Members banned from this thread: PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM, Cancel 2020.2 and Yakuda

Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Same Sex Marriages

1. #391 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,444 Times in 52,461 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    I thought you were referring to cultural development. Yes, economically and technologically, they are developing faster, but culturally, that's not always the case. Granted, some of what is considered "developing" is not always good.

Well, the gender wage gap is one. Another is the patriarchy nonsense they often bloviate about. What they fail to realize is that some of the patriarchal aspects of society actually benefit women. The sexual revolution was largely negative for women, for example.
    Cultural development goes hand in hand with technological developments and prosperity of the middle class. US tech is among the best but the decreasing size of the US middle class could be a problem. Cultures vary. There's a big difference between US and Japanese culture but there's no denying both are prosperous and successful forms of democracy. Same goes for post-WWII Western Europe. Why do you think Muslim nations would be any different?

Would you rather be a rich slave or a poor freeman? I would rather be free and poor than have all my needs cared for but be less than a First Class citizen.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Sailor (10-24-2020)

3. #392 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Cultural development goes hand in hand with technological developments and prosperity of the middle class. US tech is among the best but the decreasing size of the US middle class could be a problem. Cultures vary. There's a big difference between US and Japanese culture but there's no denying both are prosperous and successful forms of democracy. Same goes for post-WWII Western Europe. Why do you think Muslim nations would be any different?

Would you rather be a rich slave or a poor freeman? I would rather be free and poor than have all my needs cared for but be less than a First Class citizen.
    Words of wisdom there.

4. #393 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

I used to feel that way, but if I'm being honest, I'd much rather live as a wealthy Singaporean than as a free Indian. For me, it's a balance. There's an extent to which I prefer a high standard of living over a high level of political freedoms.

I also have my doubts in democracy overall. I use Singapore as an example, because they technically have a democratic government, but their political freedoms are considerably lower than ours, and the government functions as a technocracy. Yet, they have one of the highest standards of living in the world -- arguably higher than ours.

5. #394 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Guess this Pope doesn't read the Bible.
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish For This Post:

Stretch (10-24-2020)

7. #395 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I used to feel that way, but if I'm being honest, I'd much rather live as a wealthy Singaporean than as a free Indian. For me, it's a balance. There's an extent to which I prefer a high standard of living over a high level of political freedoms.

I also have my doubts in democracy overall. I use Singapore as an example, because they technically have a democratic government, but their political freedoms are considerably lower than ours, and the government functions as a technocracy. Yet, they have one of the highest standards of living in the world -- arguably higher than ours.
    So the question remains would you rather be a wealthy Singaporean living in a nice 3 bedroom apartment or a poor American living on ten acres in an old two bedroom single wide?

8. #396 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So the question remains would you rather be a wealthy Singaporean living in a nice 3 bedroom apartment or a poor American living on ten acres in an old two bedroom single wide?
    Singaporean, for sure.

9. #397 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Singaporean, for sure.
    Odd that you'd prefer an authoritarian utopia over freedom but it's your choice to choose the Blue Pill.

OTOH, hundreds of Trophy Wives choose the same path. Something you and Melania would have in common.

10. #398 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Odd that you'd prefer an authoritarian utopia over freedom but it's your choice to choose the Blue Pill.
    Given current trends, I don't think America's freedoms will be around much longer.

11. #399 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Given current trends, I don't think America's freedoms will be around much longer.
    We've suffered worse trends. The United States is a lot more robust and resilient than many people credit it for being.

12. #400 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

OTOH, hundreds of Trophy Wives choose the same path. Something you and Melania would have in common.
    She made a smart choice on multiple levels.

13. #401 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We've suffered worse trends. The United States is a lot more robust and resilient than many people credit it for being.
    I used to believe that, but what we're seeing now is just an acceleration of problems that started after WW2 ended. The riots and social changes of the 60s were the first signs.

14. #402 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

She made a smart choice on multiple levels.
    A matter of choice. One I would not make but thanks for the insights.

15. #403 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I used to believe that, but what we're seeing now is just an acceleration of problems that started after WW2 ended. The riots and social changes of the 60s were the first signs.
    The unrest today is not even close to that of the 60s.

Example: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...2020-not-1968/

2020’s uprisings resemble those of 1919, 1943, and 1968 in certain respects: They grow out of simmering hatreds seeded by the long, festering history of white violence and police brutality against African Americans that has taken hundreds of lives of per year, including Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, three of the most recent victims. Most of 2020’s protests have been peaceful, early reports have found, with a fraction becoming violent.

The cycle of violence continues, but like a pendulum swinging, the cycles become shorter and milder over time regardless if they are national or international.

Example:

16. #404 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The unrest today is not even close to that of the 60s.

Example: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...2020-not-1968/

2020’s uprisings resemble those of 1919, 1943, and 1968 in certain respects: They grow out of simmering hatreds seeded by the long, festering history of white violence and police brutality against African Americans that has taken hundreds of lives of per year, including Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, three of the most recent victims. Most of 2020’s protests have been peaceful, early reports have found, with a fraction becoming violent.

The cycle of violence continues, but like a pendulum swinging, the cycles become shorter and milder over time regardless if they are national or international.

Example:
    Well, how the violence is measured is a bit suspect in most of the analyses I've seen. It's often measured by whether charges are filed or not. In a lot of jurisdictions, no charges are made despite property damage or physical assaults. Sometimes, this is due to political reasons, and other times, it's due to not being able to identify a suspect.

I acknowledge that the current riots aren't as prominent as the ones of the 60s, but they're more violent than is often stated by the media.

17. #405 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well, how the violence is measured is a bit suspect in most of the analyses I've seen. It's often measured by whether charges are filed or not. In a lot of jurisdictions, no charges are made despite property damage or physical assaults. Sometimes, this is due to political reasons, and other times, it's due to not being able to identify a suspect.

I acknowledge that the current riots aren't as prominent as the ones of the 60s, but they're more violent than is often stated by the media.
    Dude, you are free to advocate the Lizard Lords of β Draconis IV are censoring the "real news" but I continue to disagree.

As for violence, the limit is mortality. Once a person is dead, how much more violence can you do to them?