Thread: "Trump is not a Christian" – Pope Francis

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    One does not have to accept the divinity of Jesus Christ to accept Christianity????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are seriously twisted up, pal.
    Reading comprehension fallacy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Cypress (10-28-2020)

3. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    My two cents:

One does not have to accept the divinity of Jesus to acknowledge the integrity of genuine theological and religious scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    One does not have to accept the divinity of Jesus Christ to accept Christianity?????
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You are seriously twisted up, pal.
    ^ that is not what I wrote, crack head.

Respond to what I actually wrote, not what you wish or imagine I wrote

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

AProudLefty (10-28-2020), christiefan915 (10-28-2020)

5. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

My two cents:

One does not have to accept the divinity of Jesus to acknowledge the integrity of genuine theological and religious scholarship.

Whatever one thinks of the world's faith traditions, Catholic, Jewish, and Buddhist scholars are at least asking the right questions: what is it to live an authentic life, what is the meaning of life, how should I live, and what can I hope for?

Asking the right questions is at the heart of scholarly inquiry and the intellectual life.

The questions being asked by religious scholars are at least as valid as those being asked by accounting and business school PhD candidates.
    Agreed. So look to improve it and scrub the superstition and promises about the unknowable, comparing it to the most banal careers you can conjure doesn't accomplish it. LOL
    I agree superstitious religions do a fine job of preaching aspiration, value of hope, ethics (notable exceptions), charity, positivity and redemption.

Lying can NEVER be ethical. Promising eternal life is the biggest lie one can tell a mortal human. And it is a mass crime to do so because that is how it is done.
    Faith and hope be damned. It is scientifically unsupportable, so why sell that? It is immoral to do so.

In the simplest of terms, people will and do alter their behavior in this life based upon the unsupportable promise of an eternal life. That is criminal in the extreme.
    Last edited by Micawber; 10-28-2020 at 02:59 PM.

6. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Agreed. So look to improve it and scrub the superstition and promises about the unknowable, comparing it to the most banal careers you can conjure doesn't accomplish it. LOL
    I agree superstitious religions do a fine job of preaching aspiration, value of hope, ethics (notable exceptions), charity, positivity and redemption.

Lying can NEVER be ethical. Promising eternal life is the biggest lie one can tell a mortal human. And it is a mass crime to do so because that is how it is done.
    Faith and hope be damned. It is scientifically unsupportable, so why sell that? It is immoral to do so.

In the simplest of terms, people will and do alter their behavior in this life based upon the unsupportable promise of an eternal life. That is criminal in the extreme.
    I do not agree that Christian, Jewish, and Buddhist scholars are lying about their belief in a metaphysical realm beyond our immediate sensory experience.

Too many physicists, chemists, and geneticists - including Nobel laureates - are practicing Catholics , Jews, Protestants to reasonably conclude that religion is the sole province of liars and rubes.

My two cents: anyone who does not like theology or Christianity should not pursue a doctorate in theology.

In my view as an outside observer, a graduate education in theology has just as much intellectual integrity as a graduate education in accounting , chemical engineering, or marketing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Charoite (10-28-2020)

8. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

My two cents:

Whatever one thinks of the world's faith traditions, Catholic, Jewish, and Buddhist scholars are at least asking the right questions: what is it to live an authentic life, what is the meaning of life, how should I live, and what can I hope for?

Asking the right questions is at the heart of scholarly inquiry and the intellectual life.

The questions being asked by religious scholars are at least as valid as those being asked by accounting and business school PhD candidates.
    If you want to ponder life, you can study philosophy without the religious trappings.

9. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,176 Times in 14,712 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

So you tacitly acknowledge Pope Francis has never called himself "Jesus Christ on Earth".

The pope has never called himself Jesus Christ on Earth, and neither have I, so take your complaints up with whoever did say it
    Since all Popes are infallible if any pope has said they are Christ on Earth it must be correct and applies to ALL Popes. I’m unsure about what the current Pope has said but I do have a book called Crossing the Threshold of Hope written by John Paul II and on page 3 he said the Pope is Christ on Earth. I have seen similar quotes for several other Popes. Since Popes are infallible they MUST be correct. <sarcasm>

10. The Following User Groans At ExpressLane For This Awful Post:

christiefan915 (10-28-2020)

11. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I do not agree that Christian, Jewish, and Buddhist scholars are lying about their belief in a metaphysical realm beyond our immediate sensory experience.

Too many physicists, chemists, and geneticists - including Nobel laureates - are practicing Catholics , Jews, Protestants to reasonably conclude that religion is the sole province of liars and rubes.

My two cents: anyone who does not like theology or Christianity should not pursue a doctorate in theology.

In my view as an outside observer, a graduate education in theology has just as much intellectual integrity as a graduate education in accounting , chemical engineering, or marketing
    How can you support a party that supports late term abortion? The murder of a baby that is capable of independent life outside on the womb?

12. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

You and the entire Democrat party are fucked then!

13. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,832 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,598 Times in 4,276 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    How can you support a party that supports late term abortion? The murder of a baby that is capable of independent life outside on the womb?
    Define late-term. The Dems do not unless it is about saving the mother. Some kids go bad and threaten the mother's life. Then it is acceptable. it is therefore extremely rare. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/healt...ner/index.html

14. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Define late-term. The Dems do not unless it is about saving the mother. Some kids go bad and threaten the mother's life. Then it is acceptable. it is therefore extremely rare. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/healt...ner/index.html
    The Dems don't support ANY restrictions on abortion.

15. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

16. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldvoTrumpovich View Post
    Pope Francis, on Wednesday, said that President Donald Trump of the United States of America “is not Christian.”

The Pope was reacting to Trump’s campaign promises to deport more immigrants and force Mexico to pay for a wall along the border.

The Pope was speaking after being asked by a reporter about the President on the papal airliner as he returned to Rome, Italy, after his six-day visit to Mexico.

He said, “A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian.”

Trump is the incarnation of all that is evil. Any Christian who votes for evil is most assuredly going to hell.
    This is not a current event.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle