Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: California Has Always Had Fires, Environmental Alarmism Makes Them Worse Than

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    77,997
    Thanks
    1,940
    Thanked 10,492 Times in 6,882 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 438 Times in 407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default California Has Always Had Fires, Environmental Alarmism Makes Them Worse Than

    An article by somebody who believes that mankind contributes to global warming...

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#6a74e8b63712

    California Has Always Had Fires, Environmental Alarmism Makes Them Worse Than Necessary

    I woke up an hour later than normal yesterday morning because smoke from northern California’s forest fires had blotted out the sun. My bedroom windows glowed orange. It looked like a scene out of the 1983 made-for-TV movie, “The Day After,” about nuclear war.

    I wasn’t the only one creeped out by the apocalyptic hue. “'A Nuclear Winter' Over Bay Area, as Wildfires Blot Out the Sun,” read a New York Times NYT. “Without the smoke, it would be a clear day,” noted a scientist. “This is all generated from the fires.”

    The same mechanism that caused the orange sky is what could destroy agriculture in the wake of a thermonuclear war: particulate matter from burned wood blocking parts of the light spectrum from reaching the ground.

    -------

    And while the 2 million acres that have burned in California so far in 2020 is 10 times more area than burned in 2019, it’s still 2 million acres less than the lowest estimate for acres burned within modern state borders annually before Europeans settled in America. (underline is mine)

    “California was a very smoky place historically,” says Malcolm North of the US Forest Survey.“Even though we’re seeing area burned that is off-the-charts, it’s still probably less than what used to be burned before Europeans arrived.”

    Many reporters note that more area has burned this year in California than at any other point in “the modern period,” but that period began in 1950. For the last half of the 20th Century, the annual area burned in California was just 250,000 acres a year, whereas the best-available science suggests 4.4 and 12 million acres burned in California annually before the arrival of Europeans.

    More at link...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

    Bigdog (09-19-2020), dukkha (09-19-2020), ExpressLane (09-19-2020), Sailor (09-19-2020), Stretch (09-19-2020)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    13,860
    Thanks
    1,650
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 3,686 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 284 Times in 269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Fires are a natural part of the ecosystem there.
    Building homes where fire is GOING to happen is as foolish as building on barrier islands
    Its not if, its when.
    ERIC CIARAMELLA whose name may not be spoken

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

    Bigdog (09-19-2020), ExpressLane (09-19-2020), Sailor (09-19-2020)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    59,793
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    An article by somebody who believes that mankind contributes to global warming...

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#6a74e8b63712

    California Has Always Had Fires, Environmental Alarmism Makes Them Worse Than Necessary

    I woke up an hour later than normal yesterday morning because smoke from northern California’s forest fires had blotted out the sun. My bedroom windows glowed orange. It looked like a scene out of the 1983 made-for-TV movie, “The Day After,” about nuclear war.

    I wasn’t the only one creeped out by the apocalyptic hue. “'A Nuclear Winter' Over Bay Area, as Wildfires Blot Out the Sun,” read a New York Times NYT. “Without the smoke, it would be a clear day,” noted a scientist. “This is all generated from the fires.”

    The same mechanism that caused the orange sky is what could destroy agriculture in the wake of a thermonuclear war: particulate matter from burned wood blocking parts of the light spectrum from reaching the ground.

    -------

    And while the 2 million acres that have burned in California so far in 2020 is 10 times more area than burned in 2019, it’s still 2 million acres less than the lowest estimate for acres burned within modern state borders annually before Europeans settled in America. (underline is mine)

    “California was a very smoky place historically,” says Malcolm North of the US Forest Survey.“Even though we’re seeing area burned that is off-the-charts, it’s still probably less than what used to be burned before Europeans arrived.”

    Many reporters note that more area has burned this year in California than at any other point in “the modern period,” but that period began in 1950. For the last half of the 20th Century, the annual area burned in California was just 250,000 acres a year, whereas the best-available science suggests 4.4 and 12 million acres burned in California annually before the arrival of Europeans.

    More at link...
    Hey, I posted that last week! No fair!

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3,697
    Thanks
    3,208
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,626 Posts
    Groans
    195
    Groaned 42 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Humans encroach on fire prone area and whine when they get burned out.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

    Bigdog (09-19-2020)

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    59,793
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Humans encroach on fire prone area and whine when they get burned out.
    Exactly. They also build on beaches and get bailed out by the taxpayers/other people who pay insurance premiums when a storm surge takes out their home/business. Same with flood plains.

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    4,197
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 567 Times in 525 Posts

    Default

    You don't think it's time to get even a bit alarmed about the environment?

    What would it take, exactly?

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3,697
    Thanks
    3,208
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,626 Posts
    Groans
    195
    Groaned 42 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    You don't think it's time to get even a bit alarmed about the environment?

    What would it take, exactly?
    When has the climate not changed?

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

    Bigdog (09-19-2020), Earl (09-20-2020), Grajonca (09-20-2020), Stretch (09-19-2020)

  12. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    4,197
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 567 Times in 525 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    When has the climate not changed?
    Is that the question we need to be asking?

