Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Utilize Cash Back Credit Cards?

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    the F150 I currently drive I bought through a craigslist ad from a private owner in Ohio.......about 200 miles......it had low mileage.......only used by a retired schoolteacher to pick up sheep of low moral values for her son......

& here I took you for a beamer or Lexis guy.............
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Nice try but a weak excuse. I'm far smarter than you and can spot your kind easily.
    You're not smarter than me. Maybe you need reading comprehension classes.

Here's what I wrote:

If you don't trust yourself to not spend that money (that WOULD have gone to those expenses anyway) for the 2-3 days it takes to post to your credit card account, then you must be very irresponsible with money.
    I wasn't accusing you of being irresponsible with money. I was using "you" in a general sense.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

& here I took you for a beamer or Lexis guy.............
    Most people who own pickup trucks don't need to. If you're a contractor, a van is superior in that it offers more space and greater protection against thieves.

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Panetta View Post
    You're not smarter than me. Maybe you need reading comprehension classes.

Here's what I wrote:

I wasn't accusing you of being irresponsible with money. I was using "you" in a general sense.

Was I included in that general "you" that you claim you meant?

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Was I included in that general "you" that you claim you meant?
    If it applies to you, then yes. Does it apply to you?

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Most people who own pickup trucks don't need to. If you're a contractor, a van is superior in that it offers more space and greater protection against thieves.
    Why do you think it's your place to determine what someone you don't know needs or doesn't need?

I can carry 18' long boards in my truck. I can't do that in a van that isn't even 18' long.

As far as protection, rest assured I have it.

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If it applies to you, then yes. Does it apply to you?
    Then you weren't using the general you.

Caught you, boy. It means I'm way smarter than you. I baited the hook and you bit it like a stupid fish.

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,069 Times in 3,419 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Go to a new car dealer with cash in your pocket. Take their best offer and slice off 10% and show him the cash. See what happens.
    What is going to happen is the dealer will file form 8300 with the IRS which will then lead to the IRS investigating your use of such a large amount of cash for financial transactions.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Althea (10-23-2020)

10. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What I buy at places like CVS or Walmart doesn't add up to a lot nor would the cash back amount to very much. However, when you buy $10,000 or more worth of lumber several times a year and get a cash discount, it does.
    Are they giving you a cash discount or a quantity discount? Those are 2 different things. Quantity discount will save you more than a cash discount. They must love you if they only have to give you the cash discount.

Frankly, if you are buying that much you would be better off opening an account with the lumberyard and negotiating a discounted price for everything. Then depending on the business they might give you an additional 2% discount for payment within 10 days. Actually, if you are buying that amount of lumber, you would be better off not buying from a lumberyard but instead opening an account with a lumber distributor. Cash isn't king when it comes to business, accounts are.

Once again, if you are paying $10,000 with actual cash then they are reporting your payment to the IRS if they are following the law.

11. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    Are they giving you a cash discount or a quantity discount? Those are 2 different things. Quantity discount will save you more than a cash discount. They must love you if they only have to give you the cash discount.

Frankly, if you are buying that much you would be better off opening an account with the lumberyard and negotiating a discounted price for everything. Then depending on the business they might give you an additional 2% discount for payment within 10 days. Actually, if you are buying that amount of lumber, you would be better off not buying from a lumberyard but instead opening an account with a lumber distributor. Cash isn't king when it comes to business, accounts are.

Once again, if you are paying $10,000 with actual cash then they are reporting your payment to the IRS if they are following the law.
    Both. If I buy a dozen 2x4x104 5/8" pre cut studs, I don't get a volume discount but they give me a better price for cash. The quantity discounts don't usually apply to small orders.

Paying cash is a discounted price. Cash is king when you can pay the bill, get the same price as what you're saying with an account, and you don't have to concern yourself with having to keep up with paying later.

Do you consider a check the same as actual $100 bills? The money is there to back it up when it's written and not having it would mean they could report me to the police for knowingly writing bad checks.

12. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Both. If I buy a dozen 2x4x104 5/8" pre cut studs, I don't get a volume discount but they give me a better price for cash. The quantity discounts don't usually apply to small orders.

Paying cash is a discounted price. Cash is king when you can pay the bill, get the same price as what you're saying with an account, and you don't have to concern yourself with having to keep up with paying later.

Do you consider a check the same as actual $100 bills? The money is there to back it up when it's written and not having it would mean they could report me to the police for knowingly writing bad checks.
    So, you aren't using cash. OK, got that one. It seems your claims of "pulling out cash" were nonsense just as I suspected.

The thing is if you have an account at a normal lumberyard they give you quantity discounts for everything because your yearly volume earns that discount. Your account rep looks at it and says, he buys $10,000 worth of studs every year so our standard price for him is $6.40 per stud vs the $7.00 normal price. They then charge you $6.40 per stud if you buy one or if you buy 100. Then they would bill your account and send you a monthly invoice. Many businesses like lumberyards then offer a further 2% reduction if you pay within 10 days instead of the 30 days.

Having money there to back up a check is no different than having money there to back up a credit card. The only difference is when you use the card you get cash back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Althea (10-23-2020)

14. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    So, you aren't using cash. OK, got that one. It seems your claims of "pulling out cash" were nonsense just as I suspected.

The thing is if you have an account at a normal lumberyard they give you quantity discounts for everything because your yearly volume earns that discount. Your account rep looks at it and says, he buys $10,000 worth of studs every year so our standard price for him is $6.40 per stud vs the $7.00 normal price. They then charge you $6.40 per stud if you buy one or if you buy 100. Then they would bill your account and send you a monthly invoice. Many businesses like lumberyards then offer a further 2% reduction if you pay within 10 days instead of the 30 days.

Having money there to back up a check is no different than having money there to back up a credit card. The only difference is when you use the card you get cash back.
    Where did I say I pulled out cash? Quote me.

You really have no clue how things work so stop pretending.

Having money to back up a check is quite different than promising you'll have it when the credit card bills comes due. A bird in the hand (cash in this case) is worth two in the bush (promise to pay at a later date with cash that may or may not be there). Just how many people have gotten into credit card debt because they promised to pay a bill and couldn't? How many that paid cash, even through a valid check, got into trouble because the bill was paid?

15. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Then you weren't using the general you.

Caught you, boy. It means I'm way smarter than you. I baited the hook and you bit it like a stupid fish.
    Are you playing dumb? I'm asking if it applies to you. How would I possibly know whether or not you're financially responsible?

16. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are you playing dumb? I'm asking if it applies to you. How would I possibly know whether or not you're financially responsible?
    You didn't ask a thing. You made a claim.

17. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Where did I say I pulled out cash? Quote me.

You really have no clue how things work so stop pretending.

Having money to back up a check is quite different than promising you'll have it when the credit card bills comes due. A bird in the hand (cash in this case) is worth two in the bush (promise to pay at a later date with cash that may or may not be there). Just how many people have gotten into credit card debt because they promised to pay a bill and couldn't? How many that paid cash, even through a valid check, got into trouble because the bill was paid?
    Having money to back up a check is literally no different than having the money to back up a credit card charge. I pay off my credit cards as soon as the charge posts to my account. All my credit cards always report monthly with $0 balances.