Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Democrats Will Need 4 Republican Senators To Block Nomination. It's Possible.

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,258 Times in 51,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

You know Obama and Democrats tried to include Republicans in writing the health care law, but all Republicans did was play along, waste time, and load it down with bloat. Then none of them signed it bcause, really, they never intended to.

If Democrats tried to include Republicans and get them to agree one what the bill would say, nothing would be done.

If the USA waited for a bipartisan bill, nothing would be done.

The only way to get a health care reform law was for Democrats to go it alone, which they should have done from the start, sorry to say.

Republicans were so obsessed with blocking any successes for Democrats they prevented any bipartisan law.
    Dude, you and I both know you've never cut the Republicans any slack. It's like listening to David Duke talk about "white heritage" and "saving Christianity".

Yes, the Republicans are complete nutjobs as party. What you and I disagree about is the state of the Democratic party. Where you see saints, I see clowns.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Dude, you and I both know you've never cut the Republicans any slack. It's like listening to David Duke talk about "white heritage" and "saving Christianity".

Yes, the Republicans are complete nutjobs as party. What you and I disagree about is the state of the Democratic party. Where you see saints, I see clowns.
    We all know that most of Congress is in the grip of big money no matter what party. If you tried to get Democrats in the US House to even consider the American Anti-Corruption Act they would fight it tooth and nail. Simply because the bankrollers they are beholden to would be against it.

Both parties suffer from big power influence; but the Republicans also suffer from a lack of moral character.

The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Republicans put party over country.

Democrats are more dedicated to country. With Democrats, it's country first, party second. You can't say that about Trump Republicans.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

We all know that most of Congress is in the grip of big money no matter what party. If you tried to get Democrats in the US House to even consider the American Anti-Corruption Act they would fight it tooth and nail. Simply because the bankrollers they are beholden to would be against it.

Both parties suffer from big power influence; but the Republicans also suffer from a lack of moral character.

The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Republicans put party over country.

Democrats are more dedicated to country. With Democrats, it's country first, party second. You can't say that about Trump Republicans.
    Pretty broad brush........

I think they are corrupted to the gills... Money needs out is the only solution. Problem is the recipients of that money make the laws so short of another revolution->

I think there are some decent ppl in both parties & no party........ American politic is a winnowing process & non-conformist don't get money or support-you play-they pay..

trump, Lord forbid/bite my tongue was the lone exception, @ least in the modern era & we'll see how that turns out...

There are ppl here, in the gop I believe sincerely think their supporting trump is doing what is best for the country, not just trump....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Agreed, money/greed is a problem.

Most Republicans put party over country. Those that didn't were hamstrung by the Neo-Cons and survivors were excommunicated by Trump in the 2018 midterms.

Saying "more" is both relative and mathematical since there's only the percentage of Republicans putting country first is in the low single digits. Saying "more" can mean anything from a higher single digit number or barely into the double digits.

I strongly disagree with your claim "With Democrats, it's country first, party second." Pelosi only kept her Speaker position by playing party politics, especially with the newbies regarding the Trump impeachment. The impeachment was a waste of time and a distraction just as the COVID pandemic was beginning. Pelosi knew the impeachment was a loser but she had to play the game in order to keep her seat. She okayed the impeachment when she could have resigned out of principle.

Instead, Speaker Pelosi put party over country by supporting something she knew was wrong for the nation because it would do nothing but spend money, waste time and become a risky and unnecessary distraction in an election year.

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 3,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    I don’t worry much about either, personally lol.

But if I were a Democrat my worry would be losing other Democrats over the non-threat of Non-Existent Antifa and the mostly peaceful BLM. Most of the violence and mayhem has occurred in democrat precincts and involved democrat businesses and properties.

When BLM does their cute little traffic stop ‘protests’ in heavily democrat precincts—those vehicles are filled mostly with democrats. And these democrats have family, who knows how many social media contacts etc.

If Biden loses in November you can point the finger at Antifa and BLM.
    On a side note, you must not be doing good enough if PoliTalker still hasn't put you on his ignore list... He put me on it long ago for my proclivity for creating parallel "open discussion" threads to threads that blocked conservative voices. That really busted his chaps...

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,562 Times in 2,065 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 91 Times in 87 Posts

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    On a side note, you must not be doing good enough if PoliTalker still hasn't put you on his ignore list... He put me on it long ago for my proclivity for creating parallel "open discussion" threads to threads that blocked conservative voices. That really busted his chaps...
    Wrong guess, INT/IBDa/gfm. He's probably just like normal people who are tired of your bullshit lies and delusional fantasies. No doubt he's skimmed over your wackadoodle manifesto too.

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

How is this shaping up:

Senate Republicans hold 53 Senate seats to Democrats 47. They would need 4 Republicans to cross the isle.

Seems unlikely, but there may be hope. This could get interesting.

Lots of Republican Senators are facing difficult elections where they need to appease the middle to get reelected.

4 is a possibility. Actually 7 is a possibility: Colorado, Maine, Alaska, Utah, North Carolina, and Arizona are all possible to cross the line. Some of these people face difficult decisions which could affect their own chances of reelection

Some Republican Senators are in States where Biden is leading in the polls, setting up a coat-tails effect which threatens their chances at retaining their seats.

Republican Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado:

"Four years ago, Gardner said that a Supreme Court vacancy in February 2016 should not be filled by President Barack Obama because the Democrat was in his final year as president: “I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision,” Gardner said then."

In first appearance after Ginsburg’s death, Gardner declines to say when justice should be replaced

Gardner faces ex Governor John Hickenlooper, who is popular there. Biden is strongly favored in Colorado polling. Biden +10 over Trump.

Republican Senator Martha McSally of Arizona

McSally faces Democrat Mark Kelly, astronaut and husband of Rep Gabby Giffords who was the victim of a well publicized mass shooting attack.

Kelly leads McSally by +6.7

Biden also leads in Arizona: Biden +5.0 (rcp average)

Republican Senator Susan Collins of Maine
    is trailing Democrat Sara Gideon by a strong margin: Gideon +6.2

Biden leads Trump heavily in Maine: Biden +13.8

Republican Senator Thom Tillis of North Carolina is also trailing in the polls.

rcp average currently shows Democrat Cal Cunningham favored: Cunningham +3.6

Biden is favored in NC by a slim margin of +0.9, a race where Tillis does not want to alienate the middle.

Republican Senators Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Mitt Romney of Utah have rarely bought into Trump's cult. Either or both of them could vote against even bringing a nomination to the floor.
    Oh, first of all, I see I counted wrong in the OP. '7' should be '6'. The following are from recent news reports:

Oppose rushed confirmation:

Lisa Murkowski of Alaska

Susan Collins of Maine

Favor rushed confirmation:

Martha McSally of Arizona

Cory Gardner of Colorado

Thom Tillis of North Carolina

That's 5 out of 6, the only one still undecided out of the list of assumed possibles is Mitt Romney of Utah.

But even if he opposed a rushed confirmation, that would only make 3 Republicans crossing the isle, and that's not enough.

That would result in a 50-50 tie vote in the Senate.

Vice President Mike Pence could then make the tie-breaking vote to confirm.

So it appears, unless some unexpected mystery Republican Senator puts a block on this (yeah, right,) the rushed confirmation will go through.

And that will create a conservative majority on the SCOTUS just as they are possibly hearing whether or not to throw out Obamacare, and preexisting conditions.

Note the COVID-19 could be considered a preexisting condition.

Republicans seem to be on a trajectory to strongly and negatively impact the plight of low income Americans.

Also, the PPACA which could be thrown out, capped the big insurance companies at 20% cost, meaning 80% of whatever they collect in premiums had to be put toward paying claims. If Obamacare is thrown out, insurance companies will no longer be held to that 20% figure, and will be free to add on whatever they can get away with.

But, of course, if Biden wins and the Democrats take the Senate, they will be able to create new health care legislation to replace Obamacare.

Very interesting political situation.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The Party of God smells blood in the water. Trump could appoint the next Supreme by Executive Order, and it would be all good with Republicans.
    The Party of Cancel is panicking. ANTIFA and BLM could torch the entire country and it would be all good with Democrats.

Of course it would not be all good with Americans which is why Trump will be reelected with more than 300 electoral votes.

Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

10. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So it appears, unless some unexpected mystery Republican Senator puts a block on this (yeah, right,) the rushed confirmation will go through.
    And that will create a conservative majority on the SCOTUS just as they are possibly hearing whether or not to throw out Obamacare, and preexisting conditions.
    Note the COVID-19 could be considered a preexisting condition. Republicans seem to be on a trajectory to strongly and negatively impact the plight of low income Americans.
    Also, the PPACA which could be thrown out, capped the big insurance companies at 20% cost, meaning 80% of whatever they collect in premiums had to be put toward paying claims. If Obamacare is thrown out, insurance companies will no longer be held to that 20% figure, and will be free to add on whatever they can get away with. But, of course, if Biden wins and the Democrats take the Senate, they will be able to create new health care legislation to replace Obamacare.
    Your phony fear-mongering pretext is dismissed.
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

11. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Is this similar to what we were talking about earlier??

Chris Matthews Faces Backlash for Tweeting Trump ‘Was Right to Show Respect’ to Bader Ginsburg
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

12. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBDaMann View Post
    The Party of Cancel is panicking. ANTIFA and BLM could torch the entire country and it would be all good with Democrats.

Of course it would not be all good with Americans which is why Trump will be reelected with more than 300 electoral votes.
    Put down the Bong Pipe.

13. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Put down the Bong Pipe.
    You think that will somehow help the Democrats start to make smart decisions? You don't think it's already too late for the Democrats to salvage what they've done? Let's review how we got here:

The DNC once again barred their best prospect, Bernie Sanders, from the nomination so that they could instead run a candidate so unimpressive and so disliked s/he needs to have event attendees bussed in.
    The DNC turned to open violence, intimidation and thuggery across the country ... without having thought it through ... and now are afraid to adopt the needed platform to win because that will anger the thugs.
    The DNC needed to counter Trump's job creation and unprecedented low unemployment ... and got AOC to cancel Amazon creating jobs in New York.
    The DNC have openly advocated stealing the election through massive voter fraud perpetrated via mail-in voting ... believing that Americans want political parties doing that.
    The DNC has its gullible moron votors not only regurgitating fake polls that have Biden leading ... but requires them to totally believe them.

The DNC is with whom you need to speak about not passing around the crack pipe.

14. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBDaMann View Post
    You think that will somehow help the Democrats start to make smart decisions? You don't think it's already too late for the Democrats to salvage what they've done? Let's review how we got here:

The DNC once again barred their best prospect, Bernie Sanders, from the nomination so that they could instead run a candidate so unimpressive and so disliked s/he needs to have event attendees bussed in.
    The DNC turned to open violence, intimidation and thuggery across the country ... without having thought it through ... and now are afraid to adopt the needed platform to win because that will anger the thugs.
    The DNC needed to counter Trump's job creation and unprecedented low unemployment ... and got AOC to cancel Amazon creating jobs in New York.
    The DNC have openly advocated stealing the election through massive voter fraud perpetrated via mail-in voting ... believing that Americans want political parties doing that.
    The DNC has its gullible moron votors not only regurgitating fake polls that have Biden leading ... but requires them to totally believe them.

The DNC is with whom you need to speak about not passing around the crack pipe.
    Mann: "The DNC once again barred their best prospect, Bernie Sanders, from the nomination so that they could instead run a candidate so unimpressive and so disliked s/he needs to have event attendees bussed in."
    Jack: Trump is an incompetent President. Picking 'Grandpa Biden', soft and fuzzy, religious, will pick off ex-Trump supporters that are disgusted with Trump and his constant lies.

Mann: "The DNC turned to open violence, intimidation and thuggery across the country ... without having thought it through ... and now are afraid to adopt the needed platform to win because that will anger the thugs."
    Jack: Pretty sure it's NOT the 'DNC' out on the streets committing acts of violence. (Not really a 'Vote-Getter')

Mann: "The DNC needed to counter Trump's job creation and unprecedented low unemployment ... and got AOC to cancel Amazon creating jobs in New York."
    Jack: Sounds like a Local Issue. Like, there's already TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE in Brooklyn.

Mann: "The DNC have openly advocated stealing the election through massive voter fraud perpetrated via mail-in voting ... believing that Americans want political parties doing that."
    Jack: HA! There's a Pandemic. People prefer 'Mail-In Voting' (especially Old People) rather than stand in line with lots of Other People. Trump installs a Major Donor as Postmaster ... who immediately begins removing 'Sorting Machines' and 'Corner Mailboxes'. So ... who's trying to cause Chaos and Disrupt the Election?

Mann: "The DNC has its gullible moron votors not only regurgitating fake polls that have Biden leading ... but requires them to totally believe them."
    Jack: The ONLY Poll that counts is on Nov. 3rd.

15. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Mann: "The DNC once again barred their best prospect, Bernie Sanders, from the nomination so that they could instead run a candidate so unimpressive and so disliked s/he needs to have event attendees bussed in."
    Jack: Trump is an incompetent President. Picking 'Grandpa Biden', soft and fuzzy, religious, will pick off ex-Trump supporters that are disgusted with Trump and his constant lies.

Mann: "The DNC turned to open violence, intimidation and thuggery across the country ... without having thought it through ... and now are afraid to adopt the needed platform to win because that will anger the thugs."
    Jack: Pretty sure it's NOT the 'DNC' out on the streets committing acts of violence. (Not really a 'Vote-Getter')

Mann: "The DNC needed to counter Trump's job creation and unprecedented low unemployment ... and got AOC to cancel Amazon creating jobs in New York."
    Jack: Sounds like a Local Issue. Like, there's already TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE in Brooklyn.

Mann: "The DNC have openly advocated stealing the election through massive voter fraud perpetrated via mail-in voting ... believing that Americans want political parties doing that."
    Jack: HA! There's a Pandemic. People prefer 'Mail-In Voting' (especially Old People) rather than stand in line with lots of Other People. Trump installs a Major Donor as Postmaster ... who immediately begins removing 'Sorting Machines' and 'Corner Mailboxes'. So ... who's trying to cause Chaos and Disrupt the Election?

Mann: "The DNC has its gullible moron votors not only regurgitating fake polls that have Biden leading ... but requires them to totally believe them."
    Jack: The ONLY Poll that counts is on Nov. 3rd.
    It may as well be.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see