Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Secession?

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    lol......next they'll try to tax your income for ten years after you die.......
    What do you think inheritance taxes are?

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    What do you think inheritance taxes are?
    what they are NOT, is a tax on income......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

what they are NOT, is a tax on income......
    True. It's a tax on the inheritors. Then there's estate tax. If the deceased died intestate, it can get complicated.

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    True. It's a tax on the inheritors. Then there's estate tax. If the deceased died intestate, it can get complicated.
    your state-ments are confusing.......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

your state-ments are confusing.......
    Think so?

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

so I say.....or state, if you will.....

technically an estate tax (federal and some states) is a tax upon the estate......some states have an inheritance tax (for example, Michigan) which is a tax upon the person inheriting an estate.........the state of your tax return is not impacted by an intestate estate (no will or trust), though typically it will result in higher attorney fees, such being the state of things in most state's estates......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 09-22-2020 at 07:14 PM.

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

so I say.....or state, if you will.....

technically an estate tax (federal and some states) is a tax upon the estate......some states have an inheritance tax (for example, Michigan) which is a tax upon the person inheriting an estate.........the state of your tax return is not impacted by an intestate estate (no will or trust), though typically it will result in higher attorney fees, such being the state of things in most state's estates......
    Well-stated.

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,909 Times in 21,670 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hiden View Post
    well nothing else in your life does

BTW, it really doesn't take a lot of time finding your posts. Don't you know how to look things up?

I know you hope people will just forget what you say because you just say things that are convenient from day to day, but some of us have principles unlike you
    Keep investigating... I’m sure you will find something to make you feel whole!

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

9. The Following User Groans At Jarod For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-22-2020)

10. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Who or what would be seceding if Trump wins?
    He's a Californicator!

11. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    He's a Californicator!
    So he says. I don't believe anything a leftist says without verifiable evidence to prove it. Why would you?

12. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    For many people, the prospect of what might happen if Donald Trump wins a second term is too awful to contemplate. But, as we are witnessing with the coronavirus, not contemplating scenarios that have at least some chance of happening is a grave mistake. Indeed, it’s a mistake that helped elect Trump in the first place.

Ideally, the press corps would be hard at work exploring this question. Alas, it is not. In the thousands of presidential campaign stories that have been published this year, you will be hard pressed to find much reporting or informed speculation about what policies Trump might pursue if he’s reelected, or what the consequences might be if he were successful in enacting them. That’s not because such things aren’t knowable in advance. If that were the problem, political reporters wouldn’t have spent the last six months gaming out which candidates were, say, likely to win which primaries. The real reason campaign journalists don’t do this kind of work is that it’s not what they’re trained to do—and, perhaps, it’s not what most people want to read.

We think our readers are different. So we gathered a distinguished group of area experts and beat reporters. We told them to imagine that, come November of 2020, Trump wins the Electoral College and the balance of power in Congress remains unchanged; Republicans hold the Senate and Democrats hold the House. Then, we asked them to think through the hitherto unthinkable: What will Trump aim to do, and what could he realistically get away with, if given another four years in power? —The Editors

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazi...if-trump-wins/

I will support secession if Trump* supposedly wins. I won't live under a cult of morons who worship a criminal. It will be like the Jewish people fleeing Nazi Germany.
    Who gives a fuck what you support, nutbar? You belong in a state mental hospital, you fucking mental microbe.

13. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    False, California’s economy is bigger than Spain and France combined.
    You're such a lying turd and so easy to refute!

California no longer pays more to Washington than it gets back, study finds

Ten years ago, then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was complaining that California received only 78 cents back for every tax dollar it sent to Washington, arguing that the state’s budget woes would disappear if the federal government would only play fair with funding.

It’s too late for Schwarzenegger, but a new study found that California has moved off the list of donor states and now takes in almost exactly as much in federal payments as its businesses and residents pay in taxes.

While that’s great news for California, it’s not nearly so upbeat a statistic for the country as a whole, said Alan Auerbach, director of the Burch Center for Tax Policy and Public Finance at UC Berkeley.

