1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Ahh, you're dreaming. That's fine.

Given the fairly even split in the Federal government, there will be no changes to the size of SCOTUS much less the Constitution anytime soon. Probably not in my lifetime barring a calamity so large they are compelled to act. Something on the order of WWIII or an impact event.
    Yep, the purpose of the thread to was lay out a potential justification for expanding the court based on the premise that the Senate had failed in their Constitutional duty (we can agree to disagree on that, but I didn't pull the argument out of thin air). If this DOES happen it will be purely partisan. Biden was trying to give himself cover the other night in the 60 minutes interview, but what he was saying was bullshit. He will either push for this or he won't. Getting some academics to lay out an argument like mine is just an excuse for a partisan action. I won't pretend otherwise.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,056 Times in 8,411 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Yep, the purpose of the thread to was lay out a potential justification for expanding the court based on the premise that the Senate had failed in their Constitutional duty (we can agree to disagree on that, but I didn't pull the argument out of thin air). If this DOES happen it will be purely partisan. Biden was trying to give himself cover the other night in the 60 minutes interview, but what he was saying was bullshit. He will either push for this or he won't. Getting some academics to lay out an argument like mine is just an excuse for a partisan action. I won't pretend otherwise.
    You haven't pro used a shred of constitutional evidence. You being a whiny 2 year isn't a compelling argument.

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,434 Times in 52,456 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

What is the definition of 'Constitutional?'

Something that does not violate the Constitution or something that adheres to the spirit or intent?

Should the framers have anticipated every instance when an elected official simply refuses to do what is described in the Constitution and provide some penalty or recourse for that?

That goes down a bad road where operatives look for loopholes and exploit them for partisan reasons.
    "We're a nation of laws". If people want something to be within the "spirit" of an idea, they need to pass a law. That's the entire job of the Legislative Branch. The "spirit" part is left up to individuals to decide.

Example; I think "balancing the Supreme Court" violates the spirit of the Constitution. Prove me wrong.** YMMV

**Nor can I prove you wrong since it's a matter of interpretation. Belief.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-27-2020)

5. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    You haven't pro used a shred of constitutional evidence. You being a whiny 2 year isn't a compelling argument.
    Your Anger Management training has failed. Ask for a refund.

6. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Your Anger Management training has failed. Ask for a refund.
    Still no evidence of you claimed. Pathetic shit stain that you are

7. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed; it's a Democrat meme in the last month of a Presidential election. Any bet that the argument mostly disappears after November 3rd?

Biden won't push for it because he knows, like Pelosi knew about the impeachment, that it is doomed to failure. Why? Because they have staffs that can add up votes in Congress.

They'd have a better chance of passing a gun ban since all they need is a simple Congressional majority, not a ratification of 38 states.

8. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Still no evidence of you claimed. Pathetic shit stain that you are
    Like your bunk buddy CFM, you provide the evidence.

9. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Like your bunk buddy CFM, you provide the evidence.
    Still nothing cum wad? Back up your claim scrotum mouth

10. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Agreed; it's a Democrat meme in the last month of a Presidential election. Any bet that the argument mostly disappears after November 3rd?

Biden won't push for it because he knows, like Pelosi knew about the impeachment, that it is doomed to failure. Why? Because they have staffs that can add up votes in Congress.

They'd have a better chance of passing a gun ban since all they need is a simple Congressional majority, not a ratification of 38 states.
    You do not have to amend the constitution to change the size of the court. So they certainly could do this.

11. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You do not have to amend the constitution to change the size of the court. So they certainly could do this.
    With your only argument being, "It's not fair trump got to pick 3".

12. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Simple. Merritt Garland was legitimately nominated for a seat on the Supreme Court, but the Senate failed to even consider his nomination. In order to correct that, a seat should be added to the Supreme Court and Garland should be considered by the Senate for that open seat, or the person who filled that seat should be removed from the court. Since there is no reason to remove Gorsuch, we'll just have to add one more extra seat that will be appointed by President Biden. Done. No court packing necessary. The balance is restored, conservatives still have a 6-5 majority (it should actually be 5-4 at this point).

Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer should make this happen.

Discuss.
    It's MERRICK, you low information dipshit.

No correction necessary the Constitution spells this out clearly enough for even you to understand. The President nominates, The Senate confirms. Period, end of story. The Constitution says nothing about a "balanced court".

And please stop lying about a "6-3" court. Roberts votes with you leftist scumbags. We now have a 5-4 SCOTUS. Sounds pretty "balanced" to me. In fact, it's the definition of balanced.
    Every life matters

13. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Weird that a political party that has only won one single national election since the 1980s, has nonetheless been able to dominate and shape the nature of the nation's highest Court
    Weird that anyone cares about popular vote since it has never meant anything.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

14. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Still nothing cum wad? Back up your claim scrotum mouth
    QED. Thanks for the angry lies.

15. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

QED. Thanks for the angry lies.
    I'm still waiting for you to back up your claims so go fuck yourself

16. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Weird that anyone cares about popular vote since it has never meant anything.
    It's a political tool. "Will of the People". What they are refusing to admit is that the Constitution is the "Will of the People". They can't change the Electoral College, so they put on pink pussy hats, break out their cardboard signs and bitch about it....as is their right.

The problem is if anyone cares about their protests. I don't. It won't change anything. Better to focus on what can be changed as the Serenity prayer advises.