Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: There is no evidence of herd immunity soon

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Previous World Pandemics have taken YEARS to reach herd immunity.No, we are not there.It's going to get worse. MUCH worse.People who do not trust the media are doing themselves and their fellow humans a GRAVE mistake by supporting Trump.
    because this is much more contagious -we should hit it much quicker
    vaccines are coming 6 are approved for limited use. (you can thank Trump for that (Op Warp Speed)

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Actually, I was hoping trump destroys Covid-19, but he will not.
    lol.. maybe China's president Xi will...oh wait..

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    We have no choice but to accept herd immunity. Masks, social distancing, and other steps in attempt to interfere with the spread of the virus are like wearing long sleeves and sunglasses for a nuclear blast. Mother nature is going to have her way, and coronavirus will run its course. We can't stop inevitable herd immunity.
    Stuff like this makes one wonder how ev manages to survive from day to day. He seems to be actively seeking a Darwin Award.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Make America Great Again
    #DumpTrump
    Last edited by rjhenn; 10-27-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,617 Times in 9,138 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Sort of. We do not know how far we are from herd immunity, or if it will ever happen. We do know we are not close. If we were close, we would see rapidly reducing numbers of cases, which we are not seeing. Outbreaks would be burning themselves out, when the opposite is happening.

Light symptoms is not immunity, it is light symptoms. There are only light symptoms to initial HIV infection, but that is very different from being immune to AIDS.
    AIDS is a syndrome caused by the HIV virus. I’ve never heard of a COVID syndrome.

And actually, WuFlu outbreaks do burn themselves out. The Sun Belt peaked then came down. Locally, where I live, my community had a peak and then it went away. Sweden peaked, then burned itself out.

A pandemic is actually a whole bunch of epidemics scattered abroad. Local epidemics peak and then subside like clockwork. If they didn’t subside [burn out] infection numbers would rise to infinity.

We have no idea how near/far Herd Immunity is. Scientifically, we have no idea.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,248 Times in 6,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,852 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    AIDS is a syndrome caused by the HIV virus. I’ve never heard of a COVID syndrome.

And actually, WuFlu outbreaks do burn themselves out. The Sun Belt peaked then came down. Locally, where I live, my community had a peak and then it went away. Sweden peaked, then burned itself out.

A pandemic is actually a whole bunch of epidemics scattered abroad. Local epidemics peak and then subside like clockwork. If they didn’t subside [burn out] infection numbers would rise to infinity.

The bolded is correct. So why is it a strategy?

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    The bolded is correct. So why is it a strategy?
    Why is the strategy waved-off?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,248 Times in 6,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,852 Times in 1,715 Posts

Why is the strategy waved-off?
    Like you said. We have no idea right now.

A strategy should be based on some factual assumptions.

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Still lying I see. Florida, 4,298 new cases today. You call that 'burned out? ROTFLFMAO!!! I'd hate to see if it was still aflame. Sweden? They had 922 new cases yesterday, the equivalent of the US having 35,000 cases. Norway and Finland had fewer than 200. Burned out? No. They are still aflame. They would not go to infinity. Cases come down because there are more active measures in place that lower the R0 to less than 1. Now that Florida has removed many of those active measures, cases are back up. The 7 day rolling average of cases has been rising in Florida for the last 3 weeks. There are not nearly enough cases in any of those places to have even come close to herd immunity.

Scientifically we DO have an idea about how near/far we are from herd immunity. Unless by we you mean you and the turd in your pocket. Then yes, you have no clue. There is no serious virologist that believes herd immunity can be achieved with less than a 50% infection rate.

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Like you said. We have no idea right now.

A strategy should be based on some factual assumptions.
    Assumptions are assumptions—they aren’t factual lol.

The prevailing *assumption* is millions [or whatever] would die before we got to HE. You conceded in your previous post that there’s no way to know if this *assumption* is valid or not

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Still lying I see. Florida, 4,298 new cases today. You call that 'burned out? ROTFLFMAO!!! I'd hate to see if it was still aflame. Sweden? They had 922 new cases yesterday, the equivalent of the US having 35,000 cases. Norway and Finland had fewer than 200. Burned out? No. They are still aflame. They would not go to infinity. Cases come down because there are more active measures in place that lower the R0 to less than 1. Now that Florida has removed many of those active measures, cases are back up. The 7 day rolling average of cases has been rising in Florida for the last 3 weeks. There are not nearly enough cases in any of those places to have even come close to herd immunity.

