Thread: Balancing the Supreme Court

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,056 Times in 8,411 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    No, the Constitution says they must act on a nomination. And they failed to do that. The only partisan here is you. It doesn't matter who controls what. The President nominates, the Senate considers. The Senate failed. Simple as that.

Democrats would be wrong in not giving Barrett a hearing. Two wrongs don't make a right. I have no issue with the process used to seat Barrett.
    Cite from the constitution.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,230 Times in 13,958 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What you propose is court packing, even if it is just one seat...
    You repeat court packing as if it is a revolutionary idea, no where in the Constitution is the number of Justices listed, it even started out with six, and has gone as high as ten Justices, it has been done in the past

3. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-26-2020)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,278 Times in 13,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 842 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    You repeat court packing as if it is a revolutionary idea, no where in the Constitution is the number of Justices listed, it even started out with six, and has gone as high as ten Justices, it has been done in the past
    Appeal to tradition, making this irrelevant. Show where any of those changes were done solely to benefit one party in getting legislation and laws passed...

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

This. These Trumptards are all about the Constitution, until it doesn't work for them. I would prefer that we had a court with no Gorsuch and Garland instead. Why? Because that's how it's supposed to work. I didn't see in the Constitution that the Senate will consider a President's pick unless they aren't the same party. I missed that part. They have an obligation to consider a nomination, and they did not do so. Period. The remedy is now to add two seats to the court. Which is perfectly acceptable under the Constitution.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-26-2020)

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Appeal to tradition, making this irrelevant. Show where any of those changes were done solely to benefit one party in getting legislation and laws passed...
    LOL. Your hypocrisy is beyond the pale. The failure to consider Garland was a blatant ploy to pack the court with conservatives. And courts do NOTHING to get legislation passed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-26-2020)

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    9 + 1 = 10
    6 + 5 = 11

Discuss
    9 + 5475.......anything less is not enough to stop us......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

when was the last?......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm fine with that. .
    well that makes all the difference in the world.......357M Americans have been holding their breath, waiting to see what you would be "fine with"........

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, the Constitution says they must act on a nomination.
    they could approve or not approve......they did not approve......

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,186 Times in 25,721 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Weird that a political party that has only won one single national election since the 1980s, has nonetheless been able to dominate and shape the nature of the nation's highest Court
    RWs who are gloating that SCOTUS will have a conservative slant for two generations (or something like that), haven't taken into account that Breyer is 82. He could retire or die in the next few years. If Biden becomes president he would nominate a more moderate person to replace Breyer.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    RWs who are gloating that SCOTUS will have a conservative slant for two generations (or something like that), haven't taken into account that Breyer is 82. He could retire or die in the next few years. If Biden becomes president he would nominate a more moderate person to replace Breyer.
    Maybe I’m misunderstanding your statement but if RW’s are gloating the court will move to the right, and you say Biden would appoint someone more moderate to replace Breyer, what are RW’s not taking into account?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

christiefan915 (10-28-2020)

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Maybe I’m misunderstanding your statement but if RW’s are gloating the court will move to the right, and you say Biden would appoint someone more moderate to replace Breyer, what are RW’s not taking into account?
    the celebrations......

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

Simple. Merritt Garland was legitimately nominated for a seat on the Supreme Court, but the Senate failed to even consider his nomination. In order to correct that, a seat should be added to the Supreme Court and Garland should be considered by the Senate for that open seat, or the person who filled that seat should be removed from the court. Since there is no reason to remove Gorsuch, we'll just have to add one more extra seat that will be appointed by President Biden. Done. No court packing necessary. The balance is restored, conservatives still have a 6-5 majority (it should actually be 5-4 at this point).

Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer should make this happen.

Discuss.
    THE PRESIDENT CANNOT UNILATERALLY ADD SEATS TO THE SCOTUS.

REPUBLICANS CONTROLLED THE SENATE WHEN GARLAND WAS NOMINATED.

THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES.

READ THE CONSTITUTION, AND STOP THE BULLSHIT PRETENSE THAT THE SELAZOCRATS WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THE SAME THING.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

Simple. Merritt Garland was legitimately nominated for a seat on the Supreme Court, but the Senate failed to even consider his nomination. In order to correct that, a seat should be added to the Supreme Court and Garland should be considered by the Senate for that open seat, or the person who filled that seat should be removed from the court. Since there is no reason to remove Gorsuch, we'll just have to add one more extra seat that will be appointed by President Biden. Done. No court packing necessary. The balance is restored, conservatives still have a 6-5 majority (it should actually be 5-4 at this point).

Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer should make this happen.

Discuss.
    Like.

Except it is Merrick, not Merritt.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

This. These Trumptards are all about the Constitution, until it doesn't work for them. I would prefer that we had a court with no Gorsuch and Garland instead. Why? Because that's how it's supposed to work. I didn't see in the Constitution that the Senate will consider a President's pick unless they aren't the same party. I missed that part. They have an obligation to consider a nomination, and they did not do so. Period. The remedy is now to add two seats to the court. Which is perfectly acceptable under the Constitution.
    PLEASE CITE A VIOLATION IN CONSTITUTIIONAL GUIDLEINES IN GORSUCH'S SEATING.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber