Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Paying $9 million To a Football Coach Really a Good Use of Taxpayer Money?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    LOL, yeah, because no one before today has ever said college kids should get paid.
    I also made the prediction. And you will be on the other side of it, enjoying your sports and things will be more just.

I didn't invent sliced bread, I just predicted you'd be eating it. Why you won't now I can't say.

But that's why we fight this stuff out and I predict the future is mine and kicks the past's ass, as always.

College sports that generate tons of moolah and support all the other sports and pay stooopid yuge salaries, the talent will be paid all across the country in 10 years.
    The sport will still be great and the money will go where it should. Maybe like 100K per yr

Let me know why you disagree. Or is it an atavistic reflex when anyone says "change?"
    Last edited by Micawber; 09-18-2020 at 02:45 PM.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,818 Times in 17,255 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,595 Times in 4,273 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The reason for this is that college sports are a huge revenue generator. These coaches get paid to pack the stadiums not produce good college graduates...
    So pro sports for the university and coach only? The players who "play" and produce the money should get nothing? Some get injuries that screw up the rest of their lives. Tough shit.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

What? You're all over the place man. Taxpayers are not paying these salaries that you claim they are.
    Correct. Once again Walt just shows he knows nothing about anything. And look who is agreeing with him. Micabwer. The other fucking idiot.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I also made the prediction. And you will be on the other side of it, enjoying your sports and things will be more just.

I didn't invent sliced bread, I just predicted you'd be eating it. Why you won't now I can't say.

But that's why we fight this stuff out and I predict the future is mine and kicks the past's ass, as always.

College sports that generate tons of moolah and support all the other sports and pay stooopid yuge salaries, the talent will be paid all across the country in 10 years.
    The sport will still be great and the money will go where it should. Maybe like 100K per yr

Let me know why you disagree. Or is it an atavistic reflex when anyone says "change?"
    You want to be on the right side of history? Feel free to join the folks working to buy out Clay Helton's salary and pay Urban Meyer to be our next coach and return USC to it's rightful place at the top of the college football mountain top. Contributing to that is a legacy anyone can be proud of.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,415 Times in 52,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

The taxpayers don't pay the salary (or very little of it).
    Are you calling ESPN liars? The OP link is based on their study....as anyone who read it would know.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...edirected=true
    Who's the most powerful person in your state? Well, based on public employee salaries, it's likely a college coach (sorry, governors). A whopping 28 college football coaches are the best-paid employees in their states, along with 12 college hoops coaches who top the state payrolls. Check out the map below to find your state's top-earning public official, plus the governor's salary.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Are you calling ESPN liars? The OP link is based on their study....as anyone who read it would know.

Who's the most powerful person in your state? Well, based on public employee salaries, it's likely a college coach (sorry, governors). A whopping 28 college football coaches are the best-paid employees in their states, along with 12 college hoops coaches who top the state payrolls. Check out the map below to find your state's top-earning public official, plus the governor's salary.
    What you’re missing is who is paying. They may be the highest paid public employee but tax payers aren’t footing the bill.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That is saying that College coaches are the best paid employees in their states, not state employees. They are comparing coaches salaries to state employee salaries. I think you already know that and are just stirring the pot!

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    So pro sports for the university and coach only? The players who "play" and produce the money should get nothing? Some get injuries that screw up the rest of their lives. Tough shit.
    NO. THE PLAYERS SHOULD AND WILL BE PAID. STARS, WHOSE JERSEYs GENERATE MORE $$, WILL LIKELY GET MORE $$.

OTHER PLAYERS SHOULD BE COMPENSATED TO ,IMHO.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What you’re missing is who is paying. They may be the highest paid public employee but tax payers aren’t footing the bill.
    What you are missing are the cracks in your own logic; it's a public college. A public college is subsidized by taxpayers. Sure, the college generates revenue itself just like the DMV generates it's own revenue by charging fees for drivers licenses but don't tell me any public employees aren't benefiting from taxpayer dollars.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/public-employee/
    Public Employee Law and Legal Definition
    A public employee is a person who is employed by a government agency and includes the employees of a municipal, county, state, or federal agency or state college or university.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

christiefan915 (09-18-2020)

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    That is saying that College coaches are the best paid employees in their states, not state employees. They are comparing coaches salaries to state employee salaries. I think you already know that and are just stirring the pot!
    They are state employees. State employees who make more than governors. Look at California as an example. Coach Kelly is the highest paid public employee, but certainly not the highest paid employee compared to California's private sector's CEO's.

"Who's the most powerful person in your state? Well, based on public employee salaries, it's likely a college coach (sorry, governors). A whopping 28 college football coaches are the best-paid employees in their states, along with 12 college hoops coaches who top the state payrolls. Check out the map below to find your state's top-earning public official, plus the governor's salary."

CALIFORNIA
    Chip Kelly, UCLA football coach $3.5M

Gavin Newsom, governor $195.8K

FWIW, $200K in California is a pittance. No wonder Newsom needs the Governor's mansion to live....hopefully all of his kickbacks and payoffs help supplement his retirement.

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They are state employees. State employees who make more than governors. Look at California as an example. Coach Kelly is the highest paid public employee, but certainly not the highest paid employee compared to California's private sector's CEO's.

"Who's the most powerful person in your state? Well, based on public employee salaries, it's likely a college coach (sorry, governors). A whopping 28 college football coaches are the best-paid employees in their states, along with 12 college hoops coaches who top the state payrolls. Check out the map below to find your state's top-earning public official, plus the governor's salary."

CALIFORNIA
    Chip Kelly, UCLA football coach $3.5M

Gavin Newsom, governor $195.8K

FWIW, $200K in California is a pittance. No wonder Newsom needs the Governor's mansion to live....hopefully all of his kickbacks and payoffs help supplement his retirement.
    I will be damned. Sorry about that Dutch. You are right...again.!

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I will be damned. Sorry about that Dutch. You are right...again.!
    No worries, Sailor. Even though I agree that college sports generate a lot of revenue, I think states should keep a close eye on that stuff. $6M is a lot of money, even in Pennsylvania.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Sailor (09-19-2020)

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Pay players and forget the charade. Basically the college coaches recruit pros, are pro farm leagues and the money the coach gets
    for cutting corners and funneling money from shoe companies is sent in briefcases to family members of athletes aka is siphoned off the money the top NCAA athletes could make.

Scamola.....

Republicans won't get this. Too stupid.
    If all of what you say is happening, report them to the NCAA rather than whining like a bitch on this forum.

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

A quick look at the last 5 national champions in college football says a lot. LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama from 2019 - 2015. The head coaches at the time those teams won are the highest paid in their respective states. They put butts in the seats and that generates LOTS of money. Rest assured is they had losing records, they wouldn't be on the list and likely not employed at those schools.

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

You need to look at just how those coaches are paid.
    That money is not all from the school.
    And the presidents did all authorize it. Winning at football does actually bring in the students.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.