Thread: Herd immunity is stubborn and won’t go away

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Default Herd immunity is stubborn and won’t go away

The CDC's current best estimate is that as many as 40% of those infected with COVID-19 remain asymptomatic. The T cell theory has emerged over the last few months as a promising, though still preliminary, explanation for why such a significant percentage of infections may be essentially harmless.

Research into the matter has continued steadily since the earlier days of the pandemic. A study published in the journal Science in early August, for instance, suggests that "variegated T cell memory to coronaviruses that cause the common cold may underlie at least some of the extensive heterogeneity observed in COVID-19 disease."

That study was funded in part by Fauci's own NIAID.

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...mpression=true

The T-cell theory is an attempt to explain the remarkable fact that up to 40% of COVID infections remain asymptomatic.

Fauci and Rand Paul got into a testy exchange about why the 40% native immunity shouldn’t be added in with the 22% acquired immunity in NYC—since that neatly explains why NYC was ravaged by the China virus but suddenly went—and remains, quiet.

If 62% isn’t the herd immunity threshold it’s knocking hard at the door.

What I can’t wrap my brain around is why Fauci insists that we have understand the precise immune mechanism that explains the 40% asymptomatic rate.

Just go with it. Why is it necessary to know *exactly why* that number is so high? For whatever reasons, 40% is the base rate of immunity in a population. Maybe it’s T-cells, maybe it’s something yet to be discovered.

So, when the acquired COVID immunity starts to creep up close to 20% in a population, it’s safe to assume the virus is close to done virusing at least in that population or community. It certainly *seems* to be doing exactly that in several places around the world.

I don’t understand why this is such a big problem.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-27-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

"variegated T cell memory to coronaviruses that cause the common cold may underlie at least some of the extensive heterogeneity observed in COVID-19 disease."
    clearly i need tof ind out more about coronavirus - i dont get the connection to a common cold

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Why is herd immunity the problem? The number of people that have to die to achieve herd immunity.
    You are as ignorant as Rand Paul if you believe 20% is close to done, 61.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...in-the-us/amp/
    JFC.. do some studying up on asymptomatic positive cases (no sickness or deaths) that still produce antibodies

and the role of T-cells and B memory cells for long term immunity after the antibodies fade

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,429 Times in 53,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    clearly i need tof ind out more about coronavirus - i dont get the connection to a common cold
    "Common colds" are almost all caused by coronaviruses. It's a very large family.

ETA: Some researchers into SARS-CoV2 believe that prior exposure to the ubiquitous coronavirus family may have created antibodies that help the individual fight off infection with COVID. Why then do some ppl seem to be able to throw off this virus, and others succumb? That's the million dollar question. Research continues.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    "Common colds" are almost all caused by coronaviruses.
    thanks I'm looking at it now.
    Because memory T cells have been trained to recognize specific antigens, they will trigger a faster and stronger immune response after encountering the same antigen.
    https://www.genscript.com/antibody-d...ey-formed.html
    so corona virus that cause common colds, are recognized antigens by the memory T-cells and produce immune system responses.
    Meaning the common cold also produces herd immunity? ( by T-cell recognition?)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Same family of viruses. Makes perfect sense that there would be some cross-reactive immune factors. IOW, the immune system would ‘recognize’ COVID—at least somewhat, from past encounters with cold viruses from the same family.

The important thing is that there is ****something**** that keeps 40% of the population from getting sick with it.

They are effectively immune to COVID. Why do we need to know anything more in terms of herd immunity?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,584 Times in 9,990 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 873 Times in 830 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by That Shit Pot Scrubber View Post
    Im just happy my fat old ass doesnt have to scrub shit pots out at the nursing home anymore. Especially in Michigan, damn Covid shit pots everywhere. Talk about a shitty job!
    Doesnt sound too good TSPS, not good at all. : (

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It’s viral nomenclature: Coronavirus might be the Family; SARS is maybe the genus [I forgot a lot of this crap lol] with SARS COVID II being the precise species.

Something to the effect.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wait, I have a stupid guess too.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

11. The Following User Groans At Rune For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-27-2020)

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,429 Times in 53,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

thanks I'm looking at it now.

so corona virus that cause common colds, are recognized antigens by the memory T-cells and produce immune system responses.
    Meaning the common cold also produces herd immunity? ( by T-cell recognition?)
    I don't know about a "herd," but yes -- infection with a typical virus will activate the immune system, and the "memory" of that infection will live on in your system. If exposed to the same virus in the future, you should be either totally immune, or have enough left that you would only get a mild illness. Hopefully this will prove to be the case with COVID as well.

That being said, the immunity wanes with time and age. This is why most adults don't catch colds as often, until they reach old age. It's also why we need to get boosters of vaccines we received in childhood: Tetanus, pertussis, etc. Example: As a g-ma I had plenty of DPT shots as a kid and remain at least partially immune to those diseases. But I could still catch a mild case of pertussis. Not a biggie for me, but I could give it to my newborn g-son who has no immunities yet. That's why you see ads pushing the pertussis vaccine on us elders.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Wait, I have a stupid guess too.
    Let me guess, you like Fauci’s guess lol.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Same family of viruses. Makes perfect sense that there would be some cross-reactive immune factors. IOW, the immune system would ‘recognize’ COVID—at least somewhat, from past encounters with cold viruses from the same family.

The important thing is that there is ****something**** that keeps 40% of the population from getting sick with it.

They are effectively immune to COVID. Why do we need to know anything more in terms of herd immunity?
    Fauci and Rand Paul got into a testy exchange about why the 40% native immunity shouldn’t be added in with the 22% acquired immunity in NYC—since that neatly explains why NYC was ravaged by the China virus but suddenly went—and remains, quiet.
    Fauci is a complete ass.
    that;s good reasoning why herd immunity is accomplished with only 22% actual infection rate.

He's a pompous out of touch face time preener.. he's a dumb ass

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,519 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Blog Entries

Albeit temporarily .
    Haw, haw..............................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.