Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landlords, Housing Industry File Suit Against CDC Over Eviction Ban

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Landlords, Housing Industry File Suit Against CDC Over Eviction Ban

A group of Ohio landlords and the National Association of Home Builders, a national trade group for the housing industry, is challenging the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's eviction ban in court, The Hill reports.

The landlords and industry group filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio on Friday.

They claim that the CDC, Department of Health and Human Services, and Department of Justice violated federal law and the Constitution when they imposed a national ban on evictions last month.

''The CDC’s moratorium is a sweeping expansion of federal power over the rights of property owners nationwide,'' said Steve Simpson, a senior attorney at Pacific Legal Foundation, which is representing the landlords and NAHB. ''Fortunately, Congress never gave the CDC that authority, and the Constitution’s separation of powers does not allow an agency to make up the law as it goes along. The courts shouldn’t allow the CDC’s power grab to continue.''

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/5...n-eviction-ban

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wonder if they will win before the order expires on December 31.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I wonder if they will win before the order expires on December 31.......
    My Tenant gave me the CDC Declaration. And when I went to Court, it was upheld. It does say they owe you the Unpaid Rent on the 31st of December. But I'm thinking it may be extended.
    My question. Do I still owe Property Taxes if I'm not getting any Rent? Will the CDC step in and cancel my Tax to the Parish (County)?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,993 Times in 8,258 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,672 Times in 2,478 Posts

I do not like trump's decision to apply it to the entire country. It also required a lot of bizarre rules that were not allowed to be enforced, so all worked against the landlord.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Do I still owe Property Taxes if I'm not getting any Rent? Will the CDC step in and cancel my Tax to the Parish (County)?
    Supposedly, trump is also blocking foreclosures, but there too it is dependent on how much money you have. So if you do not pay property taxes, you will not, IN THEORY, lose the property.

There are so many ways this can come back to haunt you. A lot of people are playing stupid games. If they do backfire, there will not be much sympathy for them. People who can pay rent are not, and they will find it much harder to rent or buy in the future.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Supposedly, trump is also blocking foreclosures, but there too it is dependent on how much money you have. So if you do not pay property taxes, you will not, IN THEORY, lose the property.

There are so many ways this can come back to haunt you. A lot of people are playing stupid games. If they do backfire, there will not be much sympathy for them. People who can pay rent are not, and they will find it much harder to rent or buy in the future.
    Here in Seattle the landlords are steadily losing rights so who knows....already checking criminal history of applicants is illegal and the first qualitied applicant must get the space....landlords are not allowed to pick who they want.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

When I was at the Courthouse, one woman had Covid-19 and was hacking pretty bad. They wouldn't let her inside. After about 2 hours, something happened and an ambulance was called for her. So, some people ARE in trouble. I've already cut my Tenant's rent in half because she did lose her Job. The CDC Declaration DOESN'T block Foreclosures. And ... if you want to keep your Property, you better pay your Property Taxes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Matt Dillon (10-24-2020)

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Here in Seattle the landlords are steadily losing rights so who knows....already checking criminal history of applicants is illegal and the first qualitied applicant must get the space....landlords are not allowed to pick who they want.
    What I always found unfair is a tenet pays his rent like clockwork, or worse yet prepays his rent, but the landlord fails to pay the mortgage, and next thing you know the tenet is being evicted. Often there is no notice, just one day they are out on the street.

I have known a lot of people who play games with the system. They have the money to pay rent, but they figure out a way not to pay(like trump). They declare bankruptcy, and walk away with all the profit to themselves (like trump). They take bizarre tax deductions(like trump). Or just refusing to pay bills(like trump). Often they make some money, but usually it all blows up in the face sooner or later; not always, but usually. And when it does, no one has sympathy for them.

I had a business that went bankrupt. It was a corporation, so no need for me to pay any of the debts. But I realized I would have to work with the people who I owed money to again, and again, so I paid them out of my own pocket. It nearly drove me bankrupt, but now I have strong business contacts.

