Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Democrats Will Need 4 Republican Senators To Block Nomination. It's Possible.

1. #196 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,860 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Then obviously you believe the Republicans should appoint and vote on the confirmation of a new justice before January so they do not repeat the same mistake and do Trump dirty like they did Obama.

I think you are reading things into the Constitution that are not there.
    PoliTalker is a moron with no constitutional literacy...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

Earl (09-24-2020)

3. #197 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

I disagree. It is not important enough issue to amend the Constitution. Let the president and Senate make the decision about whether to replace a vacancy in an election year.

In the early days of the republic President Adams tried to fill the judiciary with Federalists after being defeated by Jefferson resulting in the Marbury v. Madison decision giving the court the power of judicial review.

Democrats can try to enlarge the size of the court. FDR tried and it didn't work out so well, but politics is very different today.
    If not amended, the size of the SCOTUS is subject to continual expansion as each side tries to gain advantage. It would become absurd and lose respect.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #198 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,762 Times in 4,511 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Flash,

If not amended, the size of the SCOTUS is subject to continual expansion as each side tries to gain advantage. It would become absurd and lose respect.
    It has worked fine since 1789 and has not always been nine. I think the "continued expansion" possibility will deter the parties from trying to expand. It takes time away from their legislative agenda.

I thought you meant we needed an amendment about SC appointments in an election year.

I think you are being overly optimistic about getting Republican votes against confirmation. I remember you thought there was a possibility of getting Republican votes for conviction. I've noticed posters seem optimistic about the chances for their side about winning elections, removing a president.....

5. #199 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

It has worked fine since 1789 and has not always been nine. I think the "continued expansion" possibility will deter the parties from trying to expand. It takes time away from their legislative agenda.

I thought you meant we needed an amendment about SC appointments in an election year.

I think you are being overly optimistic about getting Republican votes against confirmation. I remember you thought there was a possibility of getting Republican votes for conviction. I've noticed posters seem optimistic about the chances for their side about winning elections, removing a president.....
    The confirmation is going to go through. I already updated the reporting with a post in this thread. Not enough scruples in the Republican Senate. That will affect the election, no doubt. Senate could flip.

I made no predictions. Merely said these things were possible. I left it open for Republicans, but they let us down every time.

Lack of moral fiber in the Republican Senate is the reason for failure.

The voters are paying attention.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #200 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

The confirmation is going to go through. I already updated the reporting with a post in this thread. Not enough scruples in the Republican Senate. That will affect the election, no doubt. Senate could flip.

I made no predictions. Merely said these things were possible. I left it open for Republicans, but they let us down every time.

Lack of moral fiber in the Republican Senate is the reason for failure.

The voters are paying attention.
    How do you think it will affect the election? It seems it will make Republicans happy and Democrats unhappy which reinforces their previous voting choice. I don't think it has anything to do with scruples or moral fiber of Republicans since they favor getting another conservative on the court just like Democrats wanted another Obama appointment in 2016.

7. #201 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

How do you think it will affect the election? It seems it will make Republicans happy and Democrats unhappy which reinforces their previous voting choice. I don't think it has anything to do with scruples or moral fiber of Republicans since they favor getting another conservative on the court just like Democrats wanted another Obama appointment in 2016.
    The problem Trump has is that many of the type of people who might support him are low information. They don't really pay attention to the news. He has already motivated just about all the people he can with his type of messaging. He has little hope of turning supporters out in greater numbers, nor expanding his base. The people that the SCOTUS matters to are already planning to vote.

Biden has lots of room to turn out more potential voters. They will be even more motivated than they already are when they learn that Roe and Obamacare are on the line. The best motivator for Biden voters is Trump. Trump's problem is he is that he can motivate lots of potential voters, but they are more likely to vote against him.

8. #202 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

The problem Trump has is that many of the type of people who might support him are low information. They don't really pay attention to the news. He has already motivated just about all the people he can with his type of messaging. He has little hope of turning supporters out in greater numbers, nor expanding his base. The people that the SCOTUS matters to are already planning to vote.

Biden has lots of room to turn out more potential voters. They will be even more motivated than they already are when they learn that Roe and Obamacare are on the line. The best motivator for Biden voters is Trump. Trump's problem is he is that he can motivate lots of potential voters, but they are more likely to vote against him.
    I agree with several of your comments. But many Democratic voters are also low information because they include those with the lowest level of education. I don't think Trump can motivate a larger group to support him; but, 50% of the whites without a college degree (strong Trump supporters) did not vote in 2016. He may have a shot at increasing those.

Biden's problem is turnout. Like Hillary, he has a negative approval score and does not excite many voters. Black voters who would loyally vote Democratic if they voted failed to turn out in 2016 the way they did in 2012.

I don't think telling low information voters that Roe is in danger is going to motivate many of them. After all, it doesn't prohibit abortion but only returns the decision to the states where a majority of people could legally get abortions before Roe. And, there is little chance Roe would be reversed. That is what people said about Kavanaugh and Gorsuch.

The 7.8 million third party voters in 2016 could make a big difference. In 2016 the third party vote was higher than Trump's margin of victory in five states. Republicans are working to get Kanye on the ballot in some states.

9. #203 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    ... with Moscow Mitch replacing a Progressive SC Justice with a Religious Conservative one, I can't blame them.
    We'll see how it plays out............

We already have the country very divided- hasn't been this divided since prob the civil war or freedom marches in the early 60's, & to top it off a wannabe president no sure if he will leave if he loses & riots in the streets.....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

10. #204 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    That it was "right" of Trump to pay respects to Ginsburg? Of course. It's the decent thing to do. If any other President had done it no one would have said a thing because it's the right thing to do. Trump rarely does the right thing. That's why it's a surprise when he does.
    Yes, he rarely does
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

11. #205 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Bernie would've handed Wisconsin over to the Dems EASILY... Bernie is LOVED in the uber liberal urban areas of Wisconsin (especially in Madison). Madison voter turnout would've been INSANE if Bernie would've been the nominee, to the point where the rest of the State likely wouldn't be able to counteract it.

But never fear, the left chose dimwit Biden as their nominee, and he is nowhere near as well received here as Bernie is, so the left just handed Wisconsin over to Trump again, despite what the fake polls are saying.
    I guess they figured biden would be a better compromise fit..

I don't recall anyone here pumped up about Biden~nor do I hear anyone now either............

I thought Bernie would have been a real asset on the tix but there would have been an endless drumbeat of commie..........

I guess when hillary or whoever in the dnc said enough, all the rest just bowed out for Biden, every dems fourth choice..........

12. #206 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I would love to see current versions of these maps. I bet ours is quite different this year.
    It is pretty impressive, especially Brazil & China..

Would like to see Japan, s Korea & Taiwan as well............... Singapore??

13. #207 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

I agree with several of your comments. But many Democratic voters are also low information because they include those with the lowest level of education.
    That's the biggest problem with American politics. Most voters on both sides are actually low information.

I don't think Trump can motivate a larger group to support him; but, 50% of the whites without a college degree (strong Trump supporters) did not vote in 2016. He may have a shot at increasing those.

Biden's problem is turnout. Like Hillary, he has a negative approval score and does not excite many voters. Black voters who would loyally vote Democratic if they voted failed to turn out in 2016 the way they did in 2012.
    Biden doesn't have to turn voters out to vote for him. Trump will do it for him. Trump will turn out more voters to vote against Trump than for.

Biden sure turned 'em out in the South Carolina primary. He was building slow until then but caught fire. That's when people realized: "OK. He's the one to beat Trump!" People were already motivated against Trump, ready to vote for any functioning adult. That was the moment it came together. It is true there is little excitement about Biden. The excitement is in realizing that Biden is a viable way to get rid of Trump.

I don't think telling low information voters that Roe is in danger is going to motivate many of them. After all, it doesn't prohibit abortion but only returns the decision to the states where a majority of people could legally get abortions before Roe. And, there is little chance Roe would be reversed. That is what people said about Kavanaugh and Gorsuch.
    Roe doesn't motivate low information voters but it does turn out the activists. What will motivate low information Democratic voters is losing Obamacare. Losing preexisting conditions will also motivate voters. Obamacare polls at over 50% now. People don't want to have that taken away. And few believe it it is that health insurance premiums are going to drop. Big insurance will pocket any savings (if any.)

The 7.8 million third party voters in 2016 could make a big difference. In 2016 the third party vote was higher than Trump's margin of victory in five states. Republicans are working to get Kanye on the ballot in some states.
    I doubt the Kayne gambit will make much difference. Few think he has a chance. Most know it is a thrown away vote. And he could backfire and pull some Trump voters away, too.

14. #208 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

That's the biggest problem with American politics. Most voters on both sides are actually low information.
    Yes, I guess that old axiom that voters must be informed and active in order for democracy to survive is not necessary, after all.

Biden doesn't have to turn voters out to vote for him. Trump will do it for him. Trump will turn out more voters to vote against Trump than for.
    Agreed. But that was also true in 2016. Most of them are Democrats who are already going to vote for their party's candidate. I'm not sure there are any more anti-Trump voters this year than 2016. My state has 2 million more registered voters than 2016 and I'm sure many of those are anti-Trump but there are also many younger pro-Trump white working class voters who were previously apolitical and unregistered.

Roe doesn't motivate low information voters but it does turn out the activists. What will motivate low information Democratic voters is losing Obamacare. Losing preexisting conditions will also motivate voters. Obamacare polls at over 50% now. People don't want to have that taken away. And few believe it it is that health insurance premiums are going to drop. Big insurance will pocket any savings (if any.)
    Activists are already motivated to vote. If losing Obamacare motivates low information voters to support Biden that is probably already reflected in the polls. I'm not sure low information voters are aware of the court cases dealing with Obamacare.

Trump issued an executive order to preserve preexisting conditions but I question its validity.

I doubt the Kayne gambit will make much difference. Few think he has a chance. Most know it is a thrown away vote. And he could backfire and pull some Trump voters away, too.
    Sure, Kayne is not going to get any votes, but Republicans are also fighting to get the Green Party on the ballot. In 2016 the number of third party votes in 5 key states was more than the difference between Trump-Clinton. Of course, people's assumptions of whether those third party voters would have supported Trump or Clinton are usually not based on reality.

15. #209 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Yes, I guess that old axiom that voters must be informed and active in order for democracy to survive is not necessary, after all.
    Surviving and thriving are two different things.

Agreed. But that was also true in 2016.
    No, not as much. In 2016 the low information Trump voters only impression of him was from 'The Apprentice' TV show. Now they have a real sense of how Trump behaves in real life. It is distasteful to many of them. Many have rejected Trump. Poorly informed people who voted for him in 2016 have changed their minds after they saw what they voted for.

Most of them are Democrats who are already going to vote for their party's candidate. I'm not sure there are any more anti-Trump voters this year than 2016. My state has 2 million more registered voters than 2016 and I'm sure many of those are anti-Trump but there are also many younger pro-Trump white working class voters who were previously apolitical and unregistered.

Activists are already motivated to vote. If losing Obamacare motivates low information voters to support Biden that is probably already reflected in the polls. I'm not sure low information voters are aware of the court cases dealing with Obamacare.

Trump issued an executive order to preserve preexisting conditions but I question its validity.
    That's a trick. EO's are only good as long as the president wants them to be. It can be reversed the moment he doesn't need the voters he was appealing to with it.

Sure, Kayne is not going to get any votes, but Republicans are also fighting to get the Green Party on the ballot. In 2016 the number of third party votes in 5 key states was more than the difference between Trump-Clinton. Of course, people's assumptions of whether those third party voters would have supported Trump or Clinton are usually not based on reality.
    Ordinarily, third party platforms can siphon off some votes. But the problem for that is that this year the motivation is not issue-based, but to prevent Trump.

16. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-24-2020)

17. #210 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    PoliTalker is a moron with no constitutional literacy...
    Indeed and an un-American who cheered the economic loss for millions of Americans and their families caused by the virus from China that

China failed to contain.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

gfm7175 (09-24-2020)