Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263 LastLast
Results 916 to 930 of 932

Thread: Why do people still believe in Jesus and Christianity?

  1. #916 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    28,494
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    yep . a couple up the pool are from Syria ( Damascus area near Lebanon) and she from the UAE.
    They are the nicest.. and they listen to my Libya ramblings !!! lol
    Muslim??

    Corporate America is the lobbying arm of the CCP and Wall Street is the investor relations department



  2. #917 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    28,494
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    My theory is that the West's lingering and historic apprehension of Muslims goes back 600 years, and has nothing to do with Arabs of the Near East, Persian Gulf, and North Africa.

    It has everything to do with the Europeans being terrified of the Ottoman Turks, and the savage warrior ethos of the central Asian Turkic tribes of the steppes. Ottoman Turk expansion into Europe left a vivid cultural impression in the West's collective consciousness of the militarism and supposed unbounded cruelty of the Turkic-speaking "barbarians" from the central Asian steppes.

    I still believe there is a lingering cultural residue in the consciousness of western civilization regarding the cruel Turkic barbarians steppe tribes.
    That is prob true to a great extent...... So funny the Russians beat them & Tartars like bitches............

    Part of that fear/terror was justified but additionally there was a huge slave(Slav) trade & those Europeans brought a good price in the slave markets..

    I don't like the ottomans for this as well as their murdering of Armenians & stealing Christian children to be trained (Janissary) slaves of their wretched rulers-

    While they butchered & raped into the west, they were getting a good taste of same via the Mongols that chased their asses west & out of the central asian steeps

    Corporate America is the lobbying arm of the CCP and Wall Street is the investor relations department



  3. #918 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    32,749
    Thanks
    10,162
    Thanked 19,167 Times in 13,190 Posts
    Groans
    225
    Groaned 1,388 Times in 1,315 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Muslim??
    lol..you know I never actually asked...
    But she wears a black t shirt over her bathing suit in the pool -so I would assume so

  4. #919 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31,654
    Thanks
    14,552
    Thanked 19,299 Times in 9,969 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,189 Times in 1,958 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    That is prob true to a great extent...... So funny the Russians beat them & Tartars like bitches............

    Part of that fear/terror was justified but additionally there was a huge slave(Slav) trade & those Europeans brought a good price in the slave markets..

    I don't like the ottomans for this as well as their murdering of Armenians & stealing Christian children to be trained (Janissary) slaves of their wretched rulers-

    While they butchered & raped into the west, they were getting a good taste of same via the Mongols that chased their asses west & out of the central asian steeps
    Good work. The Slavic wars against the Golden Horde can arguably be seen as the seed of formation of the Russian nation-state and Empire.

    I do not think USA citizens were even particularly paranoid or even bothered about Arabs until the 1980s. The centuries long animosity towards Islam actually goes back straight to the nomad tribes of the steppes, in my estimation.

    The Ottomans, Seljuks, and other Turkic speaking nomad tribes of the central Asian steppes were late-comers to Islam, and I do not think they were particularly pious or Orthodox Muslims. They mixed Islam in a very syncretic way with their central Asian steppes warrior ethos - ultimately terrifying western Europe by annihilating the Byzantine Empire and marching straight to the gates of Vienna.

  5. #920 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,957
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    14
    Groaned 214 Times in 198 Posts

    Default

    I don't give a fat fuck what mythical characters people choose to worship.

    When they try to impose their absurd religious views onto the laws of the land, however, that's when we see the huge mistake made by the founders.

    We needed freedom FROM, not OF, religion.

    Theocracy has always been among the biggest obstacles to a civilized society.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Person...woman...man...camera...television. Donald Trump, 2020

  6. #921 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21,471
    Thanks
    5,817
    Thanked 9,267 Times in 7,052 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 918 Times in 881 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I don't give a fat fuck what mythical characters people choose to worship.

    When they try to impose their absurd religious views onto the laws of the land, however, that's when we see the huge mistake made by the founders.

    We needed freedom FROM, not OF, religion.

    Theocracy has always been among the biggest obstacles to a civilized society.
    Dude, get a fucking grip. We do have freedom from religion.


    Disagreed on the place of theocracy in history. It's a tool. It's like saying chemistry has been among the biggest obstacles to civilized society because it created gunpowder.
    A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed. We are one planet.
    - Carl Sagan 1980

    __________神風__________軍神_____

  7. #922 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,957
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    14
    Groaned 214 Times in 198 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Dude, get a fucking grip. We do have freedom from religion.


    Disagreed on the place of theocracy in history. It's a tool. It's like saying chemistry has been among the biggest obstacles to civilized society because it created gunpowder.
    Look at the SCOTUS and tell me again that we have freedom from religion.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Person...woman...man...camera...television. Donald Trump, 2020

  8. #923 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31,654
    Thanks
    14,552
    Thanked 19,299 Times in 9,969 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,189 Times in 1,958 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I don't give a fat fuck what mythical characters people choose to worship.

    When they try to impose their absurd religious views onto the laws of the land, however, that's when we see the huge mistake made by the founders.

