Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people still believe in Jesus and Christianity?

1. #736 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,113 Times in 12,638 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjhenn View Post
    Nice diversion.

Make America Great Again
    #DumpTrump

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    If concerns your future....you really should pay attention.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

2. #737 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Chinese Empire is to be global and at this point there is no reason to claim that it wont happen, the Chinese and their friends are clobbering the West....the West is dying.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

3. #738 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    If concerns your future....you really should pay attention.
    There's no support for that either. If God really loved us, don't you think that He'd make it obvious that He exists? Why does He hide from us? Is He afraid of us?

Make America Great Again
    #DumpTrump

RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

4. #739 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There's no support for that either. If God really loved us, don't you think that He'd make it obvious that He exists? Why does He hide from us? Is He afraid of us?

Make America Great Again
    #DumpTrump

China does not wish you well...and bad quality work carries with it consequences the UNIVERSE demands...That is my message.

DARK AGES SUCK!

5. #740 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    China does not wish you well...and bad quality work carries with it consequences the UNIVERSE demands...That is my message.
    So you're calling out God on His "bad quality work"?

Make America Great Again
    #DumpTrump

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

6. #741 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arks&sparka View Post
    Academia these days is infantile and incredibly stupid.

Many people in academia literally deny science like a backward religion.

As far as Muslims go I have no problem with them. I'm just pointing out how academics treat them as tokens they do the same thing with black people and lesbians and women and anybody else they can use to promote how woke they are. Because they're infantile and stupid.
    Sounds like you're talking about the right instead of academia.

Make America Great Again
    #DumpTrump

7. #742 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,478 Times in 52,483 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

The 'evidence' is that there's no evidence that it does exist.

Make America Great Again
    #DumpTrump
    So there is no other life in the Universe except on our planet. There are no alternate planes of existence, no other dimensions, no multiverses. We are all alone in this single universe which is doomed to Heat Death in 200 billion years. Awesome!
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (10-21-2020)

9. #743 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Panetta View Post
    Well, I don't know what you mean by "critically trained," but among scholars, the Christ myth idea is gaining traction.
    Take a look at any mythical material - take the 'king' Arthur stories, for instance - and you find that they feel quite unlike most of Mark, say, even the earlier versions which are much closer to a likely historical figure we happen to know very little about. I was taught what they used to call 'practical criticism' by an early pupil of F.R. Leavis, then studied under him myself, so I got well trained, and even given the problems of translation etc etc etc I can assure you this is not myth.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

Cypress (10-21-2020)

11. #744 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 42 Times in 40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arks&sparka View Post
    No communism is a socioeconomic structure.
    As with the communism of Christianity suicidal sociopsychopathilogical homicidal human farming socioeconomic machine & it's Christiananality pedophilia interpretation of one nation under God with "serve the Pope or die" from Islam "death to the infidels" dhimmitude servitude law of the land ever since SCOTUS granting standing with fabricated misnomer immaculate conceptions for thieving US Constitutions - old glory - old testament - absentee voting ballots arsonists.

12. #745 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by votebiden View Post
    Make the future the past.
    we are......one day at a time.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #746 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,711 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

The Roman's kept meticulous records. Is there any mention in their records of a Jesus of Nazareth? Or are there just 3rd person accounts from His followers?

The Romans executed and crucified many people they considered to be common criminals. They did not keep records or write books about them. An illiterate Jewish peasant from the backwater of Galilee with a ministry of less than 20 people would have not even registered a blip on their radar of what they deemed important.

Jesus' apostles were illiterate Jewish peasants from a provincial backwater. I am not sure why you expect illiterate peasants to be keeping diaries about Jesus. Very few people in antiquity were literate, not to mention we probably have less than one percent of anything that was written 2000 years ago - the rest was lost, rotted away, or discarded.

Antiquity was largely an oral culture, not a written one. Paul's New Testament epistles were written about 20 years after Jesus' execution, and the literate, Greek-speaking Paul purportedly met two of the original companions and apostles of Jesus: Peter and Jesus' brother James.
    Last edited by Cypress; 10-21-2020 at 06:29 AM.

14. #747 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The Romans executed and crucified many people they considered to be common criminals. They did not keep records or write books about them. An illiterate Jewish peasant from the backwater of Galilee with a ministry of less than 20 people would have not even registered a blip on their radar of what they deemed important.

Jesus' apostles were illiterate Jewish peasants from a provincial backwater. I am not sure why you expect illiterate peasants to be keeping diaries about Jesus
    Anyone who expects the Romans to have mentioned Jesus should try to reconstruct the history of Roman Britain and its change into the countries of modern Britain using Roman records. Try finding out even what language people spoke. The Imperial authorities simply weren't interested in their subjects' lives or deaths.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

Cypress (10-21-2020), ThatOwlWoman (10-22-2020)

16. #748 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    How do you know this asteroid did what you claimed? Were you there?

Buzzwords don't do anything to the Universe except waste people's time. Void argument fallacy. Newton's theory of gravitational attraction has not been falsified yet.

No, it is YOU. It is YOU making the circular argument fallacy. It is YOU being the fundamentalist. It is YOU making all these fantastic claims as a proof.

No argument presented. Buzzwords. Void argument. Non-sequiturs. Denial of science. Circular argument fallacy (fundamentalism).
    Okay, the international scientific community really does not care if you do not think the big bang is a valid scientific theory.

You are going to have to pay me money if you want me to teach you about the discovery, science and reasearch concerning the Chicxulub crater in Yucatan. I had to pay college tuition to acquire knowlege of that nature.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (10-21-2020), ThatOwlWoman (10-22-2020)

18. #749 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Jesus' apostles were illiterate Jewish peasants from a provincial backwater. I am not sure why you expect illiterate peasants to be keeping diaries about Jesus. Very few people in antiquity were literate, not to mention we probably have less than one percent of anything that was written 2000 years ago - the rest was lost, rotted away, or discarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by iolo eto View Post
    Anyone who expects the Romans to have mentioned Jesus should try to reconstruct the history of Roman Britain and its change into the countries of modern Britain using Roman records. Try finding out even what language people spoke. The Imperial authorities simply weren't interested in their subjects' lives or deaths.
    It is anachronistic belief to assume antiquity is like the modern age, with journalists, bureaucrats, government employees diligently recording the most mundane events, and hermetically sealing the papyrus scrolls to ensure they survive 2000 years for our reading pleasure.

Very few people were literate or capable of writing in the middle iron age of two millennia ago. And they certainly would not have been diligently recording and archiving the execution of an obscure Jewish peasant.

For the people who could write in antiquity, they certainly were not writing about illiterate peasants who were executed as common criminals.

The surprising thing actually is that there is such a substantial written record about an illiterate Jewish peasant from a provincial backwater, compiled within 20 to 50 years of his execution.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (10-21-2020), ThatOwlWoman (10-22-2020)

20. #750 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

It is anachronistic belief to assume antiquity is like the modern age, with journalists, bureaucrats, government employees diligently recording the most mundane events, and hermetically sealing the papyrus scrolls to ensure they survive 2000 years for our reading pleasure.

Very few people were literate or capable of writing in the middle iron age of two millennia ago. And they certainly would not have been diligently recording and archiving the execution of an obscure Jewish peasant.

For the people who could write in antiquity, they certainly were not writing about illiterate peasants who were executed as common criminals.

The surprising thing actually is that there is such a substantial written record about an illiterate Jewish peasant from a provincial backwater, compiled within 20 to 50 years of his execution.
    Christ did have follewers (disciples) and did many teachings, and drew large crowds,
    so I wouldn't completely dismiss his life as an illiterate peasant.

What we call Palm Sunday drew large crowds and attention as he rode into Jerusalem.
    He was treated as a king -the palms and cloaks on the ground to sanctify his way