1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What you propose is court packing, even if it is just one seat...
    Smash and grab Republicans have no credibility in discussing the SCOTUS. They have totally politicized it.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Tacomaman (10-26-2020)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Then remove Gorsuch and replace him with Garland. I'm fine with that. The point is that the Senates failure to fulfill their constitutional duty needs to be corrected. That is not a partisan statement.
    Can't remove one.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

The Senate can act on a nomination or not. If the Democrats controlled the Senate then he'd have been put on the court. If the Democrats controlled the Senate now ACB wouldn't get a hearing. That's the non-partisan reality and truth of this.
    If Dems packed the court it would be because Republicans deserve it after what they did.

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,242 Times in 13,389 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello T. A. Gardner,

If Dems packed the court it would be because Republicans deserve it after what they did.
    Like it or don't they followed the standing conventions and laws. "Elections have consequences" Barack Obama....

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello christiefan915,

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    RWs who are gloating that SCOTUS will have a conservative slant for two generations (or something like that), haven't taken into account that Breyer is 82. He could retire or die in the next few years. If Biden becomes president he would nominate a more moderate person to replace Breyer.
    What am I missing here?

Breyer is one of the remaining 3 liberals on the Court. If he's considering retirement, he would be wise to do it when Democrats have the WH AND the Senate, seeing as how the SCOTUS has now become a political football, thanks to the Republicans.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Like it or don't they followed the standing conventions and laws.
    No, they did not. They refused to hold hearings for Garland. That was failing to do their Constitutionally described roll. He deserved an up or down vote.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Tacomaman (10-26-2020)

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello T. A. Gardner,

No, they did not. They refused to hold hearings for Garland. That was failing to do their Constitutionally described roll. He deserved an up or down vote.
    The Senate can hold hearings, but it's at their digression. How many other Trump nominees are waiting right now for a hearing?

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It wasn't like Garland is some kind of LW liberal, either. Instead he is very centrist. Obama specifically chose a centrist so that Republicans would not really have a standing to object. McConnell simply abused his power, that's all. Failed to do his job, failed the American people.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

christiefan915 (10-28-2020)

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

The Senate can hold hearings, but it's at their digression. How many other Trump nominees are waiting right now for a hearing?
    I think you meant discretion. (McConnell has digressed from doing his job...)

And that's another thing. Obama made all kinds of judicial nominations that McConnell simply refused to hold hearings on. He has made a sham of the office. The Constitution never considered that someone would be so sneaky and nitpicky as McConnell. By failing to fulfill his role, he is destroying the USA, destroying confidence in our government. Such actions are risky to the basis of the Republic. Our government only works with the consent of the governed. Keep it up, conservatives. Keep on getting people to hate our own government and see where that leads. I hope you don't think it's a good thing. It's going to destroy the country if you don't watch out.

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

What you propose is court packing, even if it is just one seat...
    Court packing has already occurred. It happened with Garland.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Like it or don't they followed the standing conventions and laws. "Elections have consequences" Barack Obama....
    That is hogwash. Garland was entitled to a vote. McConnell knew that Garland was too qualified not to be confirmed. As such, he pulled a "stunt" that paid off. That certainly needs corrected.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello T. A. Gardner,

I think you meant discretion. (McConnell has digressed from doing his job...)

And that's another thing. Obama made all kinds of judicial nominations that McConnell simply refused to hold hearings on. He has made a sham of the office. The Constitution never considered that someone would be so sneaky and nitpicky as McConnell. By failing to fulfill his role, he is destroying the USA, destroying confidence in our government. Such actions are risky to the basis of the Republic. Our government only works with the consent of the governed. Keep it up, conservatives. Keep on getting people to hate our own government and see where that leads. I hope you don't think it's a good thing. It's going to destroy the country if you don't watch out.
    Digression... You know how often they get sidetracked...?

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Tacomaman View Post
    That is hogwash. Garland was entitled to a vote. McConnell knew that Garland was too qualified not to be confirmed. As such, he pulled a "stunt" that paid off. That certainly needs corrected.
    Awwww... How cute. That's almost as relevant as Ginsburg's supposed dying wish counting...

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What McConnell did was partisan bullshit. If you want to sacrifice your credability by trying to defend it, that's your business. At the end of the day, Republicans STOLE a SCOTUS seat. That needs to be corrected.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

christiefan915 (10-28-2020)

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It wasn't like Garland is some kind of LW liberal, either. Instead he is very centrist. Obama specifically chose a centrist so that Republicans would not really have a standing to object. McConnell simply abused his power, that's all. Failed to do his job, failed the American people.
    McConnell does EXACTLY what the "special interests" pay him to do.