Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi Running Out Of ICU Capacity

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,766 Times in 7,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Just as predictable is the communication of it to those who aren't "ignorant crackers who listen to the diseased oragutan" but have to later interact with them.
    That's a good point.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

WTF are you talking about? The white house recently issued a statement declaring eradication of the corona virus as a signature achievement!
    You know you can believe our President, don't you?
    Oh, I missed that. Never mind. Nothing to see here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-31-2020)

4. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    ICUs in many states are becoming strained, and we had 90,000 new cases yesterday. This is just the beginning. In a matter of weeks, this countries healthcare system is going to be overrun. I doubt that will get the attention of the science deniers, sadly. But it's frightening for anyone at risk. There may be no hospital bed for you. You can drown in your own fluids sitting in your home where you've infected all of your loved ones. America is Great? That wouldn't happen in a great country.
    Wisconsin is going to become a basket case very quickly.

It's one thing to have one big city like New York infected with resources pouring in from other states but it's another thing for all the states to be infected and each of their resource capacities are exhausted.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Go for your revolution. You'll be shot down in the streets as a violent nutjob. Trump doesn't support the Constitution and history will prove this by 2024.

How many Republicans will be trying to run a Trump in 2024 and how many will be treating the Trump family as toxic goods and distancing themselves from the Trump administration? Any guesses on a percentage?

I'm thinking it would be over 90% running from the Trumps like Democrats from Hillary. There's always 10% who are fucking morons.
    These guys are disconcerting. There appears to be an open hostility and a sense of entitlement among the Trumpers. They are now akin to radical islamic terrorists in their zealotry. I'm concerned about how widespread this violence is going to be. I know most won't act, but sadly, there is a small minority that may act, and innocent people are going to be the collateral damage.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (10-30-2020), PoliTalker (10-31-2020)

7. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's one thing to have one big city like New York infected with resources pouring in from other states but it's another thing for all the states to be infected and each of their resource capacities are exhausted.
    Exactly. This is now all over. Even here in Florida, after a major outbreak in the summer, our numbers are going up again. This one is going to be very bad. I don't see at this point how you stop it from happening. We may now already have enough infections to put a serious strain on the healthcare system, and it seems likely we're going to reach 100K cases a day in the next day or two. Happy f'ing holiday folks.

8. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wisconsin is having a very bad effect on us up here to their north. At Memorial Day our total case # was ~100, with 16 deceased. Yesterday? 5,674 cases and 116 deaths. Our ICUs are filling up. They used to airlift critical patients to Green Bay or Milwaukee for a higher level of care. Can't do that now.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-30-2020), PoliTalker (10-31-2020)

10. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Exactly. This is now all over. Even here in Florida, after a major outbreak in the summer, our numbers are going up again. This one is going to be very bad. I don't see at this point how you stop it from happening. We may now already have enough infections to put a serious strain on the healthcare system, and it seems likely we're going to reach 100K cases a day in the next day or two. Happy f'ing holiday folks.
    Yep. 91,000 new cases yesterday alone.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

12. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

These guys are disconcerting. There appears to be an open hostility and a sense of entitlement among the Trumpers. They are now akin to radical islamic terrorists in their zealotry. I'm concerned about how widespread this violence is going to be. I know most won't act, but sadly, there is a small minority that may act, and innocent people are going to be the collateral damage.
    Unfortunately, a serviceable "weapon of mass destruction" has been proven to be fairly easy to obtain and deploy by any freakshow with the intent,
    be it a cache of automatic weapons in a vegas hotel, or a fertilzer bomb, or poison gas from beans on a subway....

So it takes no coalition to turn a free and fair election into panic, just one or a few like minded sociopaths, no matter the stripe.

13. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Wisconsin is having a very bad effect on us up here to their north. At Memorial Day our total case # was ~100, with 16 deceased. Yesterday? 5,674 cases and 116 deaths. Our ICUs are filling up. They used to airlift critical patients to Green Bay or Milwaukee for a higher level of care. Can't do that now.
    It's going to be bad. I wonder how many Trumpers really believe COVID-19 will disappear on November 4th? How many are really that fucking stupid or deranged?

14. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, a serviceable "weapon of mass destruction" has been proven to be fairly easy to obtain and deploy by any freakshow with the intent,
    be it a cache of automatic weapons in a vegas hotel, or a fertilzer bomb, or poison gas from beans on a subway....

So it takes no coalition to turn a free and fair election into panic, just one or a few like minded sociopaths, no matter the stripe.
    LWL hyperbolic bullshit. An AK-47 isn't a WMD except in the minds of gun-banning LW authoritarians. Ricin is a powder, not a gas.

There are nutjobs on both sides and, IMHO, you're one of them. No better than the TD twins or Legion. Fortunately, all of you are a very small minority. Sanity will prevail.

15. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's going to be bad. I wonder how many Trumpers really believe COVID-19 will disappear on November 4th? How many are really that fucking stupid or deranged?
    I've come to realize that probably 85% of what Trumpanzees say is just bullshit calculated to get a response out of non-Trumpanzees, hopefully an angry one. Then they can hoot and pound their shrunken chests and say "Libs are always so angry!" lol

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

17. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I've come to realize that probably 85% of what Trumpanzees say is just bullshit calculated to get a response out of non-Trumpanzees, hopefully an angry one. Then they can hoot and pound their shrunken chests and say "Libs are always so angry!" lol
    Agreed and such people, regardless of political polarity, should never be trusted. Maybe they're lying, maybe they're just mentally ill. Either way, they are untrustworthy.

Let's be honest, most of us are here for entertainment. Engaging those people can be entertaining. Taking them seriously crosses the line into sharing their insanity or dishonesty.

18. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

WTF are you talking about? The white house recently issued a statement declaring eradication of the corona virus as a signature achievement!
    You know you can believe our President, don't you?
    So sad.

We have to fix this.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

19. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

Oh, I missed that. Never mind. Nothing to see here.

The populace gets opposite information from 2 completely different streams.

There is the traditional media which is trusted, reliable, credible, and has a track record of establishing protocols and vetting stories to maintain reputation.

And then there is the right wing Alex Jones style tabloid disinformation network led by President Trump, the biggest mouthpiece of propaganda and fake news around.

We have freedom of the press in the USA, and this is what it has come down to.

One presents the most professionally verified facts they can. The other just makes stuff up and runs with it as long as it is attention-getting and sells advertising.

Note that all the major non-profit news sources align with the professionally verified facts side. They are not trying to get attention to sell advertising. Their mission is not to generate profits; it is to inform.

PBS, BBC, NHK, DW. They all run nonprofit mainstream news the right wingers would call 'liberal,' but in actuality it is simply the most balanced and verified news they can present.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Concart (10-31-2020)

21. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

We would be way better off if we were not so polarized. It is OK to believe different things, but the whole deal where people go after the character of those with whom they disagree is the big problem. Where beliefs are dependent on believing that the other side is comprised of horrible negative people who only want to destroy then it causes good people to do bad things out of animosity. It also causes people to reject reasoned arguments simply out of spite.

I am firmly convinced that much of what the right believes is dependent on hating the left. Once there is this emotional wall put up between the sides, then people won't listen to reason or even science simply because the left believes it. The right disbelieves facts that come from the left simply out of spite. Then they go and look for alternate explanations of circumstances, find it, and seize upon that.

I also think the left hates the right simply because the right is so nasty and so adamantly opposed to what the left considers extremely reasoned arguments.

I place much of the blame on misinformation peddlers, and the second most amount of blame has to go to the right wing for severe dehumanization of the left as a part of supporting their alternate beliefs. The remaining blame goes to the left for lack of maturity and reacting emotionally to the right, and then dehumanizing the right.

The pandemic has exposed the weakness of a divided America.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Concart (10-31-2020)