Thread: How are you Coping with Covid?

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed with your extreme example but disagreed with your "spitting" interpretation.

What if your "free will" violates every Ten Commandment except "Thou shalt not kill"? Aren't all within the Constitution? If so, why? It's obvious: FREE WILL. People can do whatever they like except harm another. I'm good with it.
    It still doesn't change what's lawful and unlawful, or sinful and unsinful. Billy said suicide is a sin and it is to all denominations of Christians and many other religions find it taboo. To us, that's worse than violating secular laws.

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,632 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by /MSG/ View Post
    Who the fuck is Steven? And you clearly cannot read if you don't understand the conversation.
    Steven VanderMolen. A member who asked to be deleted and was done so.

My mistake for assuming you knew who he was. My deepest apologies for being mistaken.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    It still doesn't change what's lawful and unlawful, or sinful and unsinful. Billy said suicide is a sin and it is to all denominations of Christians and many other religions find it taboo. To us, that's worse than violating secular laws.
    Lawful is a matter of law. Sinful is a matter of belief. You believe adultery is a sin, but it's legal. My point is that your and my beliefs are irrelevant when it comes to the law. It's the Sinner's problem alone as long as everyone involved is consensual. Not a place for the law.

Free Will prevails.

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Lawful is a matter of law. Sinful is a matter of belief. You believe adultery is a sin, but it's legal. My point is that your and my beliefs are irrelevant when it comes to the law. It's the Sinner's problem alone as long as everyone involved is consensual. Not a place for the law.

Free Will prevails.
    That changes nothing on the point. Billy carries and follows that belief. To a real Christian, we will hold to that stuff because it is the law to us and takes precedence over secular law.

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    There's no option for my bill didn't change at all... I hate your poll.
    That's what the "less than $100" option was for since "less than" includes "Zero."

Why do you hate my poll?

FWIW, even though my answer is "$100-$200", it's not by increased consumption. It's by increased cost of taste. My old drink included mixed vodka, but I've acquired a taste for Jägermeister shots. Same amount, double the cost.

Additionally, somewhat neutralizing costs, I had a lot of leftover high quality liquor from my dad's wake earlier this year. One brother had quit drinking, which made it easy. Another recommended either "Leadslingers" or "Woodford' Reserve" so I, being the Executor-by-mutual-consent, bought both. My sister recommended "Tito's" which was such an excellent choice that I bought two. All had to fly to Texas for the funeral and wake, so when they left, all the mostly empty bottles were left to me.

Let's be honest, there was no fucking way I was going to leave quarter-filled bottles of our nation's finest liquor for the maids. No offense to maids.

6. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's what the "less than $100" option was for since "less than" includes "Zero."

Why do you hate my poll?

FWIW, even though my answer is "$100-$200", it's not by increased consumption. It's by the increased cost of taste. My old drink included mixed vodka, but I've acquired a taste for Jägermeister shots. Same amount, double the cost.

Additionally, somewhat neutralizing costs, I had a lot of leftover high quality liquor from my dad's wake earlier this year. One brother had quit drinking, which made it easy. Another recommended either "Leadslingers" or "Woodford' Reserve" so I, being the Executor-by-mutual-consent, bought both. My sister recommended "Tito's" which was such an excellent choice that I bought two. All had to fly to Texas for the funeral and wake, so when they left, all the mostly empty bottles were left to me.

Let's be honest, there was no fucking way I was going to leave quarter-filled bottles of our nation's finest liquor for the maids. No offense to maids.
    I'm a beer snob. I make my own because most barley pop they sell in the states is painfully tasteless.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm a beer snob. I make my own because most barley pop they sell in the states is painfully tasteless.
    I BBQ the finest brisket in Texas and am a big believer in the barter system being tax free.

8. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That changes nothing on the point. Billy carries and follows that belief. To a real Christian, we will hold to that stuff because it is the law to us and takes precedence over secular law.
    Soooo, like the Jihadist Muslims, you seek to overpower the secular government and dictate your view of beliefs upon all?

That's what the anti-abortion laws are all about, isn't it? All the assisted suicide laws? Sex laws?

9. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

I BBQ the finest brisket in Texas and am a big believer in the barter system being tax free.
    The barter system is tax free.

10. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    and I advocate keeping that way. It was a message to the LWers. Glad you jumped in.

11. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Soooo, like the Jihadist Muslims, you seek to overpower the secular government and dictate your view of beliefs upon all?

That's what the anti-abortion laws are all about, isn't it? All the assisted suicide laws? Sex laws?
    No, we are to abide the law as we are called to but that doesn't mean accept it. You don't have to follow anything. If you think suicide is fine that's on you and you alone. If you recall me arguing about forced conscription I told you I'd be taking no part based on the same reasoning

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Charoite For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-28-2020)

13. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, we are to abide the law as we are called to but that doesn't mean accept it. You don't have to follow anything. If you think suicide is fine that's on you and you alone. If you recall me arguing about forced conscription I told you I'd be taking no part based on the same reasoning
    Thanks for the clarification.

Obviously one major conflict is between those who not only vote against something like assisted suicide, but become politically-activated while using Freedom of Religion as a shield against criticism. IMO, this is unfair.

14. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Not at the local micro brewers. Whenever you produce en masse you tend to lose the quality of what you're making. Save that beer for batter and try some local.

15. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,026 Times in 8,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Legally speaking, you have to report bartering.
    The IRS reminds all taxpayers that the fair market value of property or services received through a barter is taxable income. Both parties must report as income the value of the goods and services received in the exchange.
    https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/four-th...-if-you-barter
    I used to receive Bitcoins, which legally speaking is bartering. It would have been illegal for me to not pay taxes on them.

16. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Legally speaking, you have to report bartering.

I used to receive Bitcoins, which legally speaking is bartering. It would have been illegal for me to not pay taxes on them.
    If what I provide to you is equal to what you provide to me, there aren't any taxes to pay.