Thread: Murkowski Backtracks on RBG Vacancy,

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default Murkowski Backtracks on RBG Vacancy,

(via Alaska Public Media):

If Democrats were counting on Lisa Murkowski to vote against President Trump’s next nominee to the Supreme Court, they should think again.

Sen. Murkowski said Tuesday she could not rule out that she would vote to confirm a Trump nominee if the Judiciary Committee approves one before the November election.

“I know everybody wants to ask the question, ‘will you confirm the nominee?’” she said outside the Capitol, as her Republican colleagues were gathering for their weekly policy lunch. “We don’t have a nominee yet. You and I don’t know who that is. And so I can’t confirm whether or not I can confirm a nominee when I don’t know who the nominee is.”

Sen. Mitt Romney took a similar position Tuesday, so it looks nearly impossible for Democrats to block Trump from seating his third Supreme Court justice.

The other possible wild cards, Sens. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Pat Toomey (R-PA), and Cory Gardner (R-CO), all said they’re backing the move to fill the seat.

That’s the ballgame.
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...illin-n2576728

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Bigdog (09-23-2020), Code1211 (09-23-2020), Earl (09-23-2020), RB 60 (09-23-2020), Wolverine (09-23-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Should be! We know Pelosi has said she will impeach him daily for whatever reason she chooses, which we know is a lie the constitution is clear on the reason for impeachment.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolverine For This Post:

Earl (09-23-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,030 Times in 12,560 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post

If Democrats were counting on Lisa Murkowski to vote against President Trump’s next nominee to the Supreme Court, they should think again.

Sen. Murkowski said Tuesday she could not rule out that she would vote to confirm a Trump nominee if the Judiciary Committee approves one before the November election.

“I know everybody wants to ask the question, ‘will you confirm the nominee?’” she said outside the Capitol, as her Republican colleagues were gathering for their weekly policy lunch. “We don’t have a nominee yet. You and I don’t know who that is. And so I can’t confirm whether or not I can confirm a nominee when I don’t know who the nominee is.”

Sen. Mitt Romney took a similar position Tuesday, so it looks nearly impossible for Democrats to block Trump from seating his third Supreme Court justice.

The other possible wild cards, Sens. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Pat Toomey (R-PA), and Cory Gardner (R-CO), all said they’re backing the move to fill the seat.

That’s the ballgame.
    A lot of this is blowback for the abuse of Kavanaugh.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,296 Times in 27,101 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

That’s the ballgame.
    Explain why you and the Republican Party said only a few years ago that no supreme court appointments can happen in an election year

7. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-23-2020)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-23-2020), Rune (09-23-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,786 Times in 33,644 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Explain why you and the Republican Party said only a few years ago that no supreme court appointments can happen in an election year
    They’re cheaters. Trumpublican don’t play fair.

10. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-23-2020)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Rune (09-23-2020)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Liars too apparently. It was their own Senate rule that no appointments can happen in an election year

13. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-23-2020)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-23-2020)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Explain why Joe Biden said that when a Republican was President then supported Obama doing it when he was President.

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,786 Times in 33,644 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Liars too apparently. It was their own Senate rule that no appointments can happen in an election year
    It’s good they are exposing themselves, but the sad thing, people who vote for them don’t care it appears. It appears they condone lying because all their leaders now lie openly and they vote for them. It’s disappointing, but these are the days of our lives.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (09-23-2020)

18. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Should be! We know Pelosi has said she will impeach him daily for whatever reason she chooses, which we know is a lie the constitution is clear on the reason for impeachment.
    Didn't stop her the first time.

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It’s good they are exposing themselves, but the sad thing, people who vote for them don’t care it appears. It appears they condone lying because all their leaders now lie openly and they vote for them. It’s disappointing, it these are the days of our lives.
    It was Joe Biden that said it shouldn't happen when GHW Bush had an opportunity then he stood by the black BOY when he wanted to do what Joe said shouldn't be done.

It appears you condone hypocrisy. I'm not shocked coming from someone that thought the black BOY was qualified based solely on skin color.

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    The Constitution is also clear on who nominates and who confirms/denies. No timeline is mentioned.

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Explain why Joe Biden said that when a Republican was President then supported Obama doing it when he was President.
    A terrible apples to oranges analogy excuse.

Biden does not set Senate rules.
    The Democrats do not control Senate rules, and if they did a liberal justice would have replaced Scalia.

That never happened, so the analogy does not have a leg to stand on.

Republicans make Senate rules and control the outcomes. Their senate rule is when a Democrat is president, we can have no appointments in an election year. When a Republican is president, we can appoint a justice a few weeks before an election.

22. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-23-2020)

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That’s the ballgame.
    Murkowski is another of the feckless idiots who will endorse anything to keep their seat.

Trump is a guy that has a set of ideas and beliefs that turn into policies and programs and real world outcomes moving toward a better world.

It's nice that our Representatives represent their constituents, but at some point, they need to show a little back bone and stand for SOMETHING.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code1211 For This Post:

anonymoose (09-23-2020), Earl (09-23-2020)

25. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obama told McConnell, "Elections have consequences". McConnell agreed with Obama by blocking the Garland nomination. At the time, he thought he was merely deferring to Hillary.

Are you asserting that the wishes of the Big 0 should be ignored? Are you asserting that the Big 0 was wrong?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Code1211 For This Post:

Earl (09-23-2020)

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're funny in a tragically myopic kind of a way.