    When have humans lost access to so much clean water & air? When have we lost so much habitat? When has the oceanic food supply been on such a brink? When have we been close to having as much plastic in the ocean as fish?

    And that's just a couple hundred years into the industrial revolution.

    The real question: when are we going to wake up?

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

    martin (09-20-2020)

  14. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4,145
    Thanks
    2,948
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,659 Posts
    Groans
    683
    Groaned 585 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    An article by somebody who believes that mankind contributes to global warming...

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#6a74e8b63712

    California Has Always Had Fires, Environmental Alarmism Makes Them Worse Than Necessary

    I woke up an hour later than normal yesterday morning because smoke from northern California’s forest fires had blotted out the sun. My bedroom windows glowed orange. It looked like a scene out of the 1983 made-for-TV movie, “The Day After,” about nuclear war.

    I wasn’t the only one creeped out by the apocalyptic hue. “'A Nuclear Winter' Over Bay Area, as Wildfires Blot Out the Sun,” read a New York Times NYT. “Without the smoke, it would be a clear day,” noted a scientist. “This is all generated from the fires.”

    The same mechanism that caused the orange sky is what could destroy agriculture in the wake of a thermonuclear war: particulate matter from burned wood blocking parts of the light spectrum from reaching the ground.

    -------

    And while the 2 million acres that have burned in California so far in 2020 is 10 times more area than burned in 2019, it’s still 2 million acres less than the lowest estimate for acres burned within modern state borders annually before Europeans settled in America. (underline is mine)

    “California was a very smoky place historically,” says Malcolm North of the US Forest Survey.“Even though we’re seeing area burned that is off-the-charts, it’s still probably less than what used to be burned before Europeans arrived.”

    Many reporters note that more area has burned this year in California than at any other point in “the modern period,” but that period began in 1950. For the last half of the 20th Century, the annual area burned in California was just 250,000 acres a year, whereas the best-available science suggests 4.4 and 12 million acres burned in California annually before the arrival of Europeans.

    More at link...
    Pfft, they had some but they are getting so much worse and encompassing areas all over the western states due to unruly temps. Even when it rains anymore you have fire danger because of lightning. Fire is a natural part and balance to the world but things aren't balanced and these aspects in the unbalance have aggressive side effects. We've had terrible fires in the past that taught us preventative means but those means no longer do much when a stray ember can become a disaster. Being from Colorado you'd think you'd be better versed due to their brunt of the fires. While climate change has had some fruity alarmist fears it's still real and getting to a point where we will never be able to do enough for balance to return. Years ago you didn't have such abundance of fires out west that places like where I live in Michigan is getting soot in the air from them. Climate change denialists just show themselves to be babies that don't want to be less spoiled to help the world.

  15. The Following User Groans At Crocodile For This Awful Post:

    Grajonca (09-20-2020)

  16. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    20,420
    Thanks
    17,660
    Thanked 10,715 Times in 7,346 Posts
    Groans
    390
    Groaned 389 Times in 366 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Is that the question we need to be asking?

    When have humans lost access to so much clean water & air? When have we lost so much habitat? When has the oceanic food supply been on such a brink? When have we been close to having as much plastic in the ocean as fish?

    And that's just a couple hundred years into the industrial revolution.

    The real question: when are we going to wake up?
    The U.S. woke up when NIXON created the EPA by E.O. (because the Dem congress was obstructing).

    China is the big culprit. But if you can't blame Whitey, then who cares, right?
    I condemn the National Socialist German Workers Party, the Socialist Democrat Hate Whitey Party,... and Socialist Workers party heroes, Mao, Chavez, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Stalin, Castro and Kim Jung Un.

    Liberal Racist code: Orange is the New White

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdog For This Post:

    Earl (09-20-2020)

  18. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,026
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Groans
    116
    Groaned 155 Times in 145 Posts

    Default

    For years California had inmates doing brush clearance with police and firefighters present ....

    STUPID liberals stopped that !

    The prisoners like being able to get out of their 4 walls and would sign up for this .

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loving91390 For This Post:

    Earl (09-20-2020), Sailor (09-19-2020)

  20. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    29,792
    Thanks
    10,505
    Thanked 18,261 Times in 12,609 Posts
    Groans
    23
    Groaned 442 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Pfft, they had some but they are getting so much worse and encompassing areas all over the western states due to unruly temps. Even when it rains anymore you have fire danger because of lightning. Fire is a natural part and balance to the world but things aren't balanced and these aspects in the unbalance have aggressive side effects. We've had terrible fires in the past that taught us preventative means but those means no longer do much when a stray ember can become a disaster. Being from Colorado you'd think you'd be better versed due to their brunt of the fires. While climate change has had some fruity alarmist fears it's still real and getting to a point where we will never be able to do enough for balance to return. Years ago you didn't have such abundance of fires out west that places like where I live in Michigan is getting soot in the air from them. Climate change denialists just show themselves to be babies that don't want to be less spoiled to help the world.
    I can see that article went right over your pointing little head. No surprise there.
    Consider the Oyster.