I understand that not everyone can pay their bills, and sometimes money is short. But if you can, I strongly recommend you do. That is just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jackoff View Post
    When I was at the Courthouse, one woman had Covid-19 and was hacking pretty bad. They wouldn't let her inside. After about 2 hours, something happened and an ambulance was called for her. So, some people ARE in trouble. I've already cut my Tenant's rent in half because she did lose her Job.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Alt-left Walty View Post
    I had a business that went bankrupt. It was a corporation, so no need for me to pay any of the debts. But I realized I would have to work with the people who I owed money to again, and again, so I paid them out of my own pocket. It nearly drove me bankrupt, but now I have strong business contacts.
    I don't believe you.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

When I was at the Courthouse, one woman had Covid-19 and was hacking pretty bad. They wouldn't let her inside. After about 2 hours, something happened and an ambulance was called for her. So, some people ARE in trouble. I've already cut my Tenant's rent in half because she did lose her Job. The CDC Declaration DOESN'T block Foreclosures. And ... if you want to keep your Property, you better pay your Property Taxes.
    It is becoming like the Russian economy. The Russian factory boss promises to pay his workers every week, but only pays the worker three out of four weeks. The worker promises to pay his landlord the full rent, but only pays 75% of it. The landlord keeps running up a bigger and bigger debt to the storeowner, because he can only pay 75% of the bills. The storeowner can only pay 75% of the bill to the factory boss. There are bigger and bigger debts that everyone owes everyone else. I have known Russian workers who are owed 5 years pay, and owe about the same amount to everyone else.

Then a huge inflation wave comes through, and everyone can pay down the debt with the new more plentiful money. If that happens, I will feel like a real sucker for not being deeply in debt.

It is tough times in America, when we start comparing it to Russia. You are doing the right thing, trying to work things out with tenets who are in real trouble. It is hard on you, but in the long run you will keep the better tenets.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 829 Times in 788 Posts

I have to go with a general contractor I do side jobs for tomorrow to look at some section 8 apartments. The government won't pay their share of the rent until the apartments have air conditioning and heat that works. I can understand the need, but it's also Arizona where you can get by with neither too... (yes, it's more difficult but people managed for centuries to do it too).

From what I was told already have a plan and it's thousands instead of tens of thousands to resolve it. Is it top-of-the-line? No. But it is quite acceptable and will work even if it's occasionally a little cold or hot. When you are getting the government to pay your rent I don't see where you can be picky about such things.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Matt Dillon (10-24-2020)

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Side story, a maintenance man tried to get into the server farm where I sometimes work with a high fever. He could get two weeks pay for just staying home(for having Covid-19), but wanted the overtime also. He is ahead of me and sets off the temperature camera. They won't let him into the building, and he will not get out of the way. He is screaming he has the right to overtime, or some such nonsense. My phone rings, and it is security in NYC, who is watching all this on CCTV and they are demanding I leave the building immediately.

So I go out and sit in my car in the parking lot. 15 minutes later a SWAT team in hazmat suits runs in to arrest him. I never went closer than 12 feet to him, but was required to get 4 Covid-19 tests in 2 weeks.

It seems like there should have been a better way to handle it all, but I honestly do not know what it could be. He refused to leave the property. I think he was just extremely stressed.

All I can think is we live in one strange dystopia.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Al-left Walty View Post
    Side story, a maintenance man tried to get into the server farm where I sometimes work with a high fever. He could get two weeks pay for just staying home(for having Covid-19), but wanted the overtime also. He is ahead of me and sets off the temperature camera. They won't let him into the building, and he will not get out of the way. He is screaming he has the right to overtime, or some such nonsense. My phone rings, and it is security in NYC, who is watching all this on CCTV and they are demanding I leave the building immediately. So I go out and sit in my car in the parking lot. 15 minutes later a SWAT team in hazmat suits runs in to arrest him. I never went closer than 12 feet to him, but was required to get 4 Covid-19 tests in 2 weeks. It seems like there should have been a better way to handle it all, but I honestly do not know what it could be. He refused to leave the property.
    A Story for Every Occasion™.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Alt-left Walty View Post
    You are doing the right thing, trying to work things out with tenets who are in real trouble. It is hard on you, but in the long run you will keep the better tenets.
    "Tenets".