Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Calif is on fire again~the new normal-what needs to be done to prevent this??

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Yes, I know this, I live in the SactO area........

I mentioned specifically the forestry dept-that is not even mentioned in your article from the Bee......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,930 Times in 11,517 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Problems with burns:

1) Fires get hot fast...expensive plus liability problems if a fire gets away
    Quite true.
    2) CO2 released
    CO2 is not a problem. It is a naturally occurring gas. It has no capability to warm the Earth.
    3) expensive legal fees due to challenges, plus schedules get wonky because judges run things and they dont generally give a fuck adding more cost.
    Judges don't have the authority either...but it IS the SOTC.
    4) It is increasingly impossible to get permission to do a burn when people are crying about the wild animals and short term damage to watersheds
    True.
    5) Citizens do not like either burn scars or smoke, and they will be encourage to blame the ones who did it.
    True.

However, you are missing an important detail here. Burning forests is a waste of resources.

Log them.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Quite true.

CO2 is not a problem. It is a naturally occurring gas. It has no capability to warm the Earth.

Judges don't have the authority either...but it IS the SOTC.

True.

True.

However, you are missing an important detail here. Burning forests is a waste of resources.

Log them.
    What needs to be done is thinning and cleaning out the underbrush, but that would take a forest army. Instead we are going to let them continue to burn. What I do not know is what kind of quality we are going to have after the burns, these are very hot fires, even after say 30 years are they going to grow back in anything close to being a real forest on their own? There wont be any help, almost all of the maintenance budgets are gone now, plowed into firefighting, what little is left goes into fire prevention...preventive burns mostly.

The forests of the West are a testament to the failure of the American political class to get the work done, they have long rather fuck around and play childish political games. This has very little to do with global warming though the left will claim otherwise forever because by doing so they both push their agenda and push away the blame they have earned for bad quality work.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

“What needs to be done to prevent this?”

Ban gender reveal parties? Ban gender reveal party favors? It’s the state that bans...I’m sure they’ll find that something to needs to be banned.

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I saw some debate about control burns as I read through this thread. They do help, along with select cut logging. I live next to Corps of engineer land ... over 35,000 acres. They control burn every year at certain times of the year when it can be more safely done. It works and I’m a proponent of it.

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Bill,

Mind boggling:

How can anybody look at California today and still deny climate change?
    I do not deny climate change. The weather and climate are most definitely different than when I was younger. I am skeptical as to how much we contribute to it.

I also know that people have been leaving here and going there to help fight fire all of my life. One of the men at church is 93 and he has so many stories of flying in to California and Oregon to fight fire.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2019/05/16...s-are-managed/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-11-2020)

8. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I do not deny climate change. The weather and climate are most definitely different than when I was younger. I am skeptical as to how much we contribute to it.

I also know that people have been leaving here and going there to help fight fire all of my life. One of the men at church is 93 and he has so many stories of flying in to California and Oregon to fight fire.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2019/05/16...s-are-managed/
    I'm seeing it all over social media in the Bay Area and the state about climate change. And getting into the weeds regarding local politics there's a big YIMBY movement (YES In My Backyard) regarding housing among certain progressives which states we need to build more housing and we need to build more dense housing in urban areas near public transportation to prevent continued suburban sprawl and reliance on automobiles. However the NIMBY movement here is STRONG. Now the YIMBY movement has come out firing (no pun intended) at the NIMBY's over these fires and climate change. Here's a great example.

9. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'm seeing it all over social media in the Bay Area and the state about climate change. And getting into the weeds regarding local politics there's a big YIMBY movement (YES In My Backyard) regarding housing among certain progressives which states we need to build more housing and we need to build more dense housing in urban areas near public transportation to prevent continued suburban sprawl and reliance on automobiles. However the NIMBY movement here is STRONG. Now the YIMBY movement has come out firing (no pun intended) at the NIMBY's over these fires and climate change. Here's a great example.

I watched part of the gov speech on tv yesterday, & not willingly....

I was pretty disappointed when he had three other guys talk about the fire situations, in a smoldering (some place some where) & sounded just like trumpkins in their praise of him & the great job he is doing-it was embarrassing but I doubt anyone else was watching it.......

Honestly I listened to nothing he had to say prior to them talking as I was on the phone but I did catch gavins line, something to the effect of "don't tell me there is no climate change"..........