“The federal deficit has been going up every year, with the government spending more than it is taking in,” he said. “As they say at the carnival, ‘Everyone is a winner.’”

The new study by the Rockefeller Institute of Government in New York found that in the 2017-18 fiscal year, there were only eight so-called donor states, which paid the government more than they received. That was down from a dozen states in 2015, including California, and 17 states in a 2007 study by the independent Tax Foundation.

“The federal balance of payments is growing, sparking more money for the states,” said Laura Schultz, senior economist for the Rockefeller Institute and co-author of the new report. “As that money gets spent, there are fewer states with negative balances.”

The money that comes to Californians from the federal government includes retirement checks, like Social Security and veterans benefits, as well as Medicare and food assistance. California also receives billions in federal grants for Medi-Cal and other health programs, and money for transportation, education and housing.

Federal contracts with California companies are also included in the final figure, as are wages and benefits for federal workers and the military, according to a 2017 report by the state Legislative Analyst’s Office.

Some of those numbers have been rising steadily, said Auerbach of UC Berkeley.

Former President Barack Obama’s “Medicaid expansion and the Affordable Care Act allowed California to expand health care, and virtually all that money has come from the federal government,” he said. Also, “there are a lot of new defense contracts and other increases in spending.”

The latest figures also show that while President Trump has threatened to slash federal funds from California for its sanctuary policies on undocumented immigrants and its tougher-than-Washington’s environmental rules, the state’s federal contract numbers keep getting bigger.

“California’s greatest increase (in 2018) was in the number of contracts, which account for much of the growth in federal payments,” said Schultz of the Rockefeller Institute. “They rose from $54 billion in 2015 to $72 billion in 2018.”

Those rising figures have little to do with any action California has taken.

When he took office in 2003, Schwarzenegger proclaimed himself “the Collectinator,” pledging to get more money from the federal government. He quickly discovered that plenty of those federal dollars are baked into formulas the state can’t adjust.

Two of the states that get the most federal money, for example, are Virginia and Maryland, thanks largely to the huge number of federal workers and government facilities in the suburbs surrounding Washington, D.C.

And California’s population is one of the youngest in the nation, with about 14% of its residents 65 or older. By contrast, more than a fifth of Florida’s residents are of retirement age, guaranteeing a river rather than a stream of Social Security money.

While California officials still might complain that other states get a higher percentage of federal money, no one is willing to change places with states like Kentucky, Alabama, West Virginia and Mississippi. Each of those low-income states gets better than $2 in federal payments for every dollar of taxes.

“Poor states pay less taxes and have a lot of sick people,” Auerbach said. “It’s pretty clear why Mississippi is a recipient state.”

But California might not have much time to revel in its comfortable spot on the federal pay line. Both Schultz and Auerbach warned that next year’s survey could be bad news for the state.

Rockefeller’s new chart “only captures about one month of the 2017 tax changes,” Schultz said. “We won’t see the full effects ... until next year.”

Although the tax package pushed through by a Republican Congress and signed by Trump trimmed people’s IRS bills across the nation, California and other high-wealth states like New York and New Jersey face special problems.

When the federal government capped the deductibility of state and local taxes and mortgage interest, “California suffered a lot,” Auerbach said. Relative to low-tax states like Texas, “California will be paying higher taxes.”

When the tax changes are factored in, Auerbach said, the donor state numbers “are absolutely not going to stay the same.”

John Wildermuth is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: jwildermuth@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @jfwildermuth

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...n-15243861.php

14. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    You're such a lying turd and so easy to refute!

California no longer pays more to Washington than it gets back, study finds

Ten years ago, then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was complaining that California received only 78 cents back for every tax dollar it sent to Washington, arguing that the state’s budget woes would disappear if the federal government would only play fair with funding.

It’s too late for Schwarzenegger, but a new study found that California has moved off the list of donor states and now takes in almost exactly as much in federal payments as its businesses and residents pay in taxes.

While that’s great news for California, it’s not nearly so upbeat a statistic for the country as a whole, said Alan Auerbach, director of the Burch Center for Tax Policy and Public Finance at UC Berkeley.

“The federal deficit has been going up every year, with the government spending more than it is taking in,” he said. “As they say at the carnival, ‘Everyone is a winner.’”

The new study by the Rockefeller Institute of Government in New York found that in the 2017-18 fiscal year, there were only eight so-called donor states, which paid the government more than they received. That was down from a dozen states in 2015, including California, and 17 states in a 2007 study by the independent Tax Foundation.

“The federal balance of payments is growing, sparking more money for the states,” said Laura Schultz, senior economist for the Rockefeller Institute and co-author of the new report. “As that money gets spent, there are fewer states with negative balances.”

The money that comes to Californians from the federal government includes retirement checks, like Social Security and veterans benefits, as well as Medicare and food assistance. California also receives billions in federal grants for Medi-Cal and other health programs, and money for transportation, education and housing.

Federal contracts with California companies are also included in the final figure, as are wages and benefits for federal workers and the military, according to a 2017 report by the state Legislative Analyst’s Office.

Some of those numbers have been rising steadily, said Auerbach of UC Berkeley.

Former President Barack Obama’s “Medicaid expansion and the Affordable Care Act allowed California to expand health care, and virtually all that money has come from the federal government,” he said. Also, “there are a lot of new defense contracts and other increases in spending.”

The latest figures also show that while President Trump has threatened to slash federal funds from California for its sanctuary policies on undocumented immigrants and its tougher-than-Washington’s environmental rules, the state’s federal contract numbers keep getting bigger.

“California’s greatest increase (in 2018) was in the number of contracts, which account for much of the growth in federal payments,” said Schultz of the Rockefeller Institute. “They rose from $54 billion in 2015 to $72 billion in 2018.”

Those rising figures have little to do with any action California has taken.

When he took office in 2003, Schwarzenegger proclaimed himself “the Collectinator,” pledging to get more money from the federal government. He quickly discovered that plenty of those federal dollars are baked into formulas the state can’t adjust.

Two of the states that get the most federal money, for example, are Virginia and Maryland, thanks largely to the huge number of federal workers and government facilities in the suburbs surrounding Washington, D.C.

And California’s population is one of the youngest in the nation, with about 14% of its residents 65 or older. By contrast, more than a fifth of Florida’s residents are of retirement age, guaranteeing a river rather than a stream of Social Security money.

While California officials still might complain that other states get a higher percentage of federal money, no one is willing to change places with states like Kentucky, Alabama, West Virginia and Mississippi. Each of those low-income states gets better than $2 in federal payments for every dollar of taxes.

“Poor states pay less taxes and have a lot of sick people,” Auerbach said. “It’s pretty clear why Mississippi is a recipient state.”

But California might not have much time to revel in its comfortable spot on the federal pay line. Both Schultz and Auerbach warned that next year’s survey could be bad news for the state.

Rockefeller’s new chart “only captures about one month of the 2017 tax changes,” Schultz said. “We won’t see the full effects ... until next year.”

Although the tax package pushed through by a Republican Congress and signed by Trump trimmed people’s IRS bills across the nation, California and other high-wealth states like New York and New Jersey face special problems.

When the federal government capped the deductibility of state and local taxes and mortgage interest, “California suffered a lot,” Auerbach said. Relative to low-tax states like Texas, “California will be paying higher taxes.”

When the tax changes are factored in, Auerbach said, the donor state numbers “are absolutely not going to stay the same.”

John Wildermuth is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: jwildermuth@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @jfwildermuth

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...n-15243861.php
    Good post, Tom.

15. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

It could happen. I'll bring the popcorn.

16. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Keep investigating... I’m sure you will find something to make you feel whole!
    You mean like I made your wife feel. Hey, did you ever pay for her cancer treatments you cheap bastard?