Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: da Russians next door

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Vladivostok doesn't freeze over in winter. That's Murmansk and Arklangelsk.
    i see conflicting info. Some sites say it's ice-free because of industries, and a nuke plant ( discharge) and ice-breakers
    Others say it's "historically ice " but because of recent rising temps is not now.

I'd have to look further and see what the actual Russian naval capabilities are, as well as freighters

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    I finally had a chance to talk a bit more with my new neighbor coming home from the pool last night.

Some how we got on Russia, and he told me he was born there "in the east" -i asked "Vladivostok?"
    and he was amazed an American knew that city.

I told him I had been studying up on geopolitics, since the Crimean annexation - and we both agreed the prime reason was to secure Sevastopol (Poroshenko threatened the lease).
    He started on about Khrushchev - but i reminded him we still constantly negotiated during the Cold War

Then we talked about the Sino-Russian 'alliance' as being forced by the western sanctions

Both of us agreed Putin would much rather be a part of the west, then this uneasy alliance with China-
    he said China is a danger to Russia long term

I asked him what he thought about Mueller and Trump being a Russian asset
    "Is bullshit" -he replied in his Russian asset.

He's a US citizen voting for Trump,his wife also and the other Russians across the street.
    My Mexican neighbors are all doing the same - so hopefully these good immigrants will counter some of the dumb ass white SJW in the area
    So, to sum it up, both you and all your neighbors are fucking idiots and compulsive liars.

You could have saved yourself a LOT of typing.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

In general I find most Americans woefully ignorant on Russia -aside from the usual Russian boogeymen

I look at maps - geography/cartography is a good way to understand geopolitics.
    Do Americans do much in the way of geopolitical analysis?
    It is unfortunate that any formal education Americans receive in "European history" generally never wanders east of the Oder and Danube rivers.

I assume that any educated American might have at least run across the name "Vladivostock" - even if they cannot place it in a geographic context - given the historic, strategic, and military significance of the city.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

dukkha (09-20-2020)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It is unfortunate that any formal education Americans receive in "European history" generally never wanders east of the Oder and Danube rivers.

I assume that any educated American might have at least run across the name "Vladivostock" - even if they cannot place it in a geographic context - given the historic, strategic, and military significance of the city.
    For some reason Russian history (unlike so called European history) is just not covered until university,
    and then it's a specific course.

I think it's because of the historic animus from USSR days -just my hunch

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boris the animal Bot View Post
    I finally had a chance to talk a bit more with my new neighbor coming home from the pool last night.

Some how we got on Russia, and he told me he was born there "in the east" -i asked "Vladivostok?"
    and he was amazed an American knew that city.

I told him I had been studying up on geopolitics, since the Crimean annexation - and we both agreed the prime reason was to secure Sevastopol (Poroshenko threatened the lease).
    He started on about Khrushchev - but i reminded him we still constantly negotiated during the Cold War

Then we talked about the Sino-Russian 'alliance' as being forced by the western sanctions

Both of us agreed Putin would much rather be a part of the west, then this uneasy alliance with China-
    he said China is a danger to Russia long term

I asked him what he thought about Mueller and Trump being a Russian asset
    "Is bullshit" -he replied in his Russian asset.

He's a US citizen voting for Trump,his wife also and the other Russians across the street.
    My Mexican neighbors are all doing the same - so hopefully these good immigrants will counter some of the dumb ass white SJW in the area
    Sounds like a familiar story................

If it is true, or imaginary, what does one Russians opinion matter?? Proves what?? Only reason it would be repeated is because it fits entrenched opinions & bias, nothing more..

The "unequal treaties" isn't going away. Russia, like the other great powers took advantage of china, or so they believe, & they are going to get that territory back one way or another.......

Whatever they believe to be their greatest extent is what they believe should be theirs..... Imagine if Turkey, Iran, Egypt etc etc etc did this??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    well the interesting thing is his view match mine on geopolitics and "Mueller is bullshit"
    Of course since I am a Russian asset...
    So what??

If I know 10 Russians that believe just the opposite, so what??

Odd that you would take the time & effort to defend all of it when there is essentially no need...... I guess just reflex or spasm??

After the election it won't matter squat, well for 50 years or so when the truth actually comes out...........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

For some reason Russian history (unlike so called European history) is just not covered until university,

It is not just Russia.

Pretty much anything east of the Oder and Danube rivers are ignored in any class which purports to cover European history.

I chalk it up to a general bias towards Northwest Europe based on our Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Norman heritage.

Historically important eastern nation-states and empires are largely ignored: the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Kievan Rus, Byzantine Empire, kingdoms and empires of the Balkans.

I actually think we mostly ignore history and developments on the Iberian Peninsula, and central Europe as well.. I doubt most Americans could even articulate what the Holy Roman Empire was, or say anything intelligent about Iberian history.

We usually keep a rather provincial focus on Northwestern Europe.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In general I find most Americans woefully ignorant on Russia -aside from the usual Russian boogeymen

I look at maps - geography/cartography is a good way to understand geopolitics.
    Do Americans do much in the way of geopolitical analysis?
    In some of your free time, take a walk back in time & ask how did this become Russian territory......

Then take a walk into the future & ask how will this remain so given the shrinking populations in your country & the teaming masses to the south yearning to reclaim much of Siberia..............

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

IMHO the animus predated the USSR....