Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Paying $9 million To a Football Coach Really a Good Use of Taxpayer Money?

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    What you are missing are the cracks in your own logic; it's a public college. A public college is subsidized by taxpayers. Sure, the college generates revenue itself just like the DMV generates it's own revenue by charging fees for drivers licenses but don't tell me any public employees aren't benefiting from taxpayer dollars.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/public-employee/
    Public Employee Law and Legal Definition
    A public employee is a person who is employed by a government agency and includes the employees of a municipal, county, state, or federal agency or state college or university.
    I’m not missing cracks. For starters the major money for these salaries comes from private donors and outside sources, shoe company contracts being the major one. Those are private dollars.

Regarding revenue generated by the programs it’s not like there are two choices, the additional money goes to Nick Saban or the State of Alabama general fund. Money generated by the school goes to the school, it’s not a cost to the taxpayers.

People can argue college coaches shouldn’t earn what they do but it’s not taxpayers paying these salaries.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (09-18-2020)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No worries, Sailor. Even though I agree that college sports generate a lot of revenue, I think states should keep a close eye on that stuff. $6M is a lot of money, even in Pennsylvania.
    How does a state keep an eye on what coaches make? Can they regulate what private donors are willing to give to their University to pay for coaches?

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,327 Times in 52,381 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I’m not missing cracks. For starters the major money for these salaries comes from private donors and outside sources, shoe company contracts being the major one. Those are private dollars.

Regarding revenue generated by the programs it’s not like there are two choices, the additional money goes to Nick Saban or the State of Alabama general fund. Money generated by the school goes to the school, it’s not a cost to the taxpayers.

People can argue college coaches shouldn’t earn what they do but it’s not taxpayers paying these salaries.
    Disagreed for the following reason.

Giving money to panhandlers doesn't help them; they'll just spend the money for booze or cigarettes. Once they are given then money, the giver has no control over it. Better, IMO, to give money to a shelter where it's clear the money is going for food and shelter. It's the same with public institutions like a State University; they are given money from taxpayers, but the taxpayers may not have control over the spending depending on the State's choices.

You are arguing that all are okay and I'm only saying it seems high, but it's up to each state. You seem to favor national "rights" for Universities spending taxpayer money and I'm advocating States' Rights in allowing each state's citizens to choose.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Disagreed for the following reason.

Giving money to panhandlers doesn't help them; they'll just spend the money for booze or cigarettes. Once they are given then money, the giver has no control over it. Better, IMO, to give money to a shelter where it's clear the money is going for food and shelter. It's the same with public institutions like a State University; they are given money from taxpayers, but the taxpayers may not have control over the spending depending on the State's choices.

You are arguing that all are okay and I'm only saying it seems high, but it's up to each state. You seem to favor national "rights" for Universities spending taxpayer money and I'm advocating States' Rights in allowing each state's citizens to choose.
    I’m not saying anything about whether the salaries are too high or not. They are dictated by market forces and ultimately large amounts of private money pays the salaries. If you think states should cap what private citizens can donate to the their University’s athletic program that is your right but not something I support

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I’m not saying anything about whether the salaries are too high or not. They are dictated by market forces and ultimately large amounts of private money pays the salaries. If you think states should cap what private citizens can donate to the their University’s athletic program that is your right but not something I support
    It's up to the states to blow tax money however they like. My only concern is when they fuck up and go crawling to Uncle Sam for more money to blow on bullshit.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's up to the states to blow tax money however they like. My only concern is when they fuck up and go crawling to Uncle Sam for more money to blow on bullshit.
    The states are paying a bare minimum of these salaries so if that’s your concern you can rest easy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

CFM (09-18-2020)

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,310 Times in 8,474 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

The states are paying a bare minimum of these salaries so if that’s your concern you can rest easy.
    You do not seem to understand how salaries work. If they included all sources of income, then the highest paid government official would always be some politician with a huge other source of income.

Or put another way, if a coach is listed as getting $9 million in public money, he is probably getting a few million, in addition, in private money. The same goes for a dean of a medical school, who might get $250k from the state, and an additional few million from drug research he has done.

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    You do not seem to understand how salaries work. If they included all sources of income, then the highest paid government official would always be some politician with a huge other source of income.

Or put another way, if a coach is listed as getting $9 million in public money, he is probably getting a few million, in addition, in private money. The same goes for a dean of a medical school, who might get $250k from the state, and an additional few million from drug research he has done.
    No dude, you’re not understanding how this works. His “salary” isn’t $9 million. That’s his total compensation (even though it gets referred to as his salary). His actually salary is like $240K. So your premise that tax payers are paying Saban $9m is false and not even close to accurate.

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are obviously a lot more concerned than I am since you've made declarations without backing them up with facts.

It's up to each state as I've repeatedly posted before:
    Agreed. It's a marketing strategy for the state. As a state taxpayer I'd want to make sure competent oversight of the spending justified the cost.
    It's not "the government" which, on an international forum indicates the US government. It's the Liberal-leaning state of Pennsylvania. Although I'd want a closer look at the books IF I was a Pennsylvanian taxpayer, since I'm not, they probably don't give a shit about my opinion.
    WTF does enjoying football have to do with seeing a college coach paid $5.7M from tax dollars? Football is great, but a $5.7M should be scrutinized by state oversight committees.

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are obviously a lot more concerned than I am since you've made declarations without backing them up with facts.

It's up to each state as I've repeatedly posted before:
    I’m not sure what I’m not backing up. That taxpayers don’t pay the sticker salary amount coaches make?

Nick Saban’s actual salary is like $240K. You think Alabama’s state congress and Governor should have to approve that? (Edit: since tone can be difficult to determine at times on boards like this I’m not asking the question in a dick tone, I’m just asking the question.)
    Last edited by cawacko; 09-18-2020 at 08:19 PM.

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No dude, you’re not understanding how this works. His “salary” isn’t $9 million. That’s his total compensation (even though it gets referred to as his salary). His actually salary is like $240K. So your premise that tax payers are paying Saban $9m is false and not even close to accurate.
    It is his government compensation. trump's government compensation is $400k, not the rest of the money he gets.

14. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is his government compensation. trump's government compensation is $400k, not the rest of the money he gets.
    The subject of the this thread, which you started, asks if $9m compensation for Saban is good use of taxpayer money. Now you acknowledge his compensation from the taxpayers is only $240K. I guess the Trump comment was a diversion to acknowledge your inaccurate thread title.

15. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Now you acknowledge his compensation from the taxpayers is only $240K.
    You are openly delusional. I have said exactly the opposite. If you cannot deal with reality, it is pointless for me to debate with you.

16. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Trump donates his compensation.

What other money do you claim the President is getting?

17. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are openly delusional. I have said exactly the opposite. If you cannot deal with reality, it is pointless for me to debate with you.
    You are of course free not to talk to me but you continue to espouse false and incorrect information ITT starting with your subject line. Nick Saban’s salary is about $240K. His total compensation is $9m. Alabama tax payers are not paying Nick Saban $9m.