That kinda pissed me off as he is simply trying to blame it on that, rather than the shitty job the state/fed/counties aka gubment has done "managing" the forests in this country.......

If there was or was not climate change would having 10 times more trees & bush out there than is sustainable going to fuckin blow up one day sooner or later??

This aint BC, Canada, we have a dry season 9 months or longer most years & you add to many trees, hot dry conditions, NATURALLY OCCURRING dry lightening is gonna do what nature has done for ever-burn shit down!!!

If by global warming they mean humans stopping the natural occurring cycle of burn & renewal, then yea, but I don't think that is what he meant......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

10. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I watched part of the gov speech on tv yesterday, & not willingly....

I was pretty disappointed when he had three other guys talk about the fire situations, in a smoldering (some place some where) & sounded just like trumpkins in their praise of him & the great job he is doing-it was embarrassing but I doubt anyone else was watching it.......

Honestly I listened to nothing he had to say prior to them talking as I was on the phone but I did catch gavins line, something to the effect of "don't tell me there is no climate change"..........

That kinda pissed me off as he is simply trying to blame it on that, rather than the shitty job the state/fed/counties aka gubment has done "managing" the forests in this country.......

If there was or was not climate change would having 10 times more trees & bush out there than is sustainable going to fuckin blow up one day sooner or later??

This aint BC, Canada, we have a dry season 9 months or longer most years & you add to many trees, hot dry conditions, NATURALLY OCCURRING dry lightening is gonna do what nature has done for ever-burn shit down!!!

If by global warming they mean humans stopping the natural occurring cycle of burn & renewal, then yea, but I don't think that is what he meant......
    It’s interesting you say that man because there are local progressives I follow on Twitter going off on Newsom yesterday as well. Yes climate change is real but that doesn’t excuse us (California) from everything else we aren’t doing just like you mentioned.

11. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

It’s interesting you say that man because there are local progressives I follow on Twitter going off on Newsom yesterday as well. Yes climate change is real but that doesn’t excuse us (California) from everything else we aren’t doing just like you mentioned.
    Heather said today that according to current models humans are responsible for 30-50% of the increase in drought in the West. Keep in mind that the fires are not burning like they are only because of drought....poor management of the forests is responsible for a lot of it, in my opinion probably most of the problem between lack of maintenance and that the forests have the wrong trees and too many trees because humans put them there during the 1930's and early 40's.

19:07
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

12. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well it is a problem w/ a solution,(if it can be called that) but one that is unpalatable for most ppl of whatever political belief on the climate.......

They allowed the fire in Yellowstone to burn itself out "NATURALLY" & while it did not look as pretty for many years, it is coming back...

They learned long ago w/ the Giant Sequoia that fire needs to be part of their plans...........

13. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,022 Times in 8,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Ban gender reveal parties? Ban gender reveal party favors? It’s the state that bans...I’m sure they’ll find that something to needs to be banned.
    No need to ban gender reveal parties, or gender reveal party favors, but it would be a good idea to ban fireworks during excessively dry times. That goes for fireworks that are gender reveal fireworks.

Gender reveal fireworks seem stupid, but in general it is the stupid that anyone should be allowed to do (like wearing sandals with socks). Fireworks over dry kindling is the type of stupid that should be restricted (like drunken driving).

I honestly do not understand why any of this is controversial.

14. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I saw some debate about control burns as I read through this thread. They do help, along with select cut logging. I live next to Corps of engineer land ... over 35,000 acres. They control burn every year at certain times of the year when it can be more safely done. It works and I’m a proponent of it.
    I agree. Humans tend to go overboard, and not realize that some fires are good. Fires are essential for the health of the forrest. When we remove all fire, kindling builds up, and it becomes dangerous.

That being said, a controlled fire in a suburban neighborhood is nearly impossible. There are some complex problems out there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-13-2020)

16. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A random irony:

Bambi was famously endangered by a forrest fire in the eponymous movie. Many people were against all forrest fires to save the deer. But without forrest fires to clear away fields, the deer will all die of starvation.

There is a balance to the world. If we manage things right, we work with that balance.

17. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    A random irony:

Bambi was famously endangered by a forrest fire in the eponymous movie. Many people were against all forrest fires to save the deer. But without forrest fires to clear away fields, the deer will all die of starvation.

There is a balance to the world. If we manage things right, we work with that balance.
    Oddly enough Disney bambi did play some role in that.........