    We needed freedom FROM, not OF, religion.

    Theocracy has always been among the biggest obstacles to a civilized society.
    A pluralistic society, which guarantees freedom of thought and faith, has the best historical record.

    Strictly Atheist societies which sought to eliminate religion do not have a good track record.

    The USSR was explicitly atheist, they made state atheism official policy, and they attemped to outlaw and repress religious faith. The atheist USSR was one of the most murderous regimes in history, and went to great lengths to imprison and murder hundreds of thousands of priests, bishops, deacons, and religious lay persons

  9. #924 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21,471
    Thanks
    5,817
    Thanked 9,267 Times in 7,052 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 918 Times in 881 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Look at the SCOTUS and tell me again that we have freedom from religion.
    What religion have you been forced to believe or adhere to?

    Kinda blows you support for dialogue and debate on the other thread. LOL
    https://aelarsen.files.wordpress.com...es5.jpeg?w=529
    A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed. We are one planet.
    - Carl Sagan 1980

    __________神風__________軍神_____

  10. #925 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,957
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    14
    Groaned 214 Times in 198 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    What religion have you been forced to believe or adhere to?

    Kinda blows you support for dialogue and debate on the other thread. LOL
    https://aelarsen.files.wordpress.com...es5.jpeg?w=529
    Opposittion to abortion and LGBT rights is entirely based on inane religious superstition and bigotry.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Person...woman...man...camera...television. Donald Trump, 2020

  11. #926 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21,471
    Thanks
    5,817
    Thanked 9,267 Times in 7,052 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 918 Times in 881 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Opposittion to abortion and LGBT rights is entirely based on inane religious superstition and bigotry.
    Correct. So? So is fucking in public or abusing children. They have drawn the line, for religion, at homosexuality and abortion. Where do you draw the line?

    What laws would you impose on others regardless if they liked it or not?
    A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed. We are one planet.
    - Carl Sagan 1980

    __________神風__________軍神_____

  12. #927 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,957
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    14
    Groaned 214 Times in 198 Posts

    Default

    Not abusing children is not a religious position.
    The insane bible calls for child abuse, truth be told. Secular humanism opposed child abuse.

    Not fucking in the street is merely a social convention depending on the culture of the times.
    Public fucking offends the majority today, but fuck privately as you wish.
    Same with taking a dump in public, actually. Is that a religious issue?
    And Victorian times frowned on public breast feeding, but it's commonplace now.

    Tomorrow could be totally different--even for fucking in the street.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Person...woman...man...camera...television. Donald Trump, 2020

  13. #928 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21,471
    Thanks
    5,817
    Thanked 9,267 Times in 7,052 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 918 Times in 881 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Not abusing children is not a religious position.
    The insane bible calls for child abuse, truth be told. Secular humanism opposed child abuse.

    Not fucking in the street is merely a social convention depending on the culture of the times.
    Public fucking offends the majority today, but fuck privately as you wish.
    Same with taking a dump in public, actually. Is that a religious issue?
    And Victorian times frowned on public breast feeding, but it's commonplace now.

    Tomorrow could be totally different--even for fucking in the street.
    Where do you draw the line and why? Based on what empirical science?
    A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed. We are one planet.
    - Carl Sagan 1980

    __________神風__________軍神_____

  14. #929 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,957
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    14
    Groaned 214 Times in 198 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Where do you draw the line and why? Based on what empirical science?
    The determining sciences in this case are anthropology and sociology. I have only undergraduate familiarity with both, but there are elite minds in academia whose opinions are valued by intelligent people and disputed by Joe Sixpack Trumpanzees who can't write a simple declarative sentence intelligibly. I'm not a populist. I respect knowledge.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Person...woman...man...camera...television. Donald Trump, 2020

  15. #930 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21,471
    Thanks
    5,817
    Thanked 9,267 Times in 7,052 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 918 Times in 881 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    The determining sciences in this case are anthropology and sociology. I have only undergraduate familiarity with both, but there are elite minds in academia whose opinions are valued by intelligent people and disputed by Joe Sixpack Trumpanzees who can't write a simple declarative sentence intelligibly. I'm not a populist. I respect knowledge.
    Great. So where do you draw the line on sexual morality? Based on what logic? Or will you use Justice Stewart's logic?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobe...#Supreme_Court
    Justice Potter Stewart's concurrence, stating that the Constitution protected all obscenity except "hard-core pornography". He wrote, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that."
    A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed. We are one planet.
    - Carl Sagan 1980

    __________神風__________軍神_____

Similar Threads

  1. ROFLOLMAO! ROGER STONE HAS FOUND JESUS! & SAYS JESUS HAS FORGIVEN TRUMP
    By Centerleftfl in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-06-2020, 10:50 PM
  2. Jesus "Tempts" Republicans With Christianity Matthew 19:21
    By Anti-Party in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
  3. Christianity?
    By signalmankenneth in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 01:54 AM
  4. WTF? "We hunt people for Jesus".?
    By Cancel5 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM
  5. End of Christianity?
    By OrnotBitwise in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 08:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •