Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Paying $9 million To a Football Coach Really a Good Use of Taxpayer Money?

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,995 Times in 8,260 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Nick Saban’s salary is about $240K. His total compensation is $9m. Alabama tax payers are not paying Nick Saban $9m.
    His compensation by the taxpayers is $9 million or so. He is also free to get money from other sources, but that is not counted as his compensation by taxpayers.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Trump donates his compensation.
    trump donates his salary. he does not donate the other money he makes.

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    What other money do you claim the President is getting?
    Past presidents had books. trump gets his main compensation from the trump organization. he claims he reviews the books of the trump organization to see which foreigners are paying him. That is called foreign emoluments.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    trump donates his salary. he does not donate the other money he makes.

Past presidents had books. trump gets his main compensation from the trump organization. he claims he reviews the books of the trump organization to see which foreigners are paying him. That is called foreign emoluments.
    Yet you haven't stated what other money he gets.

How much do you claim Trump makes from the Trump organization? To say he does means you'd know how much.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

His compensation by the taxpayers is $9 million or so. He is also free to get money from other sources, but that is not counted as his compensation by taxpayers.
    That’s false but clearly you’re sticking to it. I’ll admit intrigue as to why you are sticking with this false position. Is it an ideological thing of some sort?

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    You are obviously a lot more concerned than I am since you've made declarations without backing them up with facts.

It's up to each state as I've repeatedly posted before:
    I’ll throw this out there if it helps. The states don’t determine what Universities can pay their coaches. Universities pay their coaches out of revenue earned. The source of that revenue includes TV contracts, money from Nike (or other shoe deals), ticket sales and private donors (along with coaches hosting camps and having radio & TV shows).

So since Nick Saban is the subject his salary is $240K. The remainder of his $9m compensation comes from the revenue sources listed above. If you’re a college football fan go listen to some of Saban’s press conferences where he essentially tells the big money donors who help pay his compensation to back the Fvxk up and leave him alone. He said I win games but you’re not getting more access to me (which is what the big money donors usually get because they help fund the program.)
    Last edited by cawacko; 09-18-2020 at 08:55 PM.

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    So since Nick Saban is the subject his salary is $240K.
    No, you are incorrect.

Alabama football coach Nick Saban set to make $8.3 million this season under new contract
    Steve Berkowitz
    USA TODAY

Alabama football coach Nick Saban will be paid $8.3 million for this season, the university announced Friday.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban
    Saban's new compensation amount will move him past Ohio State's Urban Meyer and likely again make him the nation's highest-paid college sports coach and public employee.

Meyer is set to make $7.6 million for the 2018 season under a deal that Ohio State's governing board approved in April. Michigan's Jim Harbaugh is making $7.5 million this season.

Texas A&M and its new coach, Jimbo Fisher, have agreed on a 10-year deal worth $75 million, according to an announcement in December by A&M. But the contract has not been released, so Fisher’s pay for this season is not yet publicly known.

Kentucky men's basketball coach John Calipari is scheduled to make $7.95 million for his 2018-19 contract year.

This is the third time in as many years that Alabama has reworked Saban's contract, and this latest version comes on the heels of a season in the Crimson Tide won their fifth national championship in nine seasons.

In 2017, Alabama gave Saban a deal that included a $4 million signing bonus and $400,000 contract-year completion payment that put his total compensation for the season at a little more than $11.1 million - not including team-performance incentives.

The deal announced Friday would raise Saban's basic annual compensation from the school to $7.5 million, from $6.725 million. It also would provide what the school termed a "contract extension/championship signing incentive" of $800,000 in place of a $400,000 contract-year completion payment. (The new agreement is subject to approval by the Alabama board of trustees' compensation committee.)

More:Coaches' salary database

So, the net outcome is that Saban is set to make $1.175 million more this season than he had been scheduled to make.

Get the Sports newsletter in your inbox.
    Sports news, no matter the season. Stop by for the scores, stay for the stories.

