Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The obligations of a neighbor

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

When was the last time anybody had a car whose lights didn't automatically go on and off by themselves?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    When was the last time anybody had a car whose lights didn't automatically go on and off by themselves?
    There are a lot of 15-20 year olds still on the road that dont have that feature but even my wifes 09 jeep has an interior light that if you turn it on in a certain way will not turn off on its own, which was done on purpose in case someone wanted steady light with the vehicle turned off.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Until 2014 I had cars whose lights didn't turn off automatically. Lots of ppl do.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Do you have neighbors who are neighborly? Do you live in a neighborhood? This situation where I am is so depressing, people living near or next to each other who dont know each other, and seem to not want to. Just for reference I grew up expecting block parties once a year, where the ladies of a couple of blocks had a monthly coffee.

Part of the problem here is that we have a very high rental rate, something around 1/3.
    That could contribute to it some. Plus in middle-class urban areas, ppl just don't socialize with people outside of family, friends, and coworkers. Before moving up here to the Frozen North, I lived with Mr. Owl in an urban-suburban place. The population density there is 3,200 ppl per square mile (think small lots). Here, it is 3.3 ppl for square mile. But I digress.

When I moved there I was interested in who the neighbors were. The only person that Mr. Owl spoke to or knew the name of was one of the next-door neighbors. He only knew her name because her dog ran away and he helped her find him. He had no idea who lived in the other homes. It was such an alien concept to me. He went to work, came home, didn't talk to ppl. Yet he bought that home because he wanted to live closely packed with others. Isn't that odd?

Like you, I grew up in an area where ppl socialized. So I started talking to them, over the fence. Next door. Down the street. Turns out that they were just as interested in who lived by them as I was with them.

So I'd say, do more than just say hi. Talk to them. Share a bit about yourself. This is a lot easier for a woman to do than for a man. We're more social, for one thing. And ppl are more likely to trust a woman stranger over a man. Does your wife enjoy socializing? Maybe she could help break the ice.

Like I said, we now live in a sparsely-populated area. There are maybe 13 families on our two-mile road. We can't even see each other's houses. But we know each other's names and we know if one of us is in trouble, the others will be right there. Plus we have some fantastic bonfire get-togethers. Maybe the difference is here we know we might need help from our neighbors. In an urban area, ppl count on help from public safety ppl.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

That is why I backed way up. No seriously around here you dont know what kind of reaction that you will get knocking on a door....people are suspicious....quite a few have No Soliciting signs which some have told me dont mean dont knock if you are selling something, they mean dont knock at all unless you have been invited or are friends and family. Then too some barely speak english.
    Well, you can set the tone of what the Neighborhood should be like ... 'friendly'.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hiden View Post
    Is the person a leftist or a an American patriot?

If a leftist then fuck em. They deserve no quarter and no help. I wouldn’t piss on a leftist if she were on fire
    I would piss on them if I could piss gasoline.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    You're a pussy. That's my problem. You actually had to post a thread begging people to tell you to do the right thing? What the fuck is wrong with you?
    Chill out.

@OP:

The battery would probably be ok in the morning. A half hour on the highway will fully charge it.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

people generally dont know each other nor do they act like they want to. here is very little of kids playing outside together or even people being outside other than in their back yards (fenced) unless they have a dog to walk or a yard to mow.
    That's the new normal, isn't it?