Scientifically we DO have an idea about how near/far we are from herd immunity. Unless by we you mean you and the turd in your pocket. Then yes, you have no clue. There is no serious virologist that believes herd immunity can be achieved with less than a 50% infection rate.
    Still residing in the Hive Mind, I see lol.

Explain this:

When the coronavirus first reached Argentina, Andrés Bonicalzi steeled himself for the sacrifices to come. A lawyer in Buenos Aires, he started working from home, canceled his weekly visits with his parents and vowed to keep his son inside. The government announced one of the world’s strictest lockdowns.

The next few weeks would be difficult.

But those hard weeks have turned into seven months, and much of Argentina’s quarantine, believed to be the world’s longest, is still dragging on.

So much sacrifice, Bonicalzi sometimes thinks, and for what? The South American country has become one of the coronavirus’s most explosive breeding grounds. In early August, fewer than 200,000 Argentines had contracted the virus. That number has since surged to 1.1 million — 1 out of every 44 people — and 28,000 are dead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

You might need to convince some Argentinians how well lockdowns and masks work.

Or maybe the virus is gonna virus.

12. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Still residing in the Hive Mind, I see lol.

Explain this:

When the coronavirus first reached Argentina, Andrés Bonicalzi steeled himself for the sacrifices to come. A lawyer in Buenos Aires, he started working from home, canceled his weekly visits with his parents and vowed to keep his son inside. The government announced one of the world’s strictest lockdowns.

The next few weeks would be difficult.

But those hard weeks have turned into seven months, and much of Argentina’s quarantine, believed to be the world’s longest, is still dragging on.

So much sacrifice, Bonicalzi sometimes thinks, and for what? The South American country has become one of the coronavirus’s most explosive breeding grounds. In early August, fewer than 200,000 Argentines had contracted the virus. That number has since surged to 1.1 million — 1 out of every 44 people — and 28,000 are dead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

You might need to convince some Argentinians how well lockdowns and masks work.

Or maybe the virus is gonna virus.
    They aren't really quarantining. The poverty rate is over 40%. Of course they are going to have a huge problem. People in poverty are not participating in face mask wearing or lockdown. Covid is rampant in the slums. And their numbers are about the same but a little less than ours.

You asked me to explain Sweden too. Remember that? You claimed they had achieved herd immunity? LOL at you. You have been wrong about virtually everything.

13. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    They aren't really quarantining. The poverty rate is over 40%. Of course they are going to have a huge problem. People in poverty are not participating in face mask wearing or lockdown. Covid is rampant in the slums. And their numbers are about the same but a little less than ours.

You asked me to explain Sweden too. Remember that? You claimed they had achieved herd immunity? LOL at you. You have been wrong about virtually everything.
    So your excuse for Argentina is they aren’t locking down effectively lol.

14. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

The Alt Right claims that we are on the verge of herd immunity, or even that we have herd immunity. If that were true, we would see drastically dropping numbers of cases, we are seeing the opposite. Europe is seeing a second wave, America is seeing a third surge, and every country seems easily susceptible to a new outbreak.

Being on the verge of herd immunity was a logical hypothesis, but it has been disproven. We are nowhere near herd immunity. And we do not know why. It appears you can get Covid-19 multiple times, which might be the reason. Also it appears that a mild case of Covid-19 does not setoff a strong immunity reaction, and that additional infections can be cumulative. This means that the second, or third time you get it might do more serious harm than the first time. Or maybe just far fewer people have gotten the disease than we first thought (and thus the disease is far more deadly).

trump's whole policy was maybe he would get lucky. There used to be a chance of that, but right now there is looking to be no chance of that. Now we have to regret no attempt to put a contact tracing system into effect, and no quarantining of the spread of Covid-19.
    We haven't even been ALLOWED to try herd immunity. Masks, social distancing & lock downs have prevented an attempt.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

15. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So your excuse for Argentina is they aren’t locking down effectively lol.
    It isn't an excuse. It's a fact. 40% poverty. Covid running amok in the slums. Try again.

https://www.france24.com/en/video/20...f-buenos-aires