Delivery: Daily
    Your Email
    For the 2019 season, Saban will be scheduled to make $8.7 million - $7.9 million in basic annual compensation that will continue increasing by $400,000 annually, plus an $800,000 contract-year completion payment.

Saban also is set to receive $800,000 contract-year completion payments for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Under his prior terms, his basic pay from the school was set to remain at $6.725 million annually, and he was to receive contract-year completion payments of $800,000 for the 2019 and 2020 seasons, and a $3.6 million contract-year completion payment for the 2021 season.

Overall, Saban had been set to make $32.5 million for the 2018 through 2021 seasons. Now, he's set to make $35.6 million for those four seasons.

Over the final four seasons of the new agreement, Saban would make a combined total of $38.8 million.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...aid/852534002/

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Is Paying $9 million To a Football Coach Really a Good Use of Taxpayer Money?
    No. Especially if that coach's name is Harbaugh.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The reason for this is that college sports are a huge revenue generator. These coaches get paid to pack the stadiums not produce good college graduates...
    I wonder how much of the sunk costs that lead to the revenue generation that the public are footing the bill for?
    Shouldn't the public share in the profit?
    >Disclaimer: I hate sportsball

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Ever look at a list of the highest paid state employee in each state? Well in 40 of them the highest paid state employee is a football or basketball coach. The other ten states have deans of medical schools making $250k, but the states with coaches making the biggest amount of money are paying millions, even over $9 million. Many times they are paying to multiple coaches, just one is making the most. In a case 6 cases, the coach had such a good deal that he continued to be the highest paid, even though he is a former coach.

Now I can understand spending taxpayer money on a professor to teach engineering. I can even understand spending taxpayer money on a athletics program that is open to any student who just wants to be healthier. I certainly support a private team spending whatever they want on a coach in sports meant to entertain us. But why should taxpayers be forced to pay for sports entertainment?

https://fanbuzz.com/national/highest...ate-employees/
    Don't they get paid with tuition fees and money from the football games?

A head coach is very important, because a good football team brings in millions of dollars to the school.
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,554 Times in 17,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Most football programs do not make money. https://college.lovetoknow.com/campu...all-make-money Universities spend bigly on scoreboards and other upgrades. They support the other university sport activities.

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, you are incorrect.
    You are right, that is my bad. In 2017 his base salary was $245K not $240K.

"Saban’s base salary is $245,000. This season he gets nearly $10.9 million in other compensation."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...son/794275001/

As stated, I'm not sure what your angle is here. Either you don't understand the various components of Saban's salary and incorrectly think it's coming from the state's general fund or there's something ideological here thus the need to continually misrepresent it.

12. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Don't they get paid with tuition fees and money from the football games?
    A public university is a company setup by the state. The students pay tuition, the professors get paid, and the state makes up whatever shortfall. So lets say a poetry professor has a billion dollar salary, but the tuition is only a thousand dollars, the state has to pay nearly a billion dollars. If those numbers are reversed, then the state will actually make a profit.

I can understand why the state is involved with the business of education. Even if it is a money loser in the immediate sense, it is well worth it for the overall economy.

But what is the social good of football? It is enjoyable to watch, but so are many things. Should the state next make sitcoms?

13. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Most football programs do not make money. https://college.lovetoknow.com/campu...all-make-money Universities spend bigly on scoreboards and other upgrades. They support the other university sport activities.
    They really do not want to believe the facts, and nothing will change their minds.

14. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,414 Times in 16,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

But what is the social good of football? It is enjoyable to watch, but so are many things. Should the state next make sitcoms?
    You're not a sport fan....we get that....But did you really just ask "But what is the social good of football"?
    You're not a soccer mom either?

15. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    You're not a sport fan....we get that....But did you really just ask "But what is the social good of football"? You're not a soccer mom either?
    I enjoy watching sports. I enjoy watching science fiction. I do not see the point in government providing science fiction. I do not see the social good in entertainment, or at least not a public good universal enough to warrant government takeover.

Now little league soccer or football does have a public good. It helps raise children to be healthier, and with better character. That I do see a public good in, and I am not a soccer mom.