    C-4 is just angry playdoh.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor For This Post:

    Grajonca (09-20-2020)

  22. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    88,263
    Thanks
    41,766
    Thanked 27,384 Times in 20,880 Posts
    Groans
    33,792
    Groaned 3,996 Times in 3,806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    An article by somebody who believes that mankind contributes to global warming...

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#6a74e8b63712

    California Has Always Had Fires, Environmental Alarmism Makes Them Worse Than Necessary

    I woke up an hour later than normal yesterday morning because smoke from northern California’s forest fires had blotted out the sun. My bedroom windows glowed orange. It looked like a scene out of the 1983 made-for-TV movie, “The Day After,” about nuclear war.

    I wasn’t the only one creeped out by the apocalyptic hue. “'A Nuclear Winter' Over Bay Area, as Wildfires Blot Out the Sun,” read a New York Times NYT. “Without the smoke, it would be a clear day,” noted a scientist. “This is all generated from the fires.”

    The same mechanism that caused the orange sky is what could destroy agriculture in the wake of a thermonuclear war: particulate matter from burned wood blocking parts of the light spectrum from reaching the ground.

    -------

    And while the 2 million acres that have burned in California so far in 2020 is 10 times more area than burned in 2019, it’s still 2 million acres less than the lowest estimate for acres burned within modern state borders annually before Europeans settled in America. (underline is mine)

    “California was a very smoky place historically,” says Malcolm North of the US Forest Survey.“Even though we’re seeing area burned that is off-the-charts, it’s still probably less than what used to be burned before Europeans arrived.”

    Many reporters note that more area has burned this year in California than at any other point in “the modern period,” but that period began in 1950. For the last half of the 20th Century, the annual area burned in California was just 250,000 acres a year, whereas the best-available science suggests 4.4 and 12 million acres burned in California annually before the arrival of Europeans.

    More at link...
    I posted that already but no matter. This is a paper from the prestigious American Meteorological Society.


    A “potential connection” between anthropogenic global warming and the frequency or intensity of wildfires in California has yet to emerge in the trend observations.

    Scientists have found a “lack of correlation between late summer/autumn wildfires” and “summer precipitation or temperature” in coastal California. In fact, “there is no long-term trend in the number of fires over coastal California” in the last 50 years (Mass and Ovens, 2019).

    https://journals.ametsoc.org/bams/ar...of-8-9-October
    Last edited by Grajonca; 09-20-2020 at 04:55 AM.
    .

    80,000 Americans died and 900,000 were hospitalised just two years ago from flu including the most virulent Type A version of H3N2, so why didn't you arseholes call for the total destruction of the world's economic system then? I hope you have plenty of time to ponder over that when you all lose your houses, jobs and relationships!

  23. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    88,263
    Thanks
    41,766
    Thanked 27,384 Times in 20,880 Posts
    Groans
    33,792
    Groaned 3,996 Times in 3,806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    You don't think it's time to get even a bit alarmed about the environment?

    What would it take, exactly?
    How about some real evidence, got any,?

    Official US Climate Data Reveals No Cause For Alarm

    A new paper published today by the Global Warming Policy Foundation shows that U.S. climate has been changing very gradually, and mostly in a benign way.

    https://www.thegwpf.org/official-us-...use-for-alarm/

    https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uplo...imate-2019.pdf
    .

    80,000 Americans died and 900,000 were hospitalised just two years ago from flu including the most virulent Type A version of H3N2, so why didn't you arseholes call for the total destruction of the world's economic system then? I hope you have plenty of time to ponder over that when you all lose your houses, jobs and relationships!

  24. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    88,263
    Thanks
    41,766
    Thanked 27,384 Times in 20,880 Posts
    Groans
    33,792
    Groaned 3,996 Times in 3,806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Pfft, they had some but they are getting so much worse and encompassing areas all over the western states due to unruly temps. Even when it rains anymore you have fire danger because of lightning. Fire is a natural part and balance to the world but things aren't balanced and these aspects in the unbalance have aggressive side effects. We've had terrible fires in the past that taught us preventative means but those means no longer do much when a stray ember can become a disaster. Being from Colorado you'd think you'd be better versed due to their brunt of the fires. While climate change has had some fruity alarmist fears it's still real and getting to a point where we will never be able to do enough for balance to return. Years ago you didn't have such abundance of fires out west that places like where I live in Michigan is getting soot in the air from them. Climate change denialists just show themselves to be babies that don't want to be less spoiled to help the world.
    See post 13, chunky monkey!
    .

    80,000 Americans died and 900,000 were hospitalised just two years ago from flu including the most virulent Type A version of H3N2, so why didn't you arseholes call for the total destruction of the world's economic system then? I hope you have plenty of time to ponder over that when you all lose your houses, jobs and relationships!

Similar Threads

  1. California fires rip through nuclear dump.
    By moon in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-19-2018, 02:28 AM
  2. Southern California Fires and Micabwer
    By Sailor in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-17-2018, 04:40 AM
  3. APP - It isn't climate change causing the fires in California
    By Teflon Don in forum Above Plain Politics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2018, 02:32 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-26-2017, 09:40 AM
  5. California Fires...!
    By Battleborne in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 01:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •