and increasingly Chinese experts can run rings around our experts every single day of the week.

Do you know this?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are you a military guy? I know two things....In the age of Saddam Iraq experts and right now Russian and increasingly Chinese experts can run rings around our experts every single day of the week. Do you know this?
    I try not to make statements that cannot be verified on this forum.

As U.S. state and local officials halt the economy and quarantine their communities over the Chinese virus crisis, one would hope our leaders were making such major decisions based on well-sourced data and statistical analysis.

That is not the case.

A scan of statements made by media, state governors, local leaders, county judges, and more show many relying on the same source, an online mapping tool called "COVID Act Now".

Their website says it is “built to enable political leaders to quickly make decisions in their Coronavirus response informed by best available data and modeling.”

New Scientist notes the systematic errors researchers and scientists have found with the modeling "COVID Act Now" relies on.

Chen Shen at the New England Complex Systems Institute, a research group in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and his colleagues point out that the Imperial team’s model is flawed, and contains ‘incorrect assumptions’. They point out that the Imperial team’s model doesn’t account for the availability of tests, or the possibility of ‘super-spreader events’ at gatherings, and has other issues.

So why is the organization or seemingly innocent online mapping tool using inaccurate algorithms to scaremonger leaders into tanking the economy?

Politics, of course.

Founders include DEMOCRAT Rep. Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins and three Silicon Valley tech workers and DEMOCRATactivists — Zachary Rosen, Max Henderson, and Igor Kofman — who are all also donors to various DEMOCRAT campaigns and political organizations since 2016.

Henderson and Kofman donated to the Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016, while Rosen donated to the DEMOCRAT National Committee, disgraced DEMOCRAT Rep. Katie Hill, and other DEMOCRAT candidates. Prior to building the COVID Act Now website, Kofman created an online game designed to raise $1 million for the eventual 2020 DEMOCRAT candidate.

https://tinyurl.com/Another-hoax

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I try not to make statements that cannot be verified on this forum.
    My son was in Afghanistan....he said that the Russians took care of the camps, and that they do a much better job then he has ever seen Americans do at getting things done, and done correctly.

That is a huge motherfucking problem for the West and for America.

Do you understand this far?
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My son was in Afghanistan....he said that the Russians took care of the camps, and that they do a much better job then he has ever seen Americans do at getting things done, and done correctly. That is a huge motherfucking problem for the West and for America. Do you understand this far?
    Irrelevant, and anecdotal tales are not relevant to any serious discussion. Save the gossip for the pool hall.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Irrelevant, and anecdotal tales are not relevant to any serious discussion. Save the gossip for the pool hall.
    That explains a lot.

DARK AGES SUCK!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,818 Times in 17,255 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,594 Times in 4,272 Posts

A year after bug began its romp the "Experts" are just now figuring this out?

That's Interesting!
    I read about it months ago. I guess Fox did not cover it. It does take time to figure some things out. The doctors expected people to recover completely. When they were complaining about continuing problems. That opens up a new study. It all makes sense. The first lingering problems I read about was lung scarring. Younger people who recovered it had bad lung Xrays. They kept having breathing problems. yes, they are still experts.

12. The Following User Groans At Nordberg For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-27-2020)

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I read about it months ago. I guess Fox did not cover it. It does take time to figure some things out. The doctors expected people to recover completely. When they were complaining about continuing problems. That opens up a new study. It all makes sense. The first lingering problems I read about was lung scarring. Younger people who recovered it had bad lung Xrays. They kept having breathing problems. yes, they are still experts.
    "Experts" who fail to perform are not experts, they are experts in name only, as you were supposed to understand.

DARK AGES SUCK!

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    I read about it months ago. I guess Fox did not cover it. .
    The NY Post covered it, Doctor Nerdberg - you remember them. They broke the Biden laptop scandal. And OP cited them.

Here's the part of the report that OP "forgotZ" to mention:

"Experts not involved in the study warned that the results should be viewed with some caution — especially because the study did not record before-and-after cognitive test scores.

The cognitive function of the participants was not known pre-COVID, and the results also do not reflect long-term recovery — so any effects on cognition may be short-term,” Joanna Wardlaw, a professor of applied neuroimaging at Edinburgh University, told Reuters.

Derek Hill, a professor of medical imaging science at University College London, described the results as an “intriguing” but “inconclusive” piece of research".

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The NY Post covered it, Doctor Nerdberg - you remember them. They broke the Biden laptop scandal. And OP cited them.

Here's the part of the report that OP "forgotZ" to mention:

"Experts not involved in the study warned that the results should be viewed with some caution — especially because the study did not record before-and-after cognitive test scores.

The cognitive function of the participants was not known pre-COVID, and the results also do not reflect long-term recovery — so any effects on cognition may be short-term,” Joanna Wardlaw, a professor of applied neuroimaging at Edinburgh University, told Reuters.

Like that was ever going to work with the "Follow the Science" people who completely ignore Biology and have said that they want to defund STEM.

By that I obviously mean colossal liars.

DARK AGES SUCK!