Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 148

Thread: Calif is on fire again~the new normal-what needs to be done to prevent this??

  1. #106 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    13,360
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,427 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,625 Times in 1,497 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Oddly enough Disney bambi did play some role in that.........
    It is all about balance.

  2. #107 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    33,529
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked 14,414 Times in 10,047 Posts
    Groans
    4,079
    Groaned 3,291 Times in 3,057 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    What needs to be done is thinning and cleaning out the underbrush, but that would take a forest army. Instead we are going to let them continue to burn. What I do not know is what kind of quality we are going to have after the burns, these are very hot fires, even after say 30 years are they going to grow back in anything close to being a real forest on their own? There wont be any help, almost all of the maintenance budgets are gone now, plowed into firefighting, what little is left goes into fire prevention...preventive burns mostly.

    The forests of the West are a testament to the failure of the American political class to get the work done, they have long rather fuck around and play childish political games. This has very little to do with global warming though the left will claim otherwise forever because by doing so they both push their agenda and push away the blame they have earned for bad quality work.
    Federal govt owns 57 percent of Cali forest land. Trump better get busy and sweep the forest floors.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

    Phantasmal (09-13-2020)

  4. #108 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    30,670
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It is all about balance.
    Yes, but there are many conflicting problems........

    Ppl now build their 3rd homes out in the woods & we pay millions/billions to protect them from the natural consequences of doing so..

    The bears & Bambi can take care of themselves, these fools need help from fires & their own ignorance..

    It is unfortunate, but we will never win a war against mother nature~
    @ the 1:44 mark is a good explanation of dry thunderstorm
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."



  5. #109 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,200
    Thanks
    2,134
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,920 Posts
    Groans
    77
    Groaned 89 Times in 85 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    No need to ban gender reveal parties, or gender reveal party favors, but it would be a good idea to ban fireworks during excessively dry times. That goes for fireworks that are gender reveal fireworks.

    Gender reveal fireworks seem stupid, but in general it is the stupid that anyone should be allowed to do (like wearing sandals with socks). Fireworks over dry kindling is the type of stupid that should be restricted (like drunken driving).

    I honestly do not understand why any of this is controversial.
    I can agree with this. It appears thought out and not impulsive. As a volunteer fire fighter who loves his July 4th fireworks, I am understanding when during times of heavy drought our county has banned the shooting of fireworks. It has happened a few times in my life. We alternatively made some noise shooting the cannon more and firing off some shotguns.

    The last gender reveal party around here (I saw it on Facebook as I would never wear socks with sandals ) was like this... They put a good amount of the appropriate color powder in a balloon, put helium in it and released it. The dad shot it with a shotgun when it got to a safe height. Not a bad idea and worked well. Now if the dad was a poor shot ...

  6. #110 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,200
    Thanks
    2,134
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,920 Posts
    Groans
    77
    Groaned 89 Times in 85 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Federal govt owns 57 percent of Cali forest land. Trump better get busy and sweep the forest floors.
    If control burn were even an option at some point congress nuts would likely still block him at every attempt to see it carried out like they were blocking a coronavirus relief package because ... You know ... Trump bad. Or maybe because they’d be afraid of displacing some striped skink or something. Or both.

  7. #111 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    30,670
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    If control burn were even an option at some point congress nuts would likely still block him at every attempt to see it carried out like they were blocking a coronavirus relief package because ... You know ... Trump bad. Or maybe because they’d be afraid of displacing some striped skink or something. Or both.
    Control burns are carried out........

    They are about 30 years behind but mother nature is going to help out..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."



  8. #112 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    21,131
    Thanks
    1,308
    Thanked 5,816 Times in 4,738 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 232 Times in 221 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Federal govt owns 57 percent of Cali forest land. Trump better get busy and sweep the forest floors.
    Congress has for 20 years refused to deal with this situation, as the experts continue to come to them begging to change how the federal lands are run and funded, but Congress has turned them down cold. This problem is expensive to fix and not sexy, so it never makes the cut. Plus this involves actual work, and Congress has long been allergic to work.

    The first thing that need to happen is separating the fire fighting money from the management of the forests money, and making it impossible to raid management money to fund firefighting.
    BE BRAVE!

  9. #113 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    13,360
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,427 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,625 Times in 1,497 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    They put a good amount of the appropriate color powder in a balloon, put helium in it and released it. The dad shot it with a shotgun when it got to a safe height. Not a bad idea and worked well. Now if the dad was a poor shot ...
    Now if they did that in a densely populated city, or they balanced the balloon on the head of the pregnant woman, and then shot the balloon, I would be very opposed to that. You shoot the balloon safely high enough, it is no worse than skeet shooting, and very legal.

    Starting a fire with gender reveal fireworks over unusually dry plants is so stupid it might just be a crime. It is not a purposeful crime.

  10. #114 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,147
    Thanks
    263
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    117
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Control burns are carried out........

    They are about 30 years behind but mother nature is going to help out..
    Not in California .....

  11. #115 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    30,670
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Now if they did that in a densely populated city, or they balanced the balloon on the head of the pregnant woman, and then shot the balloon, I would be very opposed to that. You shoot the balloon safely high enough, it is no worse than skeet shooting, and very legal.

    Starting a fire with gender reveal fireworks over unusually dry plants is so stupid it might just be a crime. It is not a purposeful crime.
    They will be made an example of for sure......

    For the first time ever all the federal lands in Calif are closed because stupid assholes like them can't stay away.......

    I hope they throw the book @ them.....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."



  12. #116 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    30,670
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loving91390 View Post
    Not in California .....




    -----------------------------

    Caples Prescribed Fire
    Posted on June 28, 2019




    Caples Prescribed Fire on Sunday Continues Restoration Project

    Smoke will be visible from Highway 88 and Highway 50

    PLACERVILLE, Calif. – Firefighters on the Eldorado National Forest will burn 143 acres approximately four miles northwest of Kirkwood this Sunday if weather conditions allow. The two units to be burned are within an 8,800 acre multi-year prescribed fire project in the Caples Creek watershed. Depending on fuel consumption and other factors, it may take two days to successfully complete the burn operations. Visitors should not be alarmed by the smoke that will be visible from Highway 88 and Highway 50.

    “An incredible amount of work is needed before fire can be safely reintroduced into watersheds like this one,” said Forest Supervisor Laurence Crabtree. “This project involves constructing 25 miles of handline and a lot of thinning. Restoration partners make projects like this possible.”

    The upcoming prescribed fire is being accomplished through a partnership with the El Dorado Irrigation District (EID) and the Sierra Nevada Conservancy (SNC) with grant funding received by EID from SNC’s Watershed Improvement Program (Proposition 1). The Caples Creek watershed is rich in biological diversity and provides a vital community water supply for 110,000 people in EID’s service area.

    The area to be burned is on the northern ridge above Caples Creek near Buck Pasture and Hay Flat. Portions of Hay Flat Trail will be temporarily closed.

    Approximately 55 firefighters will conduct the upcoming prescribed fire using hand ignition within established control lines. Resources for the operation include 4 engines, 1 water tender, the Iron Mountain Handcrew (Crew 26), and the Eldorado Hotshots. The units being burned are part of a strategy for securing the ridge and the perimeter of the watershed to allow prescribed fire ignitions by helicopter in the future.

    Short term smoke is expected and may be present in the Lake Tahoe Basin, Carson City, or Reno with the prevailing southwest winds. Smoke may also occur in Kirkwood, Kyburz, Strawberry and Meyers due to the tendency for smoke to settle with cool air at night. Smoke sensitive individuals are encouraged to reduce their exposure by avoiding smoky areas, closing windows, or staying indoors.

    --------------------

    & this was the result: Caples creek fire

    A 3,435-acre wildfire that originated as a prescribed burn in the Eldorado National Forest has been 100 percent contained, the U.S. Forest Service said late Friday morning. ... The burn zone is on the northern ridge of Caples Creek, near Highway 88.Nov 1, 2019


    I was up there when they started the burn & then five days later the wind picked up..

    I was going up to a peak about 10,000ft & saw the smoke that was going down into the valley suddenly change & come up towards us, although we continued.

    Such is life now in the Mt's of Calif
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."



  13. #117 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    30,960
    Thanks
    5,037
    Thanked 13,415 Times in 9,336 Posts
    Groans
    98
    Groaned 2,883 Times in 2,650 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post


    We have these in every direction-north, north-west, north-east, south-east, south & south-west & west.......

    I just drove from Redding to San Diego there and back. That covers most of the state. Never saw a flame, smoke everywhere north of LA.

    GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE needs to be faced head on. Global effort is needed.

  14. #118 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    30,670
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I just drove from Redding to San Diego there and back. That covers most of the state. Never saw a flame, smoke everywhere north of LA.

    GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE needs to be faced head on. Global effort is needed.
    Damn, that is a heLLLaVA long drive, especially in this smoke..

    I don't think there is anything right on or near Highway 5 but there are several fires up & down both side of the state....... Over on 395 isn't as bad most of the time over the last week or two........

    How do you feel about logging & having ppl building their 3rd homes up in Mt be on their own, you build it you save it & your insurance company.......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."



  15. #119 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    104,067
    Thanks
    8,004
    Thanked 29,571 Times in 23,572 Posts
    Groans
    2,649
    Groaned 2,310 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Biden can put into play all the solutions he and Obama came up with between 2008 and 2016........those were good years for California.......not a single fire.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  16. #120 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    104,067
    Thanks
    8,004
    Thanked 29,571 Times in 23,572 Posts
    Groans
    2,649
    Groaned 2,310 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post




    -----------------------------

    Caples Prescribed Fire
    Posted on June 28, 2019




    Caples Prescribed Fire on Sunday Continues Restoration Project

    Smoke will be visible from Highway 88 and Highway 50

    PLACERVILLE, Calif. – Firefighters on the Eldorado National Forest will burn 143 acres approximately four miles northwest of Kirkwood this Sunday if weather conditions allow. The two units to be burned are within an 8,800 acre multi-year prescribed fire project in the Caples Creek watershed. Depending on fuel consumption and other factors, it may take two days to successfully complete the burn operations. Visitors should not be alarmed by the smoke that will be visible from Highway 88 and Highway 50.

    “An incredible amount of work is needed before fire can be safely reintroduced into watersheds like this one,” said Forest Supervisor Laurence Crabtree. “This project involves constructing 25 miles of handline and a lot of thinning. Restoration partners make projects like this possible.”

    The upcoming prescribed fire is being accomplished through a partnership with the El Dorado Irrigation District (EID) and the Sierra Nevada Conservancy (SNC) with grant funding received by EID from SNC’s Watershed Improvement Program (Proposition 1). The Caples Creek watershed is rich in biological diversity and provides a vital community water supply for 110,000 people in EID’s service area.

    The area to be burned is on the northern ridge above Caples Creek near Buck Pasture and Hay Flat. Portions of Hay Flat Trail will be temporarily closed.

    Approximately 55 firefighters will conduct the upcoming prescribed fire using hand ignition within established control lines. Resources for the operation include 4 engines, 1 water tender, the Iron Mountain Handcrew (Crew 26), and the Eldorado Hotshots. The units being burned are part of a strategy for securing the ridge and the perimeter of the watershed to allow prescribed fire ignitions by helicopter in the future.

    Short term smoke is expected and may be present in the Lake Tahoe Basin, Carson City, or Reno with the prevailing southwest winds. Smoke may also occur in Kirkwood, Kyburz, Strawberry and Meyers due to the tendency for smoke to settle with cool air at night. Smoke sensitive individuals are encouraged to reduce their exposure by avoiding smoky areas, closing windows, or staying indoors.

    --------------------

    & this was the result: Caples creek fire

    A 3,435-acre wildfire that originated as a prescribed burn in the Eldorado National Forest has been 100 percent contained, the U.S. Forest Service said late Friday morning. ... The burn zone is on the northern ridge of Caples Creek, near Highway 88.Nov 1, 2019


    I was up there when they started the burn & then five days later the wind picked up..

    I was going up to a peak about 10,000ft & saw the smoke that was going down into the valley suddenly change & come up towards us, although we continued.

    Such is life now in the Mt's of Calif
    gosh I wonder if an out of control fire should really be classified as a controlled burn........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 01-12-2021, 03:55 PM
  2. Calif. colleges may ask students if they are gay
    By cawacko in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
  3. Calif. gov signs bill to prevent circumcision bans
    By Cancel 2018. 3 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 09:31 PM
  4. New Normal
    By Topspin in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 05:22 AM
  5. We are so used to it, this is normal...
    By Jarod in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 03:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •